Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor: SFO-TLV

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2011, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Rumor: SFO-TLV

Interesting rumor in this article:

Sources inform ''Globes'' that Continental Airlines, which is in the process of merging with United Airlines, is in the final stages of a feasibility study of a Tel Aviv-San Francisco route, which could be launched by the end of the year.
http://www.globes.co.il/serveen/glob...25287&fid=1725
Old Feb 21, 2011, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
SFO-TLV is about as far as EWR-PVG, so it's definitely within 777 range. However, with the strong and persistent rumor that one of the EWR-TLV flights will go to a 744, I doubt they'll add a new 777 flight to the market immediately. A 777 > 744 swap and a new 777 frequency would nearly double CO's capacity to TLV, and the market is currently more competitive that it has ever been. I'd expect CO/UA to do one or the other.

I think this would be a perfect 787 route, though.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K/COPlat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Platinum
Wouldnt LAX-TLV be a lot more feasible than SFO?
Old Feb 21, 2011, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA*S/Club, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by rggale
LY flies LAX-TLV, but not SFO-TLV, so COUA will not have any competition for now.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bulldog83
LY flies LAX-TLV, but not SFO-TLV, so COUA will not have any competition for now.
@:-) must be a very good reason why LY doesnt fly it or even tried it in the past

its just my Opin but Id be very surprised if COUA started a non-stop from the WC, as I doubt many people in DEN,ORD,IAH etc will be willing to fly to LAX or SFO and then onto TLV. On the other hand if they started the flight in a Hub other then SFO they can get those flying out of the WC to connect there

Last edited by craz; Feb 21, 2011 at 4:44 pm
Old Feb 21, 2011, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by EWR764
SFO-TLV is about as far as EWR-PVG, so it's definitely within 777 range. However, with the strong and persistent rumor that one of the EWR-TLV flights will go to a 744, I doubt they'll add a new 777 flight to the market immediately. A 777 > 744 swap and a new 777 frequency would nearly double CO's capacity to TLV, and the market is currently more competitive that it has ever been. I'd expect CO/UA to do one or the other.

I think this would be a perfect 787 route, though.
TLV still goes for over .10 per EQM and CO does a great job with Cargo, so unless theres a good demand for Cargo I dont see COUA opening up any new City to TLV, besides the NY area where CO already has 2 777s on a daily basis. By Cargo perishables is the name of the game as even CO has had a decline in the past few yrs of reg Cargo biz that is alot less expensive to send via Ship
Old Feb 21, 2011, 6:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by rggale
With all the high-tech in Israel right now, SFO makes a lot of sense.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K/COPlat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
With all the high-tech in Israel right now, SFO makes a lot of sense.
Good point. Sounds like a good 787 route. About 1200 miles too far to operate with a 767-200ER.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764
A problem with just the east coast flights is P.S. goes to New York instead of Newark. Not a great experience for through passengers.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
That would be an interesting route. Avoid the issues with EWR, and allow west-coast folks to fly non-stop.

Old Feb 21, 2011, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by craz
I doubt many people in DEN,ORD,IAH etc will be willing to fly to LAX or SFO and then onto TLV. On the other hand if they started the flight in a Hub other then SFO they can get those flying out of the WC to connect there
They wouldn't allow those COnnections anyway out of DEN/ORD/IAH. This would really be for West Coast folks, and I'm sure there's a ton of traffic going LAX-EWR-TLV at the moment that could be routed via SFO (LAX-SFO-TLV is shorter than LAX-EWR-TLV) to relieve EWR.

COmbined with the SFO-originating traffic, plus the high-tech appeal as has been noted, this one may make sense.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:43 pm

Programs: DL MM; UA MM/1K
Originally Posted by channa
They wouldn't allow those COnnections anyway out of DEN/ORD/IAH. This would really be for West Coast folks, and I'm sure there's a ton of traffic going LAX-EWR-TLV at the moment that could be routed via SFO (LAX-SFO-TLV is shorter than LAX-EWR-TLV) to relieve EWR.

COmbined with the SFO-originating traffic, plus the high-tech appeal as has been noted, this one may make sense.
There is some demand for direct flights to TLV in the bay area, but I don't think it justifies an expensive VLH flight. An ORD-TLV flight will reduce overall trip time significantly for CA->TLV, will serve both LAX and SFO (as well as DEN, PHX, IAH and other west and midwest destinations) and will be much cheaper to operate.
I think the rumor is spread by Israely business persons who can use such a flight rather than by anyone in CO.

DLP
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Looks like I got beat by a minute above

I see ORD-TLV happening before SFO-TLV.

ORD would allow for easy connections from the west coast, the midwest, and the south besides for ORD O/D traffic.
And it would allow EWR-TLV to focus primarily on O/D traffic and east-coast connections.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by channa

isnt there a IAH-EWR-PEK routing with the same flight # , so if that can be done anything can or is it HKG?

But my point was I didnt see enough biz to justify = fill a plane SFO-TLV non-stop. Even LY doesnt run LAX-TLV everyday that they could , I think its 3x a week and 2x some times of the yr. Yea UACO can draw some LA folks to fly it say LAX-SFO-TLV since they will draw more leisure flyers out of LA and more Biz people out of the Bay area, but I just dont see it as taking off and lasting. But then what do I know.

If anything how about a JFK-TLV since the ps flights from both LAX and SFO will offer a nice flying experience over any flight into EWR and they can pick up some of that JFK traffic from those that wont fly into EWR due to heading to Long Island or CT.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 1:11 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
I'd love to see a SFO-TVL nonstop. Sadly, it is hard for me to believe that a TLV can support us WC *A customers over CDG, AMS, TXL, MAD or MXP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.