FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Domestic Upgrade??? What's That!?!?!? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/1188304-domestic-upgrade-whats.html)

idriveuride Feb 25, 2011 11:04 pm

Domestic Upgrade??? What's That!?!?!?

3 Days till Departure

CO Platinum Elite

Booked at CO.com

OP Number in the reservation

CO operated flight (ORD-PBI)

Travelling Solo

18 Seats open in F (Capacity 20)

Huh?????

(and I swore I would never bi%$h about this; but . . . really, REALLY!??)

reinballe Feb 25, 2011 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by idriveuride (Post 15934933)
3 Days till Departure

CO Platinum Elite

Booked at CO.com

OP Number in the reservation

CO operated flight (ORD-PBI)

Travelling Solo

18 Seats open in F (Capacity 20)

Huh?????

(and I swore I would never bi%$h about this; but . . . really, REALLY!??)

If you are on 1538 on Monday, it does look weird. PDA site says only 1/20 booked in F.

It is plausible something went wrong...It could be an error with the EUA processing or an error in the information we are getting of their website. Perhaps the flight in on the verge of being cancelled... In which case CO might regret giving an upgrade prematurely.

idriveuride Feb 25, 2011 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by reinballe (Post 15935000)
If you are on 1538 on Monday, it does look weird. PDA site says only 1/20 booked in F.

It is plausible something went wrong...It could be an error with the EUA processing or an error in the information we are getting of their website. Perhaps the flight in on the verge of being cancelled... In which case CO might regret giving an upgrade prematurely.

Yup! That's my bird

emcsweeney Feb 26, 2011 12:07 am

Originally Posted by idriveuride (Post 15935025)
Yup! That's my bird

I posted something similar about my flight last night...where are you on the UG list?

reinballe Feb 26, 2011 12:40 am

Originally Posted by emcsweeney (Post 15935085)
I posted something similar about my flight last night...where are you on the UG list?

UG list for those hoping for an EUA does not kick in bebore OLCI.

reinballe Feb 26, 2011 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by idriveuride (Post 15935025)
Yup! That's my bird

Well that is one empty bird.

Now shows 2/20 in F (both upgraded) and just 5/57 in the elite section. That is not a lot of pax on a 739.

A good candidate for a flight that the airline would like to cancel... If that did not cause other disruptions.

channa Feb 26, 2011 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by reinballe (Post 15935156)
UG list for those hoping for an EUA does not kick in bebore OLCI.

The UG list starts populating as people check in, but the UG list you see is not the ordering that is used to process the upgrades when EUA runs.

reinballe Feb 26, 2011 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by channa (Post 15939662)
The UG list starts populating as people check in, but the UG list you see is not the ordering that is used to process the upgrades when EUA runs.

Indeed. You may have noted that I was responding to a poster who asked OP "where are you in the upgrade list". Which is indeed difficult to say 3 days before departure.

But there is something fishy about 1538 on Monday. Just 2/20 in F and 5/57 in elite section of the plane, and no EUA for a Plat?

emcsweeney Feb 26, 2011 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by reinballe (Post 15939775)
...But there is something fishy about 1538 on Monday. Just 2/20 in F and 5/57 in elite section of the plane, and no EUA for a Plat?

Like I was saying, that was the same thing I experienced last week and I also thought it was strange.

reinballe Feb 26, 2011 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by emcsweeney (Post 15939796)
Like I was saying, that was the same thing I experienced last week and I also thought it was strange.

So did your plane turn out to be just as empty as the website indicated? I assume you eventually got the upgrade.

Either the EUA looks "broken" or the website displays inaccurate info about the load.

emcsweeney Feb 27, 2011 12:41 am

Originally Posted by reinballe (Post 15939845)
...Either the EUA looks "broken" or the website displays inaccurate info about the load.

Imagine that :p Where's channa when we need him?

PhillyPhlyer40 Feb 27, 2011 5:10 am

Originally Posted by reinballe (Post 15939845)
So did your plane turn out to be just as empty as the website indicated? I assume you eventually got the upgrade.

