Economy Plus is here to stay

Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Funny how the members how said there was no way that E+ would be retained have gone silent! Let me rub it in......you missed it big time.
I, for one, am willing to eat my crow and admit that I was totally wrong.

I do feel that the decision was not an easy one and that there may have been a serious power struggle inside UACO over which way they would go based upon how long it took them to make the announcement. I had already made a decision to stay with UA this year and just last night finished booking the trip that will put me over the top to make 1K again for 2012.

I am exceptionally happy today and proud to be a loyal UACO customer!

Last edited by zombietooth; Feb 17, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Programs: UA Premier iK, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
The bad news I suspect is that the needed space will probably be a result of ripping out a row of F since CO has much more F seats on their narrowbody aircraft than UA does.
Do a little home engineering looking at seat maps. On the narrowbody aircraft, removing an F row provides more space than is needed. Removing 1 row in Y provides 31 inches which provides 6 to 8 rows of E+ depending on exit row configuration, etc. That matches 319/320's 6 or 7 rows of E+.

On aircraft with flatbed seats suck as the 757 and 777, it is very unlikely they will be touched. I would expect changes will be limited to Y.

On the CO 764 the position of the exit, galley and lav dictate that the changes be only in Y.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tanlines
While that would be preferable, I just don't see it happening... especially on the -700, -800 and -900 aircraft. Logic says 4 F seats will disappear from each of those planes to make room for E+.
However, IF the more expensive B fares (and M too) are here to stay, once they resolve the fare mapping issues, and IF TODs are truly done...F upgrade rates may just stabilize even with losing a row of F on the bigger a/c.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by kb1992
There is no change for UA flyers, channa. We always get E+ since 1999.

This further verifies the sorry state of this merger. People pray that SMI/J doesn't destroy what we have now.

Maybe you didn't notice, but 18 months ago, UA's share price was $3.50.
Last week it north of $27.

There are many in the business world who would say the management team is at least doing SOMETHING right in the past year.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC

There are many in the business world who would say the management team is at least doing SOMETHING right in the past year.
The better analysis is that at the time of the merger announcement, the price was $20. And of course, the airline index and broader stock market have all risen since then.

but let's just celebrate our little victory here as long as possible...
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tnmlyger
This is honestly excellent news. E+ brought me to United many years ago and E+ will keep me there.
^ agreed ... and it's why I remained loyal after moving from Washington to New York (even after the JFK scale down)
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by cova

What would you do if auto upgrades to F go away and only upgradeable for set or variable fees or only apply to high level fare codes? Would you switch to DL or AA (if you earn AA Exec Plat)?
Yes! They listened to the masses on the E+ question and my guess (no guarantees) is they will listen again. We need to make our voices loud and clear.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador

When I used the term "sorry state of the merger", I was referring to UA flyers.

It has been very nice changes for CO flyers (other than B fare is way up), SWU, CR1, now E+.

But what do we get? Practically nothing.

We pray no "change", not even expecting any new goodies. Very sad, indeed.

Lack of competition only results in higher fares and benefit cuts.

Airline executives will get more bonus and share holders will be happy too. But consumers lose.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:40 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Yes! They listened to the masses on the E+ question and my guess (no guarantees) is they will listen again. We need to make our voices loud and clear.
$misek won't, he wants money and F upgrades don't gain money.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:41 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry
Thank you! ^
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by cova
We really need to see the rest of this announcement before we make conclusions:

1. Reduction of F would be bad. Still TBD

2. EUA/UDU to E+ for low level elites would be bad for them. Who can reserve E+ or ELR in advance is TBD.

What if:

1. UA/CO reduces F cabins

2. Top tiers PPlat/Plat/Gold/GS/1K/1P get E+ at time of ticket. But have to pay for upgrade to F. With the buy up program we sort of see this now.

3. Silver/2P only get EUA/UDU into E+ if there are E+ seats available.

While the good news has been announced, the TBDs could be the bad news.

I think UA/CO is trying to differentiate from LLC with E+. But E+ becomes the elite seating option and F becomes a buy up or requires a high fare code (B or M) to get F. These buyups or high fare only to F helps pay for the loss of 1 row of Y to create E+.

What would you do if auto upgrades to F go away and only upgradeable for set or variable fees or only apply to high level fare codes? Would you switch to DL or AA (if you earn AA Exec Plat)?
my concerns exactly.

Everyone's making SUCH a big deal about E+, but what if it comes at the ultimate expense of fewer/costlier/no free upgrades to F?

E+ may not be so "glorious" if complimentary EUAs get replaced by ToD's and instrument-based (i.e. "earned") upgrades.

As they always say, "Be careful what you wish for..."

Personally, I don't think we should be dancing in the streets and tossing the Mardi Gras beads off the balcony just yet.....
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:45 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
$misek won't, he wants money and F upgrades don't gain money.
But wait, I thought that F upgrades earned tens of dollars!

Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Huge ^^ for this - I have recently flown US and AA several times and only then realized how great E+ really is. Thanks UA!

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
But wait, I thought that F upgrades earned tens of dollars!

A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Great news. Thanks for letting us know!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.