Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Thanks CO; DirectTV preview runs out in F early in SuperBowl and no fix given

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thanks CO; DirectTV preview runs out in F early in SuperBowl and no fix given

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2011, 2:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
The FA obviously should have hit the Free button for the whole plane.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA-1K w/2MM & lifetime U-Club; Marriott-Lifetime Titanium; IHG-Diamond; National-Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by gawhite411
The FA obviously should have hit the Free button for the whole plane.
I think that button is on the flight deck and the captain has to make the decision. Not 100% sure but I remember reading something like that a while back.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 2:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Steve GadFly
I think that button is on the flight deck and the captain has to make the decision. Not 100% sure but I remember reading something like that a while back.
Well the FA should have brought it to his attention. No captain would want F passengers to be paying because of technical snafus. FA was obviously too lazy to call him up and ask.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Awtas
....They could make it free for everyone if no other options were available.
It's not really Continental's system to give away. It's owned and operated by DirecTV - they made the investment and shoulder the operating costs in exchange for a large slice of that $6. I'm not so sure CO crews can just hand out free TV willy-nilly.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 2:28 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I'm not so sure CO crews can just hand out free TV willy-nilly.
Or perhaps they can but DTV will know about it and charge CO for the privilege on a per use basis... that could be why it may be something left up to captain's discretion only.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 2:28 pm
Suspended

It's not really Continental's system to give away. It's owned and operated by DirecTV - they made the investment and shoulder the operating costs in exchange for a large slice of that $6. I'm not so sure CO crews can just hand out free TV willy-nilly.
If the button is there, they are allowed to us it. Otherwise the button would not exist and CO would have NO way to comp.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 2:29 pm

Programs: BMI Silver
Originally Posted by ohstewardess
That hasn't happened to me. I have been on flights where the DTV was not working (I was in FC) and the FA's still made the DTV announcement. I mentioned it 2 times to the lead FA who told me that it is out of her control. When I asked why she would make an announcement to Y to push them to purchase the service when she knows it isn't working, she replied, "Because that is what I am told to do."
This is what happened to me on my 3rd Dec flight. I used my card on 2 of the units as soon as we boarded. One for myself and one for my little girl. They kept making the announcement even after they knew the system was broken. I have been fighting to get my money back ever since. It know it is only $12 but it is the principle. I have heard that they have finally found the charges and will refund me in the next 7-10 days. This is after several emails back and forth.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by gawhite411
First write a letter to CO immediately. That is totally unacceptable service and the FA invovled should be fired. She won't be because of unions, but hopefully you can start a paper trail in her personnel file. Second, I think you should have made your own in flight entertainment, along with the other F passengers by using the call button every time she went to sit in the galley and read her People magazine. Third, you probably could have swiped your card and just disputed the charge on the credit card.
Whole lotta there, not the least of which is disputing the charge with the CC company.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
The technical difficulty is unfortunate.. but what's shocking is that the OP refused to pay $6 to watch the super bowl! I surely would have..and then dealt with it later.
Originally Posted by princessyoga
It know it is only $12 but it is the principle.
My thoughts exactly, though since I was alone it would've only been $6.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
This isn't willy nilly. It's otherwise not working as designed for a significant portion of customers. Not only that, these may arguably be some of the most frequent or most valuable customers on the plane.

And if there's a dispute about who pays, the right thing to do would be for CO to push the button, COmp it, and go back to DTV later and say your tech didn't fix it, and this is what we had to do, and ask for a credit for what CO has negotiated to pay them.

Whether it would be worth it for them to do that is up to CO, but to put the premium customers in the middle of it and tell them to deal with their abysmal customer care department? That's ridiculous.

Originally Posted by princessyoga
They kept making the announcement even after they knew the system was broken.
This is the second report in this thread of this type of "just do it because you're told" behavior. I always find it funny that some of the good CO staff who post here and are able to adapt, react, or otherwise think outside of the box in different situations have a hard time believing that some CO-workers simply do as they're told without any regard for COmmon sense.

It's a real shame that the customers are further inconvenienced with having to track down charges, and CO resources are also wasted having to deal with petty refunds as a result of this type of behavior.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 3:28 pm

Location: The high ground in Swamp 205 miles east of the Dungeon (IAH B-84)
Programs: CO Plat / Hilton Gold / RCL Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by hangpilot
Actually, I would write to thank CO, because you were spared from the embarrassment and irritation of having to watch the Queen of Unneccessary Melismatic Drivel screw up the anthem, and whatever that unbelievably badly mixed crap was it was that passed for the half time show.
That was the Black eyed peas shouting (horsely out of tune) a 13 minute medley of their one hit with hundreds of extras rejected from a Tron movie set jumping around like the battery packs were lighting them up instead of the leds sewn in their costumes.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by channa
Now there were two theories on why this is in the other thread if you find it -- one is that CO "dumbed down" the interface to restrict what the FA can do (this is my theory because it matches CO's tendencies to over-rely on automation and to tie the hands of its employees). The other theory was that CO's system is newer and more modern and as such has a more simple interface with just a few buttons -- ON, OFF, or FREE. The usual suspects came up with that one.
I assume I'm one of the usual suspects (), although I wholeheartedly agree that CO under Larry onward has completely and utterly obliterated any semblance of employee empowerment that was encouraged under Gordon. I think the company would sooner implement a fleet of automatons in place of their CSRs than promulgate more flexible, customer-friendly policies that rely on an employee's common sense.

With that said, how can you dismiss any accountability LiveTV has in the design of the system? They paid for it, after all.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by EWR764
With that said, how can you dismiss any accountability LiveTV has in the design of the system? They paid for it, after all.
I have a hard time believing that a newer system would have fewer options unless the user requested fewer options (or failed to request more options). F9's system lets the FA control from a control panel who gets it for free. CO has no such control panel.

If CO wanted a COntrol panel that allowed a FA to punch in a seat number to manually reset a seat, or comp a seat, they could have required it in the spec. Or if CO wanted to allow employees the ability to comp it on a seat-by-seat basis, a gift-card type solution that was proposed upthread could have been required in the spec.

Heck, CO even gave employees cards at the roll-out to use for free while they non-rev. It can be done with the existing infrastructure if they gave cards to the FAs. Either CO doesn't want to, or CO can't fathom the idea that they could screw up to the point of having to comp TV on an individual seat basis.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by channa
I have a hard time believing that a newer system would have fewer options unless the user requested fewer options (or failed to request more options). F9's system lets the FA control from a control panel who gets it for free. CO has no such control panel.

If CO wanted a COntrol panel that allowed a FA to punch in a seat number to manually reset a seat, or comp a seat, they could have required it in the spec. Or if CO wanted to allow employees the ability to comp it on a seat-by-seat basis, a gift-card type solution that was proposed upthread could have been required in the spec.

Heck, CO even gave employees cards at the roll-out to use for free while they non-rev. It can be done with the existing infrastructure if they gave cards to the FAs. Either CO doesn't want to, or CO can't fathom the idea that they could screw up to the point of having to comp TV on an individual seat basis.
Or it could have been a requirement from LiveTV. When they are collecting the majority of the revenue, they would rather that a FA couldn't give out free products easily. Contract specs can go both way.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
When they are collecting the majority of the revenue, they would rather that a FA couldn't give out free products easily.
Who said anything about free? Clearly the "FREE" button costs CO a pretty penny.

But you're absolutely right about the contract bit. CO COULD have contracted to get $3/seat "comps" that they could activate in individual screens. CO did have cards to give CO-workers free DTV for a while, so the technical capacity is certainly there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.