Domestic Upgrade??? What's That!?!?!?

 
Old Feb 25, 11, 11:04 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Big Sky Country
Programs: CO PLT, DL GM, Hertz President Circle, SPG Platinum
Posts: 450
Domestic Upgrade??? What's That!?!?!?

3 Days till Departure

CO Platinum Elite

Booked at CO.com

OP Number in the reservation

CO operated flight (ORD-PBI)

Travelling Solo

18 Seats open in F (Capacity 20)

Huh?????


(and I swore I would never bi%$h about this; but . . . really, REALLY!??)
idriveuride is offline  
Old Feb 25, 11, 11:29 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Coast
Programs: UA 1k & MillM
Posts: 562
Originally Posted by idriveuride View Post
3 Days till Departure

CO Platinum Elite

Booked at CO.com

OP Number in the reservation

CO operated flight (ORD-PBI)

Travelling Solo

18 Seats open in F (Capacity 20)

Huh?????


(and I swore I would never bi%$h about this; but . . . really, REALLY!??)
If you are on 1538 on Monday, it does look weird. PDA site says only 1/20 booked in F.

It is plausible something went wrong...It could be an error with the EUA processing or an error in the information we are getting of their website. Perhaps the flight in on the verge of being cancelled... In which case CO might regret giving an upgrade prematurely.
reinballe is offline  
Old Feb 25, 11, 11:40 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Big Sky Country
Programs: CO PLT, DL GM, Hertz President Circle, SPG Platinum
Posts: 450
Originally Posted by reinballe View Post
If you are on 1538 on Monday, it does look weird. PDA site says only 1/20 booked in F.

It is plausible something went wrong...It could be an error with the EUA processing or an error in the information we are getting of their website. Perhaps the flight in on the verge of being cancelled... In which case CO might regret giving an upgrade prematurely.
Yup! That's my bird
idriveuride is offline  
Old Feb 26, 11, 12:07 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Issaquah, WA(SEA) and Briarcliff, TX(AUS)
Programs: AS MVP Gold, CO MM Lifetime Gold
Posts: 780
Originally Posted by idriveuride View Post
Yup! That's my bird
I posted something similar about my flight last night...where are you on the UG list?
emcsweeney is offline  
Old Feb 26, 11, 12:40 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Coast
Programs: UA 1k & MillM
Posts: 562
Originally Posted by emcsweeney View Post
I posted something similar about my flight last night...where are you on the UG list?
UG list for those hoping for an EUA does not kick in bebore OLCI.
reinballe is offline  
Old Feb 26, 11, 10:24 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Coast
Programs: UA 1k & MillM
Posts: 562
Originally Posted by idriveuride View Post
Yup! That's my bird

Well that is one empty bird.

Now shows 2/20 in F (both upgraded) and just 5/57 in the elite section. That is not a lot of pax on a 739.

A good candidate for a flight that the airline would like to cancel... If that did not cause other disruptions.
reinballe is offline  
Old Feb 26, 11, 10:31 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Posts: 35,017
Originally Posted by reinballe View Post
UG list for those hoping for an EUA does not kick in bebore OLCI.
The UG list starts populating as people check in, but the UG list you see is not the ordering that is used to process the upgrades when EUA runs.
channa is offline  
Old Feb 26, 11, 11:25 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Coast
Programs: UA 1k & MillM
Posts: 562
Originally Posted by channa View Post
The UG list starts populating as people check in, but the UG list you see is not the ordering that is used to process the upgrades when EUA runs.
Indeed. You may have noted that I was responding to a poster who asked OP "where are you in the upgrade list". Which is indeed difficult to say 3 days before departure.

But there is something fishy about 1538 on Monday. Just 2/20 in F and 5/57 in elite section of the plane, and no EUA for a Plat?
reinballe is offline  
Old Feb 26, 11, 11:35 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Issaquah, WA(SEA) and Briarcliff, TX(AUS)
Programs: AS MVP Gold, CO MM Lifetime Gold
Posts: 780
Originally Posted by reinballe View Post
...But there is something fishy about 1538 on Monday. Just 2/20 in F and 5/57 in elite section of the plane, and no EUA for a Plat?
Like I was saying, that was the same thing I experienced last week and I also thought it was strange.
emcsweeney is offline  
Old Feb 26, 11, 11:55 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Coast
Programs: UA 1k & MillM
Posts: 562
Originally Posted by emcsweeney View Post
Like I was saying, that was the same thing I experienced last week and I also thought it was strange.

So did your plane turn out to be just as empty as the website indicated? I assume you eventually got the upgrade.

Either the EUA looks "broken" or the website displays inaccurate info about the load.
reinballe is offline  
Old Feb 27, 11, 12:41 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Issaquah, WA(SEA) and Briarcliff, TX(AUS)
Programs: AS MVP Gold, CO MM Lifetime Gold
Posts: 780
Originally Posted by reinballe View Post
...Either the EUA looks "broken" or the website displays inaccurate info about the load.
Imagine that Where's channa when we need him?
emcsweeney is offline  
Old Feb 27, 11, 5:10 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Posts: 3,318
Originally Posted by reinballe View Post
So did your plane turn out to be just as empty as the website indicated? I assume you eventually got the upgrade.

