Weekend Web Fares

Old Feb 13, 11, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Weekend Web Fares

I just checked the Continental website looking for a cheap fare to get away for next weekend (President's Day weekend). Continental.com Special's page says "There are no continental.com Specials this week."

Is that unusual that Continental wouldn't offer any weekend webfares for a holiday weekend?

Thanks.

Newman
Old Feb 13, 11, 6:05 pm

No, not really. It's a big travel weekend, so there isn't much need for it.
Old Feb 13, 11, 6:10 pm
RETIRED ACCOUNT

Programs: *A
Not unusual, however, they did offer several options over the last long holiday weekend. Hit or miss.
Old Feb 13, 11, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Weekend specials aren't posted until Monday evening, so there is still a chance you'll see a few options.

The message you are seeing is standard when the previous weeks offers have expired and they haven't started selecting the new week's specials.
Old Feb 13, 11, 6:18 pm

Haven't President's Day weekend specials been posted for several weeks? In fact I don't see them any more in the Special Offers section. Chances are many of the dirt cheap tixs have been bought up. It appears they have moved onto Spring Break and St. Patty's day deals
Old Feb 13, 11, 6:20 pm
RETIRED ACCOUNT

Originally Posted by nova08 View Post
Haven't President's Day weekend specials been posted for several weeks? In fact I don't see them any more in the Special Offers section. Chances are many of the dirt cheap tixs have been bought up. It appears they have moved onto Spring Break and St. Patty's day deals
OP is asking about weekend specials, not holiday fares.
Old Feb 14, 11, 10:18 am
RETIRED ACCOUNT

Page now says:

"We are currently selecting this week's Specials."
Old Feb 14, 11, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Really looking forward to visiting JAN and TYS this weekend
Old Feb 14, 11, 11:19 am
Suspended

It is not unusual for CO to pass on CO.O.L specials before holiday weekends.

Having said that, the "specials" usually aren't that special.

In the old days, these specials were used to get rid of "distressed" inventory at reduced prices. I have no idea whatsoever of the point these days. For all airlines, these "deals" aren't exactly deals any longer.

I would love for someone to explain the point of these last minute specials. They are no longer a win-win like they used to be.
Old Feb 14, 11, 11:25 am

These deals are posted sometime between late tonight and tomorrow around noon. There will be some, but don't expect any super desirable combinations.
Old Feb 14, 11, 12:26 pm

I have seen some reasonably good deals lately, it all depends what you are up to. Flights NYC to YUL are often above $500 (which drives me mad for a one hour flight with zero onboard service whatsoever but there is little serious competition to AC and high taxes on this route) and you can sometimes find specials for $200-300 return all in. Still not a huge bargain, I'll concede this.
Old Feb 14, 11, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend View Post
It is not unusual for CO to pass on CO.O.L specials before holiday weekends.

Having said that, the "specials" usually aren't that special.

In the old days, these specials were used to get rid of "distressed" inventory at reduced prices. I have no idea whatsoever of the point these days. For all airlines, these "deals" aren't exactly deals any longer.

I would love for someone to explain the point of these last minute specials. They are no longer a win-win like they used to be.
But what about all those lovely COEX flights to "exotic destinations" like Aguascalientes, Merida, Tampico, Tuxtla, and San Luis Potosi ex-IAH on the jungle jets?!?
Old Feb 15, 11, 6:38 am

Well, now they're up, so excuse me while I go jump at the chance to fly CLE-CMH (a two hour drive).

In all seriousness, the thing I kind of like about these deals is they're relatively consistent. Cities like Richmond or Philly seem to show up from Cleveland at least every other week, so I could plan for it if I needed to fly one of those places.
Old Feb 15, 11, 8:56 am

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
As a big user of the CO.O.L. specials, I will admit that they are a bit tricky. They DO post online without announcement around 5-6 p.m. CST each Monday, but are not announced until sometime on Tuesday. if there are good routes (like CUN, PTV, POS, BZE, etc....usually beach destinations), this will give you a jump on the general public in snagging a seat. However, CO.O.L. does sometimes add/subtract cities from the list before announcing, so this incomplete list will jump around a bit.

I have gotten a flight to a beach destination in the first 2 weeks of December for the past 4 years with no issues...awesomeness!
Old Feb 15, 11, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by tanlines View Post
But what about all those lovely COEX flights to "exotic destinations" like Aguascalientes, Merida, Tampico, Tuxtla, and San Luis Potosi ex-IAH on the jungle jets?!?
That's hardly fair.

Merida for one is a beautiful city with plenty of Bohemia cerveza to keep one from being bored.

Search this Thread