Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help understanding fare jumps

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2011, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Help understanding fare jumps

Looked at SFO-EWR-AUA-EWR-SFO yesterday. Coach was somewhere around $800, 1st was $1050. Check today, same fare basis / buckets, but everything is significantly more expensive.

What can cause this if not sell out at the cheaper fare buckets - has to be just a random and significant price increase to each given fare bucket, right?

Very frustrating. I flew 150k last year on this airline and still can't figure out their pricing formula - no reason for any algorithm to bump this price right now.

Any thoughts as to what could have happened?
Old Feb 12, 2011, 1:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
weekends

weekends tend to be higher because that's when everyone shops......
Old Feb 12, 2011, 1:42 pm

It's just the basics of how the airlines price fares. As stated more people search for flights on the weekends so fares can be several hundred higher than if you look on Monday.

If you watch a specific fare throughout the week it is very interesting to see where it goes. I'm looking at MSP-IAH-NRT-SIN-NRT-EWR-MSP with MSP-IAH-NRT and NRT-EWR-MSP on CO, that specific routing is around $1500 on Monday but by Friday it's 2000+ if it's even available.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Generally speaking the fare jumps through the week and on weekends described above happen because lower buckets are zero'd out, not because the fares in those buckets are raised and then lowered again on Tuesday. I'd be quite surprised to see a K fare that is one price on Monday, another price on Thursday and a third price on Saturday.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
Generally speaking the fare jumps through the week and on weekends described above happen because lower buckets are zero'd out, not because the fares in those buckets are raised and then lowered again on Tuesday. I'd be quite surprised to see a K fare that is one price on Monday, another price on Thursday and a third price on Saturday.
I do see some smaller increases in fare from a Monday to a Tuesday. The Tuesday K fare may be 40 more than Monday, however as you mentioned the big difference between the fare on Monday and Saturday is because they offered a K fare on Monday and Saturday it was an H.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 3:15 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by sbm12
I thought the OP said same fare bucket/basis, but different prices. Which one of you are right?

LAX
Old Feb 13, 2011, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LAX
I thought the OP said same fare bucket/basis, but different prices.
They did. I'm curious what the route/fare basis was. Yes, the airlines raise fares from time to time and not all the fare hikes stick, but it isn't a common weekly thing.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What was the exact fare basis code (not just "K" -- "KEF12N"), what were the dates of travel, and what were the dates you searched? I think I can look up historical fares and see if they actually changed the price of a particular fare basis code.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.