Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Renewing Passport by mail form DS-82 proccesing time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2011, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Location: The high ground in Swamp 205 miles east of the Dungeon (IAH B-84)
Programs: CO Plat / Hilton Gold / RCL Diamond Plus

Does it really take the six weeks to renew a soon to expire Passport by mail using form DS-82 for routine service. Seems like a long time for a routine renewal and the expedite service is an extra $60 each plus $15 each for overnight mail. and then it still says it takes 2-3 weeks even with the extra $75 to expedite.
Anyone have any experience renewing lately? How long does it really take?
I can send it in in between scheduled trips but I'm worried that some unexpected may come up during this elongated process, but its hard to spend the extra$ on a would of could of should of.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 7:27 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Does CO now process passport renewal for elites? Sorry, just couldn't resist.

LAX
Old Feb 11, 2011, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Location: The high ground in Swamp 205 miles east of the Dungeon (IAH B-84)
Programs: CO Plat / Hilton Gold / RCL Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by LAX
Does CO now process passport renewal for elites? Sorry, just couldn't resist.

LAX
no but I figured most CO elites have done this more often that the average and someone who has experience with a recent renewal may post an answer
Old Feb 11, 2011, 8:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Drive from Lafayette to New Orleans. The New Orleans passport office is one of the few that can process a passport same-day in person.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Lafayetteflyer
Does it really take the six weeks to renew a soon to expire Passport by mail...
Is there anything related to OnePass at all?

Beside, why don't you use DS-11?
Old Feb 11, 2011, 8:54 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by Lafayetteflyer
no but I figured most CO elites have done this more often that the average and someone who has experience with a recent renewal may post an answer
Didn't mean to offend you! I thought our FT mods would be so quick in moving threads to appropriate forums that I had to make the tongue-in-cheek comment before the move. Nothing personal, I promise.

LAX
Old Feb 11, 2011, 10:02 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by controller1
Drive from Lafayette to New Orleans. The New Orleans passport office is one of the few that can process a passport same-day in person.
Also Houston

I've used the Houston Passport Agency several times (and Miami's FWIW) for same day turns. You need an appt (best to try for early appt) but it is straightforward. NOLA is 75-80 miles closer to Lafayette IIRC, but if you have an IAH trip coming up it is very doable.

reports in other threads recently had mail turnaround times at 2-3 weeks or less.

Also, A little known practice but...There is a process in place where you can have your congressman query the folks at State to speed up the process. Many have links for it on their webpages.

It really comes down to how much time you have between trips. You can actually get a second tourist passport which is common for those with passports off getting long-turn visas but needing to travel, and for Israel stamps if you also go to certain countries not recognising such things. There are links for it at State.gov

Ciao,
FH
Old Feb 11, 2011, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
My sister filed her DS-82 in January. Return time was approximately 3.5 weeks. At the same time, I filed DS-82 for my passport card. Return time was 2 weeks.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA G, US G
Relevance questions aside, don't bother with expedited. The regular, by-mail service works quite quickly. Had my own and infant son's processed and mailed to me in under three weeks last year.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 11:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by atk5015
My sister filed her DS-82 in January. Return time was approximately 3.5 weeks. At the same time, I filed DS-82 for my passport card. Return time was 2 weeks.

Hope this helps.
In January, from the time mailed until returned was 20 calendar days , just under 3 weeks.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 11:36 am

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Plat AMB, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club; Caesars Diamond Plus
+1 on not bothering with the 'expedited' service.

I sent in my renewal form with the word "RENEWAL" written on the outside of the envelope. Got my passport in 10 days.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
As someone who travels internationally every few weeks at short notice, renewing in person has been my only surefire option. The passport office requires proof of international departure less than 14 days from applying. Continental has that nifty 24 hour cancellation policy, so I recommend using that to your advantage for one-day processing.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 12:42 pm

Programs: CO OnePass
I send mine in just before Christmas and got it back just after New Year's. I was shocked at the rapid turn time. The lady at the post office who helped me send in my renewal said 4-6 weeks due to this being a slow time of year.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 4:44 pm

Programs: Onepass Plat
I paid for expedited and got mine back in a week, though I was in New York, not Lafayette at the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.