Wiki Posts
Search

Purchase Elite Status?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2011, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Purchase Elite Status?

Ok I know technically anyone can purchase status based on the new CO policy of selling EQM's but what is going on over at CO??

In todays mail, my wife receive a tri-fold card from CO Onepass thats says "Even if you didnt earn Gold Elite status for 2011, you can still enjoy it for."

Is this something new? I know ive read about people being offered to retain status with challenges and i even seem to recall a few years back someone paying a fee to retain their status.

Ive never seen this card before. In short it says You can purchase 2011 Gold Elite status for $495 by calling........Your gold membership will be valid thru Jan 31, 2012.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

In previous years they have offered such to a targeted group based on relatively high spend compared to EQMs. So if you were Gold and then had 40K EQMs on M fares you'd likely get the offer. Dunno if those targeting metrics apply to your wife or not, but that's what the deal was in past years.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 5:10 pm

My daughters have received like offers in previous years, based on (I think) paid BF fares just short of actual qualification. since they haven't dropped below silver level, and all I really care about is free bags and elite seating and access, I have never taken CO up on this offer. But it's not unusual.

Robin
Old Mar 3, 2011, 5:22 pm

Programs: Continental
I did not get that. I got a challenge to fly 17,500 files in 90 days - Only on continental metal (not on UA metal). would be fine if I could use UA metal.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 6:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Weez_1000
Ok I know technically anyone can purchase status based on the new CO policy of selling EQM's but what is going on over at CO??

In todays mail, my wife receive a tri-fold card from CO Onepass thats says "Even if you didnt earn Gold Elite status for 2011, you can still enjoy it for."

Is this something new? I know ive read about people being offered to retain status with challenges and i even seem to recall a few years back someone paying a fee to retain their status.

Ive never seen this card before. In short it says You can purchase 2011 Gold Elite status for $495 by calling........Your gold membership will be valid thru Jan 31, 2012.
Got same offer here. Had about 30K EQM and 30EQP in 2010. At 6'5" I want preferred seating (exit/bulhead) at time of booking and 100% Bonus miles but cannot justify at $495 for what will be basically same EQM/EQP in 2011.

I wilb be scrambling at T-24 to get decent seat.

Last edited by milesmilesmiles; Mar 3, 2011 at 6:22 pm
Old Mar 3, 2011, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Interesting, My wife was silver last year and doesn't fly much but when traveling on vacations (which is the only time she flies) its usually in F or BF on paid tickets. Which brings me to my next question, I usually pay with my credit card for all my family's tickets but my spend only reflects my ticket price (or so it seems)

Not sure what could have triggered the offer, she wasnt really close to gold and her spend on her one pass account shows very low so that couldnt be it. Should her ticket price show in her spend even if I pay for it? if not, should it be included in mine?
Old Mar 3, 2011, 7:04 pm

Interesting, My wife was silver last year and doesn't fly much but when traveling on vacations (which is the only time she flies) its usually in F or BF on paid tickets. Which brings me to my next question, I usually pay with my credit card for all my family's tickets but my spend only reflects my ticket price (or so it seems)

Not sure what could have triggered the offer, she wasnt really close to gold and her spend on her one pass account shows very low so that couldnt be it. Should her ticket price show in her spend even if I pay for it? if not, should it be included in mine?
Anything spent on tickets for you wife should reflect on her account.. I believe it's only for CO purchases, maybe for Co metal only (rules are listed on CO.com). Boy, I WISH that total CO spend counted for the buyer - last year our family's total CO spend was over $75 K (as per year end cc statement). But divide that by four, and take away non-flight revenue, etc, and it drops to only about $25k for Mr Fish..

Robin
Old Mar 3, 2011, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
I got the tri-fold offering me to buy up to Platinum (for $795). The odd thing is that I am Platinum.

I'm honestly sick of the selling of status. RDMs are one thing, but shouldn't elite status be the reward for those of us that actually fly enough to earn it? This year I'll have about 150K BIS miles on CO. Good to know that someone with 50,001 EQMs and a spare $800 can get the same benefits.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SteveHK
I got the tri-fold offering me to buy up to Platinum (for $795). The odd thing is that I am Platinum.

I'm honestly sick of the selling of status. RDMs are one thing, but shouldn't elite status be the reward for those of us that actually fly enough to earn it? This year I'll have about 150K BIS miles on CO. Good to know that someone with 50,001 EQMs and a spare $800 can get the same benefits.
Agree totally, I wouldnt feel as bad if someone flew 70K miles and got the offer but so far im not making sense of how my wife got the offer.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Agree totally, I wouldnt feel as bad if someone flew 70K miles and got the offer but so far im not making sense of how my wife got the offer.
Probably had greater spend than most 70k fliers and lower costs to the airline to boot.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fishbait
Anything spent on tickets for you wife should reflect on her account.. I believe it's only for CO purchases, maybe for Co metal only (rules are listed on CO.com). Boy, I WISH that total CO spend counted for the buyer - last year our family's total CO spend was over $75 K (as per year end cc statement). But divide that by four, and take away non-flight revenue, etc, and it drops to only about $25k for Mr Fish..

Robin
Hmm i just went to try and reconcile the spend for this year to see if i could understand how it was calculated and the spend is no longer shown in either of our OP accounts. Did they stop showing total spend recently?
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by raehl311
Probably had greater spend than most 70k fliers and lower costs to the airline to boot.
*IF* thats the case and it is quite possible. They should just publish a spend threshold for each level. Im sure it would influence some people to buy higher fare tickets.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Pres? Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton, Avis, Hertz
Im sure it would influence some people to buy higher fare tickets.
Im sure it would discourage some bargain buyers as well
Old Mar 4, 2011, 1:06 am

Hmm i just went to try and reconcile the spend for this year to see if i could understand how it was calculated and the spend is no longer shown in either of our OP accounts. Did they stop showing total spend recently?
Ours are gone from the website too. They were there a couple of weeks ago, because I reconciled it then... Wonder why they pulled it?

Robin
Old Mar 4, 2011, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by Fishbait
Ours are gone from the website too. They were there a couple of weeks ago, because I reconciled it then... Wonder why they pulled it?

Robin
Starting in 2011 you will no longer qualify for Pres Plat but rather GS and in accordance with UA's GS program total spend is not published.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.