Either the EUA looks "broken" or the website displays inaccurate info about the load.

Or.......co is waiting to sell the tens-o-dollars ug seats. Fll-ewr this past week as a PP with 2/20 sold the ug list didn't change. At 2 hours prior to departure, I was #1. I watched as the front eventually filled to 16/20 and I was bumped to 2 on the list. (assume it was due to a higher fare PP).

The list eventually went 18/20 (ole jerk err Jeff is loving his t-o-d ugs). I made it after boarding began. Funny part was I waited to board and the list still showed 18/20 with me #2 but when I got to the machine the lady heard a beeb, typed on the keyboard, and handed me a boarding pass in F.

Oh well. This is the beginning of the end of my "only CO" loyalty. Hope these T-O-D ugs work well for co as I spread my $60k/yr spend around.

gawhite411 Feb 27, 2011 5:42 am

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40 (Post 15940412)
Or.......co is waiting to sell the tens-o-dollars ug seats. Fll-ewr this past week as a PP with 2/20 sold the ug list didn't change. At 2 hours prior to departure, I was #1. I watched as the front eventually filled to 16/20 and I was bumped to 2 on the list. (assume it was due to a higher fare PP).

The list eventually went 18/20 (ole jerk err Jeff is loving his t-o-d ugs). I made it after boarding began. Funny part was I waited to board and the list still showed 18/20 with me #2 but when I got to the machine the lady heard a beeb, typed on the keyboard, and handed me a boarding pass in F.

Oh well. This is the beginning of the end of my "only CO" loyalty. Hope these T-O-D ugs work well for co as I spread my $60k/yr spend around.

I think with the hike in Y/B/M fares we will hopefully see the end of the TOD phenomenon. 60K seems like an incredible amount of spend. The UA folks will have to way in, but if that made you GS over there, things might still be okay for you. I think that in the new UA, GS will be the only people who have a halfway decent experience.

channa Feb 27, 2011 5:52 am

Originally Posted by emcsweeney (Post 15939914)
Imagine that :p Where's channa when we need him?

Not sure what to say here.

Not getting an upgrade on CO is par for the course. I wouldn't even bother with trying to identify whether this was deliberate or a technical glitch. It is what it is.

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40 (Post 15940412)

This is why I caution people about the upgrade list. It gives a false sense of indication. Not because of the TOD upgrades, but because the list is the airport checkin list. It's very possible that there were other Elites with Y/B/M ahead of you or higher Elites, but they weren't on the upgrade list because they had not yet checked in.

Or it's possible that a higher Elite was on the upgrade list below you, but when EUA ran, they were higher than you (because the tiebreaker is different for the upgrade list vs. EUA).

The upgrade list doesn't even come into play until the GA runs the upgrades (about 30 minutes out), so it's really only good for a rough guide.

Originally Posted by gawhite411 (Post 15940498)
I think that in the new UA, GS will be the only people who have a halfway decent experience.

I disagree with this. With good buddy $misek in charge, it's debatable if even these folks will have a good experience.

reinballe Feb 27, 2011 8:45 am

OP now in F.... Right? Still oddly late EUA, given circumstances.

Originally Posted by channa (Post 15940524)
This is why I caution people about the upgrade list. It gives a false sense of indication. Not because of the TOD upgrades, but because the list is the airport checkin list. It's very possible that there were other Elites with Y/B/M ahead of you or higher Elites, but they weren't on the upgrade list because they had not yet checked in.

The website will show you the number of pax booked in F many days out + seatmap, which can be informative.

I think there is good news for OP.

The number just went up from 2/20 to 7/20... Pretty sure this was 5 EUAs because the seatmap went from 5/57 to 0/57 in the elite section.

Judging from the seatmap, this plane barely has enough pax to fill F, which makes the late EUA for Plat OP weird... Why talk of EUA 5 days out, ifit does not apply to this flight. This is a flight where all silvers are very likely to get upgraded.

Before you can see any reliable info on