Why torture SO many elites (EWR-CO)

Old Mar 1, 11, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Why torture SO many elites (EWR-CO)

Waiting on CO 243 ewr-ord today. 20 FC seats, 3 booked and checked in. The flight leaves in 45 minutes and NO ONE has been upgraded yet. 17 seats open accoding to PDA (and 17 on the w/l). Why not move up at least some of us before last minute gate chaos?? They're not gonna sell 17 FC seats OR even 17 FC paid upgrades in 45 minutes.
Old Mar 1, 11, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Isnt the system setup to allow for "tens of dollars" upgrades at check in, until the GA decides to clear the waitlist?

Maybe the GA was too busy.
Old Mar 1, 11, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by elitefreak View Post
Waiting on CO 243 ewr-ord today. 20 FC seats, 3 booked and checked in. The flight leaves in 45 minutes and NO ONE has been upgraded yet. 17 seats open accoding to PDA (and 17 on the w/l). Why not move up at least some of us before last minute gate chaos?? They're not gonna sell 17 FC seats OR even 17 FC paid upgrades in 45 minutes.
Up to 12 booked now, with only 9 on the w/l. Poor Han, J.

But the number of "where are my upgrades" threads is getting rather annoying.
Old Mar 1, 11, 1:40 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Sounds like the UA approach of many of my recent flights... they hold out until *after* boarding starts.
Old Mar 1, 11, 1:58 pm

Looks like everyone got EUA'd except one person which is good...

OP I'd quit complaining and count your blessings, it's not an entitlement but an opportunity to upgrade with AVAILABILITY
Old Mar 1, 11, 2:30 pm

Programs: CO PPlat, United GS, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
Thumbs down GA upgrades only within 45 mins of flight departing

I was recently told by a gate agent "we don't clear any of the waitlisted upgrades until 45 mins before departure in order to give everyone a chance to buy-up at check-in."
Old Mar 1, 11, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
Isnt the system setup to allow for "tens of dollars" upgrades at check in, until the GA decides to clear the waitlist?
As we can not conclusively and accurately verify the examples of TOD upgrades (lacking fare code, amount, CO status, CO lifetime BIS, etc.), we must therefore deny they exist.

(even if they get reported every day here)
Old Mar 1, 11, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA*S/Club, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by jr_weaver View Post
I was recently told by a gate agent "we don't clear any of the waitlisted upgrades until 45 mins before departure in order to give everyone a chance to buy-up at check-in."
Nothing unusual about that, especially with the EUA system now running inside 24 hours. The upgrade list shown on-line is for battlefield upgrades -- if you get upgraded before you board, I'd consider that a plus.
Old Mar 1, 11, 2:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
In short, no.
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
As we can not conclusively and accurately verify the examples of TOD upgrades (lacking fare code, amount, CO status, CO lifetime BIS, etc.), we must therefore deny they exist.

(even if they get reported every day here)

I don't think anyone denies they exist. There is a difference between denying their existence and willfully choosing to not believe the process by which they are offered.
Old Mar 1, 11, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
I don't think anyone denies they exist. There is a difference between denying their existence and willfully choosing to not believe the process by which they are offered.
The process by which they are offered seems to be multiple processes actually - sometimes they produce TODs, sometimes OODs, sometimes HODs. Sometimes the fares map correctly on connecting itineraries, sometimes they don't. Sometimes B fares get discounted during OLCI, sometimes they don't.

Regardless, those $29-$59 buy-ups do appear, one way or another (though not for everyone of course)
Old Mar 1, 11, 3:06 pm

Because so many things can happen (in a Hub) most gate agents will not do their battlefield upgrades until 45 or 30 minutes (depends on the airport) prior to departure, when they restrict the flight to gate agent control only.
Old Mar 1, 11, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler View Post
Sounds like the UA approach of many of my recent flights... they hold out until *after* boarding starts.
In 111 segments on UA last year, I never had a GA start clearing upgrades after boarding had already started.
Old Mar 1, 11, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Plat,Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott PP, National EE,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies View Post
In 111 segments on UA last year, I never had a GA start clearing upgrades after boarding had already started.
+1

The only time a UA GA will wait to do upgrades is if it is a possible misconnect or someone not checked in. Most of the time, in the example cited above, it would be done well before boarding (well, at least most of the upgrades). In fact, UA IM will generally release almost every seat into NF 3-4 hours prior to flight lately, I have found
Old Mar 1, 11, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
Up to 12 booked now, with only 9 on the w/l. Poor Han, J.

But the number of "where are my upgrades" threads is getting rather annoying.
This wasn't a "where is my u/g" thread. It was "why do you do it this way"? Doesn't make sense. And, yes, the GA was extremely harried as she tried to print out a bazillion u/g boarding passes just as it was time to board. So, in CO's interest, it would make more sense to u/g most of these w/l'ed pax earlier so the boarding process can be smoother and faster (less delays).

Oh, two people refused their u/g to sit with colleagues; 1B went empty (next to me). So I guess that Han, J got in . . .
Old Mar 1, 11, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
I had a recent Saturday morning IAH-AUS flight that was almost completely empty. 20 F seats, 4 booked (none of which were upgrades) and about 5 of us on the standby list (of which, I was number 1).

Asked the PC agent if they can just clear the damn upgrade, but told me that the gate had control of the flight. She said she was perplexed why the gate hadn't cleared anyone, especially since there were like 30 pax total in Y.

Decided to be one of the last to board and got to the gate about 15 mins before departure. Asked the GA if I could clear the upgrade and she told me, "if it clears, I'll come get you on the plane." Not wanting to argue, I just boarded and took my whole empty row.

A few minutes later, she came onboard with a stack of upgraded boarding passes. The woman behind me asked to just stay where she was as she had just put her stuff up. The GA responded, "you have to sit in your ticketed seat." I was smart enough to have just put all my stuff in the F overhead while boarding.

It didn't seem like there was a hold out to sell the seats, just a lazy, lazy GA. Rare for IAH.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: