Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why torture SO many elites (EWR-CO)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2011, 10:33 pm

Programs: Delta 360, Alaska Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Maybe this is a silly question. But if you board the plane and there are more people on the wait-list than seats, will you loose your upgrade?

In other words if I am short on the list and think I will get it, but not sure, am I better off waiting or boarding and securing overhead storage?
Old Mar 1, 2011, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
Originally Posted by dmw650
Maybe this is a silly question. But if you board the plane and there are more people on the wait-list than seats, will you loose your upgrade?

In other words if I am short on the list and think I will get it, but not sure, am I better off waiting or boarding and securing overhead storage?
I can say from several personal experiences, the upgrade list will clear the same way whether you have boarded or not. If you are already onboard, an agent will come get you and let you know your new seat assignment.

Sometimes, it's been done in a really embarassing way, like when a GA one time got on the PA system to announce "Mr. K! Get your stuff and come on up to seat 3A in first class!" Sort of felt like I was on The Price is Right.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfogate
Because so many things can happen (in a Hub) most gate agents will not do their battlefield upgrades until 45 or 30 minutes (depends on the airport) prior to departure, when they restrict the flight to gate agent control only.
That makes sense, but what doesn't make sense is why revenue management didn't clear any upgrades via EUA prior to that point on what was clearly a very lightly loaded flight. I was trying to get a friend to Paris tomorrow, and the 764 flight had like 14-15 empty BF seats (of 35) the day before but no award availability. US had about 6 of 20 empty, and availability, so he's in a suite via PHL. CO revenue management can definitely be frustrating. (And this was a US award, so no waitlisting the CO segment, and no status benefits).

Originally Posted by SteveHK
Decided to be one of the last to board and got to the gate about 15 mins before departure. Asked the GA if I could clear the upgrade and she told me, "if it clears, I'll come get you on the plane." Not wanting to argue, I just boarded and took my whole empty row.
Sounds like someone wanted to be difficult for the sake of it. I've had several GAs thank me for (1) waiting to board until the upgrade cleared, saving her a trip down the jetway, or (2) making my way up (against traffic!) to the front after sitting in coach, once I saw my upgrade clear on the PDA. It seems like most GAs would prefer not to have to physically go get the passengers in coach, so go figure.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:49 am
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
I guess that's one alternative. The holding to the gate thing led to a rather absurd result yesterday. On UA flight from LGA-ORD; my upgrade had already cleared. Every few minutes the GA would announce who was #1 on the list and then say that everyone else should board and take their assigned seat. There was only 1 seat left in F. But this started about a half hour before boarding and every time the waitlist changed, a new announcment was made to identify the new reigning #1 on the waitlist. It was INCREDIBLY TACKY. I think on UA they don't come get you from your seat in coach.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 6:06 am

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
A little patience would've avoided much of the frustration above with the same results.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 6:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
sometimes they produce TODs, sometimes OODs, sometimes HODs.
Yes, because the fares involved may vary by tens to hundreds of dollars.
Sometimes the fares map correctly on connecting itineraries, sometimes they don't.
I haven't seen instances were they don't. Not saying that such doesn't exist, but there has been a lot fo discussion on this topic and that's not one I've seen.
Sometimes B fares get discounted during OLCI, sometimes they don't.
ibid.

Regardless, those $29-$59 buy-ups do appear, one way or another (though not for everyone of course)
Yup, just like they should in certain circumstances for certain customers on certain fares.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 6:47 am

Programs: United 1K, Alaska MVP 75K, HH Diamond
I think one thing this does show is that the benefits of u/g's clearing at the elite cut off times appears to be shrinking into an undignified scrum at the gate by the GA's.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 8:17 am

Programs: Silver MileagePlus, Diamond Hilton
Originally Posted by aacharya
But the number of "where are my upgrades" threads is getting rather annoying.
+1
Old Mar 2, 2011, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by gawhite411
I think on UA they don't come get you from your seat in coach.
They do come and get you out of Y. I've been given battlefield upgrades before, and a number of my FT friend have had the same..
Old Mar 3, 2011, 3:47 am

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
As we can not conclusively and accurately verify the examples of TOD upgrades (lacking fare code, amount, CO status, CO lifetime BIS, etc.), we must therefore deny they exist.

(even if they get reported every day here)
checking in at lga yesterday, the guy at the kiosk next to me said he was being offered a $29.00 upgrade. i asked if he was going to houston. yes. he took it. i have no other details. but i did see a pretty good deal for that guy.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 5:47 am

Programs: UA 1K and 1 Million Miles, Marriott Plat Premier and LT Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
CO600 (FLL - EWR) on 3/6/11 sits with 20 empty F seats at T-3 Days. I have never seen this before!
Old Mar 3, 2011, 7:06 am

Programs: UA 1K and 1 Million Miles, Marriott Plat Premier and LT Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by bearkatt
checking in at lga yesterday, the guy at the kiosk next to me said he was being offered a $29.00 upgrade. i asked if he was going to houston. yes. he took it. i have no other details. but i did see a pretty good deal for that guy.
We should all call/write $mi$ek and tell him how we do not like his new policy of TOD. We Elite expect and even demand out up grades for flying so many miles wiht CO. I am sure, like Gordon, Jeff will reconsider if we all band together.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
Originally Posted by davidash
I am sure, like Gordon, Jeff will reconsider if we all band together.
i laugh because i have no more tears.

Old Mar 3, 2011, 8:58 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
I think that they want to make it very clear that upgrades have become 'scraps that we throw at you at the last minute' and that is you really want one, pony up the TOD
Old Mar 3, 2011, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by usa18dca
Looks like everyone got EUA'd except one person which is good...

OP I'd quit complaining and count your blessings, it's not an entitlement but an opportunity to upgrade with AVAILABILITY
Definitely not complaining - just extremely puzzled how they are managing things. Doesn't make sense - i think most would agree. There are smarter ways to do things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.