Mileathon rental car question

Old Feb 9, 11, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Mileathon rental car question

I'm trying to go through continental.com for rental car prices from PDX. I know the downtown location has cheaper rates but it looks like my only option is the airport location. Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks.
Old Feb 9, 11, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, AS MVPG, Hyatt DIA, PC PLAT, Club Carl Gold, HH Gold, Accor Dia
You're going to be stuck renting from an airport location as thats all co.com can do. Had the same thought, but a no go. Can get weekend rentals for ~$16 at local joints but out of OAK or SFO add at least $10 departure fees so no real deal to churn cars for miles.

Would do it if I could avg $5-6/ point but w/ airport fees its at least $8-9/pt so no way to churn
Old Feb 9, 11, 4:22 pm

Programs: kayaker
Originally Posted by OLYflyer View Post
You're going to be stuck renting from an airport location as thats all co.com can do. Had the same thought, but a no go. Can get weekend rentals for ~$16 at local joints but out of OAK or SFO add at least $10 departure fees so no real deal to churn cars for miles.

Would do it if I could avg $5-6/ point but w/ airport fees its at least $8-9/pt so no way to churn
Hotels don't have to be near the airport, so you could potentially do that for points. Find a cheap-o rundown place and rent a room for ~$25 and you get your points for ~$6/point.
Old Feb 10, 11, 6:40 am

Usually a bad deal

In my experience, if you're renting for personal use, booking a car thru co.com yields bad rates. The miles earned on a bad rate car are a poor value for the added cost. I'd try checking rates on sidestep before commiting to a co.com "deal".
Old Feb 10, 11, 2:34 pm

Programs: CO Gold HHonors Gold SPG Gold
Anyone else have problems reserving a car at DFW? I was able to reserve at MCO and JAN with no issues, but I've tried reserving two separate dates in March at DFW and the reservation always fails after you hit the final "reserve" button with essentially no explanation-- something like the res cannot be completed at this time.
Old Feb 13, 11, 10:10 am

Programs: continental, TW Platinum
It won't let you reserve a car if you only specify 1993 Geo Prizm. Live a little--try a '95.
Old Feb 13, 11, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
i rented from Avis last week at LAX for the weekend. originally i was going to book through CO.com for mileathon points, but noticed that an advance purchase on Avis.com was almost $40 less. i didn't think the premium was worth the mileathon points so i completed the transaction with Avis.

Search this Thread