CO prices WAY above competitors?

Old Feb 16, 11, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat, UA 1P, AA Plat (status matched)
CO prices WAY above competitors?

CO appears to be pricing their fares significantly above their competitors.

NYC to MIA 2/28-3/1.
CO: $524++
DL: $218++

NYC to DEN 3/10-3/11
CO: $1,326++
FO: $304++
UA: $304++

NYC to IAH 3/15-3/17
CO: $1,005++
DL: $296++ (1 connection)

Is this a part of the new fare alignment? How many people are booking CO even when CO's fares are 2X or 3X their competitor's fares?
Old Feb 16, 11, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA, WN
I have noticed similar for various routes out of PHX. You can book flights on UA metal through CO.COM (not all of which are codeshares) for cheap, but the flights on CO metal are often double what just about everyone else (UA, DL, WN, US, AA, etc.) has posted.

CO.com was even selling seats PHX-LAX-SAT on Skywest for much cheaper than flights through IAH.

I almost got the impression CO was "ceding" the PHX market to UA, as most all connections now seem to push flights through DEN or ORD as opposed to IAH, but then I discovered something interesting: if you go to the UA site, the flights on CO metal through IAH are the cheapest.

CO.com appears to be steering people to UA metal and UA.com appears to be steering people to CO. Perhaps a ploy to get UA customers used to CO and CO customers used to UA??

Last edited by flg8rmatt; Feb 16, 11 at 4:01 pm
Old Feb 16, 11, 4:56 pm

Programs: Lifetime United Club stolen by Oscar “The Grouch” Munoz on 11.1.19
Flying LAS-SFO I just bought tickets on VX because it was $75 OW and CO/UA were $250 OW.
Old Feb 16, 11, 5:22 pm

Programs: OnePass, PriorityClub
Love hurts! My pocketbook is hurting a lot every time I fly United/Continental these days. Both United and Continental have increased fares.
Old Feb 16, 11, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
You're booking a trip less than 3 days in duration - I've documented in other threads CO makes it virtually impossable to do so affordably (or even reasonably), as it does with one way fares (unless you're flying to FL).

Plug in any EWR-XXX city r/t (under 3 days in duration) for example, 11 months out, and you'll see a fare that's 3x-4x the rate going for a 4+ day trip.

I'm not going to pay $1,000+ to fly a Barbie Jet EWR-MSP/ATL on my business trips.
Old Feb 16, 11, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA nothing (former multi-year CO Platinum), AA 1M Gold, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
You're booking a trip less than 3 days in duration - I've documented in other threads CO makes it virtually impossable to do so affordably (or even reasonably), as it does with one way fares (unless you're flying to FL).

Plug in any EWR-XXX city r/t (under 3 days in duration) for example, 11 months out, and you'll see a fare that's 3x-4x the rate going for a 4+ day trip.

I'm not going to pay $1,000+ to fly a Barbie Jet EWR-MSP/ATL on my business trips.
Not the complete story... You can use the dates flexible search over a month for a 2 day trip and see that it is the short business trips being targeted. For many (most?) EWR-XXX cases, a 2 day trip departing on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday is cheap. Depending on the city the same 2 day trip departing Sun thru Wed is 2x to 6x or more of the price.
Old Feb 16, 11, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Flyer737 View Post
Not the complete story... You can use the dates flexible search over a month for a 2 day trip and see that it is the short business trips being targeted. For many (most?) EWR-XXX cases, a 2 day trip departing on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday is cheap. Depending on the city the same 2 day trip departing Sun thru Wed is 2x to 6x or more of the price.
Departing on a Thursday causes the same issue actually. So yes, to complete the story, 2 days a week you can leave on a short trip and not get gouged.

That one way trip doesn't get any cheaper on a Fri/Sat though.
Old Feb 16, 11, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Yes, they do charge more.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13990138-post32.html

(Full thread and prior discussion can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...las-fares.html)
Old Feb 16, 11, 7:40 pm

CO pricing way above itself

Posted in another thread yesterday: TPA-IAH-TUS and return, same flights, Thu departure, Mon return, with the TPA-IAH and return segments on CO metal and the IAH-TUS and return on United metal:
$337.80 if booked on United
$767.30 if booked on CO
I booked on United, got both UA and CO conf #s, couldn't assign seats on UA, went to CO.com pulled up the reservation and assigned my E+ (UA segments) and exit row (CO segments) seats. More than twice the price to book the same flights on Continental than on United and half the segments are Continental flights! Go figure.
Old Feb 16, 11, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
We've been through this. What you say above is just half the story.

EWR-MIA Mar 9-11: $383
EWR-MIA Mar 9-15: $383

I can find hundreds more examples like this

What you describe is valid on routes where CO/UA dominate the market - and if they are consistently able to charge these fares (and haven't had to back down) then I see this as a positive thing
Old Feb 16, 11, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by star_world View Post
We've been through this. What you say above is just half the story.

EWR-MIA Mar 9-11: $383
EWR-MIA Mar 9-15: $383

I can find hundreds more examples like this

What you describe is valid on routes where CO/UA dominate the market - and if they are consistently able to charge these fares (and haven't had to back down) then I see this as a positive thing
Good luck finding some outside of FL, I challenge you to find even 5 - I checked another 10 major metro areas, all had the same issue. Didn't realize UA/CO dominated MCI, PDX, ATL, PHX, MSP, CLT, MEM, LAX, DTW, CVG, etc.

EDIT - I found one. MKE. Will have to keep that in mind.

Last edited by UA-NYC; Feb 16, 11 at 8:18 pm
Old Feb 16, 11, 8:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Didn't realize UA/CO dominated MCI, PDX, ATL, PHX, MSP, CLT, MEM, LAX, DTW, CVG, etc.
For nonstops out of EWR? You're kidding, right? Of course they do.

To repeat my point above - this obviously is working for them. It's certainly not a particularly new development. Isn't that a good thing as a stakeholder (frequent flyer) in the business?

Edited to add: SEA, LAS were the next two I checked - also <$400 for 2 day trip.
Old Feb 16, 11, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by star_world View Post
For nonstops out of EWR? You're kidding, right? Of course they do.

To repeat my point above - this obviously is working for them. It's certainly not a particularly new development. Isn't that a good thing as a stakeholder (frequent flyer) in the business?
I forgot - EWR isn't a part of the greater NYC aviation market. Silly me.

Not substainable when a lot of those are on an awful RJ experience, and many others a substandard Y one. I think even business travelers willing to pay a premium for a nonstop have their limits.

Curious to see what happens on routes like EWR-ORD-EWR, where fares are 2-3x what every other carrier charges from LGA. That can't work in the long run.
Old Feb 16, 11, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold 1 Presidence Circle
Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend View Post
Yes, they do charge more.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13990138-post32.html

(Full thread and prior discussion can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...las-fares.html)
This is ridiculous...

I do IAH-PHL everyweek (since Sept 2010 and till December 2011) but the price is getting to me.

CO: IAH-PHL: 2/27 TO 3/4 - $609+
US: IAH-PHL: 2/27 TO 3/4 - $288+

They are both non-stop around the same time. Hmmm, no brainer here. Tax payers' money...

I have been royal to CO but now with huge fare discrepancy, I think I need to move on.
Old Feb 17, 11, 7:53 am

Programs: UA 1k MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by flg8rmatt View Post
CO.com appears to be steering people to UA metal and UA.com appears to be steering people to CO. Perhaps a ploy to get UA customers used to CO and CO customers used to UA??
I just did a IAD-BOS on UA metal. Bought on CO.com for $190, advertised on UA.com for $470.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: