Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Miles transfer or Maximizer?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Miles transfer or Maximizer?

My wife and I are looking to use miles for a trip from EWR to ORD in October. We had just used a bunch from my acct so we were looking to scrape miles from a few sources (her acct, her Amex points, my acct) to make the purchase. I would have needed to transfer 6k miles ($90 fee) to have enough for this trip.

I just noticed for a trip we are taking in May, that we can purchase miles via the Onepass Maximizer. I'm seeing 6,188 miles for $168. So, for a net $78 more we can purchase the needed miles instead of transferring.

What would you do?
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Pres? Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton, Avis, Hertz
Personally, I am totally against paying to transfer miles, or at least that much. You already own them, you are just transferring them to another account. Still High, but I might consider it for .01 a mile, if it was a very small amount needed.

Then again.
What Airlines value miles at for purchase and redemption is nuts. Imagine if this was currency...
I'll let you purchase 25 continental bucks for $875
Then you can redeem 25 continental bucks for a $195 travel voucher.

Then again, I don't know your balances in each acct.

My wife has 90k miles and I have like 240K. Rather than transfer any miles, I would rather get her to the next milesstone. Like 100, 105 or 125k

You pay more for purchase, but at least they were miles you didn't have before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.