Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta Announces Its New E+ Product for International Flights

Old Feb 7, 11, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=1259

More legroom like UA, but also more recline (not like UA) and a physically different (maybe more comfortable) seat (same width, though).

Free for Diamonds/Plats, discounted for Golds/Silvers.

I think perhaps this will be the nail in the coffin for domestic E+ on UA and will result in a revamp of the E+ concept on the combined UA/CO international fleet to match the enhanced DL product.
Old Feb 7, 11, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold, UA LT 1K, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I hope the E+ (except ELR) goes away on the new United. Otherwise my concern would be that EUA puts you in E+ (not F) except GS/1K get E+ automatically.

DL is basically going back to three class of service. I assume they will sell E+ as a separate class as well. UA charges extra for non-elites.

Also UA/ CO will likely align their fleets:

319 & 73G 12F
320 & 738 16F for all of them
739 20F

No E+. Except E+ on 752, 762, 764, 777
Old Feb 7, 11, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Delta will charge $80-$160 each way to non-Elites, with a discount off those prices to Golds/Silvers. Diamond/Plat get them for free.

Service enhancements include free spirits (not just wine/beer) and complimentary HBO programming on the PTV.

The seats will have 50% more recline, which I think is fairly substantial.
Old Feb 7, 11, 2:06 pm

I will wait to see what the product actually is before declaring anything definitive. There may be the odd bit of hyperbole in airline announcements, mightn't there?
Old Feb 7, 11, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
I think perhaps this will be the nail in the coffin for domestic E+ on UA and will result in a revamp of the E+ concept on the combined UA/CO international fleet to match the enhanced DL product.
Not necessarily. Should SMI/J rip out the domestic section and put it back in when someone else puts it in? The research at DL must have found that there was value in the proposition. I would not be surprised that this latest competitive action causes UA to reaffirm E+ internationally with a further deferral on the domestic decision.
Old Feb 7, 11, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jbcarioca View Post
I will wait to see what the product actually is before declaring anything definitive. There may be the odd bit of hyperbole in airline announcements, mightn't there?
No, I don't think so at all. The PR I linked to is a clear statement on the product which is rolling out this summer.
Old Feb 7, 11, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
The seats will have 50% more recline, which I think is fairly substantial.
recline is like 5", so you get 7.5" yeah, a HUGE DIFFERENCe.
Old Feb 7, 11, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cova View Post
I hope the E+ (except ELR) goes away on the new United. Otherwise my concern would be that EUA puts you in E+ (not F) except GS/1K get E+ automatically.
I hope you're wrong, no offense. Given that many 2P/1Ps (and CO Silver/Gold equivalents) already don't have the best upgrade success, having guaranteed E+ is a nice fallback position. To now make that something that you have to either 1) upgrade into, or 2) pay for would likely cause a mass exodus, and would be simply asinine IMO.
Old Feb 7, 11, 2:38 pm

Programs: Too many
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=1259

I don’t think it will be the end of E+ domestically. United was the first to offer it domestically and I think they realize that if they eliminate it they will lose many loyal customers. If UA decides to match Delta and stoop down to their level then that will be a bad decision IMO. Currently this is where UA stands out and differentiates their product domestically, which I believe earns them some good revenue.

Delta also added quite a few F seats domestically where UA and CO have not. I think you will see UA with the same F config and E+ whereas Delta is adding E+ internationally and additional F seats domestically without any E+. Although it would be nice to have a third row of F on UA 319's . Just my opinion, who knows.

I did read in the February Hemisphere's magazine that Smisek said seating changes will be announced soon, along with his dreaded message that we will like the changes… Let's hope that this time we do all really like the changes.
Old Feb 7, 11, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think this insures that UA will keep E+.
Old Feb 7, 11, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by colpuck View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think this insures that UA will keep E+.
Agreed and hopefully they will revamp E+ to be Premium Economy like on Virgin Atlantic.
Old Feb 7, 11, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA:1K & MM
like our partners - wink,wink...

They compare this to the AF Premium Economy product but it is clearly not the same. The AF product is actually a shell seat so the seat in front of you does not recline into your space. I've flown it a couple of times and it is a good step up. (They also have a dedicated cabin on the 777 with two bathrooms. With the limited number of seats, this might be the best part of the deal.)

FWIW
DLM
Old Feb 7, 11, 5:07 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by entropy View Post
recline is like 5", so you get 7.5" yeah, a HUGE DIFFERENCe.
CO domestic F recline is 7", so 7.5" is decent... Every time, when I am flying in Y, I always feel like the seat reclines just short of the position that is necessary that you can sleep without your head rolling over. Another 2 inches surely will easily keep my head where it is while sleeping if I don't get a window seat, and I hate having to rely too much on the headrest...

Personally, I think UA/CO will look into revamping some Y seats to create a premium economy section, but reducing the # of E+ seats on international birds and limiting those seats to Plats or higher and for those who paid for it... However, the exit rows will still be available for lower tier elites and lower tier elites can move up into premium Y at OLCI if there are some seats left...

Basically not something like Virgin or AF, but offers additional features like:

Free spirits
More legroom
Extra recline
Priority boarding after elites
Dedicated F/A - just one
Dedicated Lavatory [all of CO's intl birds have a mid cabin lav which can easily be reserved for Y+ passengers except for the 777s]
Slightly better dining experience with real silverware and glass cups, but same food with snack basket services that consists of chips, candies, fresh fruits, etc.
More comfortable seats with more padding and the seat reclines like DL's current Y seats where the bottom moves forward. I think that is far more comfortable, because when you add in more recline your body naturally will slouch down the seat a little.

4-6 rows will easily do the trick...
Old Feb 7, 11, 5:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cova View Post
A number of people have anticipated, based on the absence of any announcement about the preservation of E+ after all this time, that what you fear is exactly what will happen. I think this development from DL makes it all the more likely.
Old Feb 7, 11, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
If you look at the planes UA has E+ on, and compare that to DL, DL will pretty much have in-flight WiFi. If UA takes away the E+, then I'll go for the WiFi. I can't both not sleep AND not work.

Search this Thread