Either the EUA looks "broken" or the website displays inaccurate info about the load.
Or.......co is waiting to sell the tens-o-dollars ug seats. Fll-ewr this past week as a PP with 2/20 sold the ug list didn't change. At 2 hours prior to departure, I was #1. I watched as the front eventually filled to 16/20 and I was bumped to 2 on the list. (assume it was due to a higher fare PP).

The list eventually went 18/20 (ole jerk err Jeff is loving his t-o-d ugs). I made it after boarding began. Funny part was I waited to board and the list still showed 18/20 with me #2 but when I got to the machine the lady heard a beeb, typed on the keyboard, and handed me a boarding pass in F.

Oh well. This is the beginning of the end of my "only CO" loyalty. Hope these T-O-D ugs work well for co as I spread my $60k/yr spend around.
PhillyPhlyer40 is offline  
Old Feb 27, 11, 5:42 am
  #13  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Manhattan
Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Posts: 1,468
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40 View Post
Or.......co is waiting to sell the tens-o-dollars ug seats. Fll-ewr this past week as a PP with 2/20 sold the ug list didn't change. At 2 hours prior to departure, I was #1. I watched as the front eventually filled to 16/20 and I was bumped to 2 on the list. (assume it was due to a higher fare PP).

The list eventually went 18/20 (ole jerk err Jeff is loving his t-o-d ugs). I made it after boarding began. Funny part was I waited to board and the list still showed 18/20 with me #2 but when I got to the machine the lady heard a beeb, typed on the keyboard, and handed me a boarding pass in F.

Oh well. This is the beginning of the end of my "only CO" loyalty. Hope these T-O-D ugs work well for co as I spread my $60k/yr spend around.
I think with the hike in Y/B/M fares we will hopefully see the end of the TOD phenomenon. 60K seems like an incredible amount of spend. The UA folks will have to way in, but if that made you GS over there, things might still be okay for you. I think that in the new UA, GS will be the only people who have a halfway decent experience.
gawhite411 is offline  
Old Feb 27, 11, 5:52 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Posts: 35,017
Originally Posted by emcsweeney View Post
Imagine that Where's channa when we need him?
Not sure what to say here.

Not getting an upgrade on CO is par for the course. I wouldn't even bother with trying to identify whether this was deliberate or a technical glitch. It is what it is.




Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40 View Post
Or.......co is waiting to sell the tens-o-dollars ug seats. Fll-ewr this past week as a PP with 2/20 sold the ug list didn't change. At 2 hours prior to departure, I was #1. I watched as the front eventually filled to 16/20 and I was bumped to 2 on the list. (assume it was due to a higher fare PP).

The list eventually went 18/20 (ole jerk err Jeff is loving his t-o-d ugs). I made it after boarding began. Funny part was I waited to board and the list still showed 18/20 with me #2 but when I got to the machine the lady heard a beeb, typed on the keyboard, and handed me a boarding pass in F.
This is why I caution people about the upgrade list. It gives a false sense of indication. Not because of the TOD upgrades, but because the list is the airport checkin list. It's very possible that there were other Elites with Y/B/M ahead of you or higher Elites, but they weren't on the upgrade list because they had not yet checked in.

Or it's possible that a higher Elite was on the upgrade list below you, but when EUA ran, they were higher than you (because the tiebreaker is different for the upgrade list vs. EUA).

The upgrade list doesn't even come into play until the GA runs the upgrades (about 30 minutes out), so it's really only good for a rough guide.


Originally Posted by gawhite411 View Post
I think that in the new UA, GS will be the only people who have a halfway decent experience.
I disagree with this. With good buddy $misek in charge, it's debatable if even these folks will have a good experience.
channa is offline  
Old Feb 27, 11, 8:45 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Coast
Programs: UA 1k & MillM
Posts: 562
OP now in F.... Right? Still oddly late EUA, given circumstances.

Originally Posted by channa View Post
This is why I caution people about the upgrade list. It gives a false sense of indication. Not because of the TOD upgrades, but because the list is the airport checkin list. It's very possible that there were other Elites with Y/B/M ahead of you or higher Elites, but they weren't on the upgrade list because they had not yet checked in.
The website will show you the number of pax booked in F many days out + seatmap, which can be informative.

I think there is good news for OP.

The number just went up from 2/20 to 7/20... Pretty sure this was 5 EUAs because the seatmap went from 5/57 to 0/57 in the elite section.

Judging from the seatmap, this plane barely has enough pax to fill F, which makes the late EUA for Plat OP weird... Why talk of EUA 5 days out, ifit does not apply to this flight. This is a flight where all silvers are very likely to get upgraded.

Before you can see any reliable info on
reinballe is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: