FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Upgrading companion on UA operated flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/1189021-upgrading-companion-ua-operated-flight.html)

AEpilot76 Feb 28, 2011 5:27 am

Upgrading companion on UA operated flight

I'm CO Gold flying with a non status passenger on the same reservation (all flights operated by UA). When I log onto UA.com it says my upgrade is pending, however how does it work with the other passenger? Can I request a companion upgrade on UA at the airport?

BTW I tried searching but maybe I wasn't specific enough..

UA-NYC Feb 28, 2011 5:53 am

No need to request it, it happens automatically. Chances slim that he/she gets the UG though as they'll be at the bottom of the UG list (no status).

AEpilot76 Feb 28, 2011 5:57 am

Ok...so they will clear separately correct? As in, they won't pass me up because 2 seats aren't available for the upgrade?

Cuse44 Feb 28, 2011 6:02 am

Originally Posted by AEpilot76 (Post 15946152)
Ok...so they will clear separately correct? As in, they won't pass me up because 2 seats aren't available for the upgrade?

No, if you are in the same reservation you would need 2 seats to open up in NF (similar to R on CO) in order for both of you to clear into first (For upgrades in advance on UA, your "companion" carries your status. If there are two seats open at your upgrade window or any point after your window up until check-in (or sometimes after OLCI), both of you will clear into first. However, if NF=2 is never open, you will go to the airport list (believe UA calls it departure management) and you will go on the standby list at each of your individual status (i.e your status and her non-status way at the bottom of the list). I guess the moral of the story is if you don't get it in advance, you aren't getting it.

UA-NYC Feb 28, 2011 6:02 am

No, you will get passed up (possibly/likely) as sometimes only 1 seat is released at a time.

If it's a busy route and you really want the UG, split the PNR. But that could cause your companion to lose an E+ seat, not have free bags, etc.

Or - you let it go to the airport and hope for the best.

AEpilot76 Feb 28, 2011 6:06 am

Hmmm...ok thanks...I'll split the PNR and hope the E+ seat isn't lost (bags aren't an issue)

It's IAH-DEN-PSP-DEN-IAH so I imagine the IAH-DEN-IAH segments are near impossible (especially on a fri and mon)

UA-NYC Feb 28, 2011 6:25 am

I'd check F availability right before 72 hours (when UDU starts for your level). If there are a lot of seats available, might be worth the split - if F0 or close to it, stay together and shoot for row 6 / exit row.