FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   BMI/Continental - LAX - LHR - Baggage Issue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/1180729-bmi-continental-lax-lhr-baggage-issue.html)

mike100 Feb 5, 2011 11:39 am

BMI/Continental - LAX - LHR - Baggage Issue

I'm just about to book a flight form LAX to LHR and found the cheapest flight was operated by Continental on behalf of BMI.

I called BMI to ask whether I would have to pay for checked baggage and was told to call Continental. When I called Continental I was told to call BMI.

Does anyone know if one checked suitcase is free or not with BMI through Continental?

I've looked everywhere and still don't know.

Thanks in advance.

colmc Feb 5, 2011 1:37 pm

It has nothing to do with bmi :)

You're flying on another airline's plane, so it's their luggage policy that counts.

Is it a direct flight, or connecting via Houston or Newark? Continental don't fly direct (but UA do - do you mean it's a United flight, not Continental?).

Either way your 1st bag on an international itinerary is generally free :)

EmailKid Feb 5, 2011 1:45 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk mike100 !

Not sure why you posted your query to Budget Travel since it's really a CO question, so I'm moving the thread to the CO forum.

Originally Posted by colmc (Post 15809317)
Is it a direct flight, or connecting via Houston or Newark? Continental don't fly direct (but UA do - do you mean it's a United flight, not Continental?).

Actually you are referring to a non stop flight, as a direct flight is one that has the same flight number and may require a stop. In some instances airlines have "direct" (i.e. same flight number) flights that require a plane change :rolleyes:

This is usually int'l flights, where the first flight is on a non widebody and continues to the int'l destination as a widebody.

EmailKid

mike100 Feb 5, 2011 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by colmc (Post 15809317)
It has nothing to do with bmi :)

You're flying on another airline's plane, so it's their luggage policy that counts.

With respect, I phoned both airlines and both reffered me back to the other. How would I know if it's a United flight if I don't know whether it's BMI or Continental? lol

The flight is advertised as BMI and I was then told Continental operate international flights for BMI, and you're now saying United are somehow involved as well.

I don't mean to sound like an a$$ and I'm really grateful for your input, I just find it extremely frustrating that I can't seem to book a flight without first having to join a forum to get my questions answered and also seem unable to find out 1) Who I'm flying with, and B) What baggage I can or cannot take.

mike100 Feb 5, 2011 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by emailkid (Post 15809360)
Welcome to Flyertalk mike100 !

Not sure why you posted your query to Budget Travel

Because I saw the thread further down the index entitled "Easy Jet Luggage."

Given that I thought I was booking with BMI, then thought it was Continental and am now told it could be United, it's not totally out of the question that by tommorow it will be Easy Jet....and the question was actually in the right place all along. :D

IAH-OIL-TRASH Feb 5, 2011 5:12 pm

Look at your ticket

Look at your itiniery. If your 1st flight is on a Continental plane, you will pay no baggage fee for the 1st bag. If it is a Continental codeshare flight number on another carrier's plane, you will be subject to wahatever their baggage policy is. If you are still confused, call Continental and give them the number of your 1st flight and they can tell you if it is a Continental plane or someone else's.

sbm12 Feb 5, 2011 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by mike100 (Post 15810283)
With respect, I phoned both airlines and both reffered me back to the other. How would I know if it's a United flight if I don't know whether it's BMI or Continental? lol

When you book a codeshare flight the company selling it to you is required to tell you who is operating the flight. The booking should say something like BD1234 (operated by Continental as CO5678).

You pay for bags based on the rules of the carrier to which you hand your bags. In this case it seems likely that is CO's rules. Reading the fancy (and somewhat poorly formatted) chart here you get one 50# bag free with CO when going to Europe.

EmailKid Feb 5, 2011 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by mike100 (Post 15810298)
Because I saw the thread further down the index entitled "Easy Jet Luggage."

OK, that explains it @:-)

The reason why that is in Budget Travel is that LCCs (Low Cost Carriers) are discussed in that forum.

We have lots of experts in the CO forum dealing with that airline, and sbm12 is one of the ones that already chimed in.

EmailKid

colmc Feb 5, 2011 6:13 pm

The flight is advertised as BMI and I was then told Continental operate international flights for BMI, and you're now saying United are somehow involved as well.
Continental and United are in the process of merging and they do fly LAX - LHR direct, that's why I ask ;)

snod08 Feb 5, 2011 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by colmc (Post 15810600)
Continental and United are in the process of merging and they do fly LAX - LHR direct, that's why I ask ;)

Yes, they are merging, but still operate as a separate airline.

If its a non-stop LAX-LHR, it will likely be operated by United.
If its a one-stop LAX-EWR-LHR or LAX-IAH-LHR, then it will be operated by Continental.

to the OP: Can you please post your flight numbers e.g., CO 1234 or BD1234,

Then we can clearly tell you who is operating the flight and how much luggage is allowed free of charge, etc.