Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

I nearly got thrown off a CO flight for saying this;

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I nearly got thrown off a CO flight for saying this;

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2011, 7:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
mods, please close this thread. It has become very apparent that people can't offer their opinions without bringing prejudices into it. To those that contributed positively, thank you.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gawhite411
Agree completely.
Why? It's not really any different than reclining in the air, is it?
Old Mar 3, 2011, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nypdLieu
As for the flight attendant aspect of it, I will write CO a letter explaining my side of the story.
Why? The FA didn't do anything wrong. Regardless of any instigation, you demonstrated yourself as combative and disruptive. I don't blame the FA at all for their actions.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA/DL plat to AA
Originally Posted by gawhite411
Or it means he's used to being a state sanctioned bully backed up by other authority figures. So he thought he would bully another passenger and got called out on it. I'm willing bet the story (which even on the OP's facts I would put 80% of blame on him) has been highly skewed. The truth is probably even worse for him.
Originally Posted by theblakefish
+1...typical cop...
Uncool. I think Lieu was the first to admit that this wasn't his finest moment, and that he allowed them to get the best of them. In fact, he pretty was pretty clear that he had some culpability here. My guess is that the runs counter to your "typical cop" stereotype. He's also a frequently poster on the DL forum and I while we disagree on the merits of Skymiles, he certainly doesn't strike anyone there as a "state sanctioned bully." And, yes, I am former law enforcement, but I think I'm being pretty objective here.

Now, back to the real issue at hand: the seat recline issue is more of a religious discussion. That said, Lieu, recline at the gate? In spacious CO Y class? Well, now you know how that turns out.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 8:28 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
+1...typical cop...
How do you know OP is a cop? Maybe he/she is a meter maid...
Old Mar 3, 2011, 8:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ONTRandy
And, yes, I am former law enforcement, but I think I'm being pretty objective here.
Blue wall of silence strikes again.

I've reviewed the evidence above and I find the OP to have gotten off easy. Reclining when on the ground is obnoxious and calling a passenger an obsecenity loudly enough to attract the attention of a harredd FA during the controlled chaos that is boarding is 100% unacceptable and indicates a SEVERE temperment issue. Frankly, the OP should have been evicted from the flight and met by law enforcement (not his buddyies either) at the gate for nice trip to the clink.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Mar 4, 2011 at 12:31 pm Reason: Fixed UBB code
Old Mar 3, 2011, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Pres? Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton, Avis, Hertz
I'll take the high road on that one. Nice reply though, but being a cop has nothing to do with this this particular thread,. I will recommend deletion of your inapropriate reply.
Now you take the high road?
Old Mar 3, 2011, 8:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by sbm12
Why? The FA didn't do anything wrong. Regardless of any instigation, you demonstrated yourself as combative and disruptive. I don't blame the FA at all for their actions.
Totally agree!
Old Mar 3, 2011, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Good afternoon;

Earlier this week I was on a CO flight (EWR to SXM).

I was traveling with the misses and NEVER do I start any kind of shennanigans with anyone. I take my seat and keep to myself.

As is customary when I take my seat, I recline the seatback to enjoy the few extra inches of comfort while still on the ground. As soon as the forward boarding door is closed, I put the seat to its normal position.

Now, let me get to the juicy details:

I was seated in coach for this flight.

After I recline my coach seat, the person sitting behind me starts kneeing my seat back repeatedly. Then, she starts making loud comments, obviously so I could hear them, to her travel partner (could've been her husband, boyfriend, brother...not really sure).

The comments were of a nature that I shouldn't have my seat reclined, that it was against the rules and I obviously have no idea what I am doing.

Here's my first mistake (yes, I do admit some culpability).

I turn around and tell the lady kicking my seat that if you ask me to not recline my seat, I'll move it forward a little bit, I tell her she doesn't need to kick my seatback. Again she says, well its against Continental policy to recline your seat before take off.

Some more words were exchanged between us, as things obviously start taking a turn for the worse. The lady sitting behind eventually stops a flight attendant and asks her to have me please move my seat forward. The flight attendant says I am allowed to have it reclined until the safety demonstration begings. So, at this point I decide the heck with it, I'm gonna leave my seat reclined.

After some more back and forth and nastiness, I finally turn around and call the couple sitting behind me an a$$hole. Not to loud, but loud enough for the lead flight attendant to hear me as he walked by. At this point he stops and engages me and without him even asking what the problem was, he threatened to have me removed from the plane.

Everytime I tried to explain to him what the problem was, he just said, Sir, I will have you removed from the plane.

At this point I am very aggravated now, my voice raising, trying to remain calm, I ask for the flight attendants name. he gave me his first name and said thats all I am getting.

Finally, after threatening me one last time with removing me from the plane, we push back and the people sitting behind me were given different seats.

I guess I feel like I was treated pretty badly by the CO FA, and I'm really not sure what to do about it.

He didnt care about what the problem was, only that he seemed to want to throw me off the plane.
Reclining your seat before takeoff is rude, rules or no rules. Don't do it dude.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Billiken
"Can't we all just, get a long?"R. King

In the spirit of full disclosure, my FT signature used to be:
Continental treats me like a king.....Rodney King.
A long what?
Old Mar 3, 2011, 8:48 pm

Why does the OP feel the need to recline his or her seat while on the on the ground? You might get, what, 20 or 25 total minutes of recline? Does the OP have some sort of medical condition where he or she needs that recline or will dissolve into steam like the Wicked Witch of the West?
^
OP is "melting! Melting! Oh, what a world, what a world . . ."
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA/DL plat to AA
[QUOTE=gawhite411;15971983]
Originally Posted by ONTRandy
And, yes, I am former law enforcement, but I think I'm being pretty objective here.

QUOTE]

Blue wall of silence strikes again.

I've reviewed the evidence above and I find the OP to have gotten off easy. Reclining when on the ground is obnoxious and calling a passenger an obsecenity loudly enough to attract the attention of a harredd FA during the controlled chaos that is boarding is 100% unacceptable and indicates a SEVERE temperment issue. Frankly, the OP should have been evicted from the flight and met by law enforcement (not his buddyies either) at the gate for nice trip to the clink.
Morbid curiosity gets the best of me....how is saying the OP admits that he is at least partially to blame and then suggesting that reclining on the ground is not in good form any form of "blue wall of silence?"
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
I am always amused when two .......s meet. Especially so when it devolves into each party insisting the other party is being an ......., and them both being right.

I don't see anything wrong with reclining your seat at the gate. If it's good in the air, why isn't it good on the ground? (Although I personally don't do so as I'd usually rather take a nap and having to put the seat back up before takeoff interferes with the nap.)

But you can't call people .......s. Even when they are being .......s. That just puts you in their company. The FA was on the ball on this one - you needed to calm down, and if you were not able to accept the FA's direction that you change your behavior, the FA absolutely should have removed you from the plane.

I suspect the OP here needs an attitude correction in general - even the posts demanding the thread be closed indicates an inability to comprehend that whatever on-the-job authority they may have does not extend off-the-job.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Sometimes it all depends on how the recline happens.

There are those who jerk the seat back, startling those behind them.
There are those who look back first and gently glide the seat back.
There are hybrid versions.

Those who jerk the seat back get no cooperation from me.
Those who turn around first receive my grace!
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I'm surprised no one has commented on the professional handling of the situation by the FA.

The FA managed to keep the peace despite the challenging characters on board.

A hearty Rah! Rah! to the CO crew for handling this in such a professional manner! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.