Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades on Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2011, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k MM, KLM Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Platinum
Upgrades on Singapore

Does anyone have experience using OP miles to upgrade on Singapore Air? I've never tried and would like to know how hard it is... my experience with Lufthansa couldn't have been worse
Old Feb 3, 2011, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You cannot use *A upgrades on the new SQ product, just like you cannot redeem on it. If it is on the legacy C/F product and you are in the appropriate fare class then it should be no problem.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Jade_BR
Does anyone have experience using OP miles to upgrade on Singapore Air? I've never tried and would like to know how hard it is... my experience with Lufthansa couldn't have been worse
Just as difficult. One has to have booked a very high fare class, and utiilize the *A upgrade. Note also SQ excludes a lot of non-Kris flyers from certain upgrades.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 8:28 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sbm12
You cannot use *A upgrades on the new SQ product, just like you cannot redeem on it. If it is on the legacy C/F product and you are in the appropriate fare class then it should be no problem.
When you say you cannot redeem are you saying that it is extremely difficult or that you cannot use OnePass miles to redeem on SQ? Because if that is the case then I suppose I was misinformed by the OPSC; I suppose there is absolutely no flight to redeem on SQ in F or C out of North America unless you are flying on a 744 then. I am not saying you are wrong....I just don't know the answer on this...I would like to redeem on SQ in F or C from any North American gateway to Asia using OnePass miles so any information would be useful.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 8:33 am
Original Poster

This is confusing. SQ is listed on the CO website as participating in the *A upgrade program. I am buying a fare that is upgradeable. What is the new SQ product and how do I determine what I'm buying? The SQ agent on the phone told me the fare is upgradeable and that I'd need to call CO to use miles for the upgrade.

FYI the segments are JFK-FRA and FRA-SIN.

Thanks!
Old Feb 3, 2011, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Originally Posted by Jade_BR
This is confusing. SQ is listed on the CO website as participating in the *A upgrade program. I am buying a fare that is upgradeable. What is the new SQ product and how do I determine what I'm buying? The SQ agent on the phone told me the fare is upgradeable and that I'd need to call CO to use miles for the upgrade.

FYI the segments are JFK-FRA and FRA-SIN.

Thanks!
SQ newish product is F and C on 777-300ER and a few non ERs, also C on A380.
You cannot upgrade to R (A Class Abve First)
A345 is all C so no upgrade possible.

JFK-FRA-SIN on SQ25/26 is still 744 so an upgrade is possible from allowed fare classes. if you somehow booked SQ25 connecting to the later FRA-SIN flight your FRA-SIN would be on the 77W and therefore no upgrade would be possible.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 8:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
I would confirm that your fare is in either Y or B class - these are the only two fare classes that are eligible to upgrade to business.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Am I the only person who thinks that is crazy? Either they allow *A upgrades or they don't. How are people supposed to know/guess which aircraft is eligible? It's certainly not available on SQ's site.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 9:16 am

Programs: Continental OnePass Platinum
I have had success using OnePass miles to upgrade on SQ. See this thread for some more discussion:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti......-miles.html
Old Feb 3, 2011, 9:32 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
That answer's the upgrade question.....but what about using miles to redeem just for reward travel? Has anyone redeemed OnePass miles on segments with C/F if the aircraft is a 77W/380 at all?
Old Feb 3, 2011, 9:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
That answer's the upgrade question.....but what about using miles to redeem just for reward travel? Has anyone redeemed OnePass miles on segments with C/F if the aircraft is a 77W/380 at all?
Not possible on any *A airline. You can do it with SQ miles but you pay a premium (2x?)
Old Feb 3, 2011, 9:44 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
You can do this if you have SQ KrisFlyer miles or M&M miles (LH).

@cjermain
- I read your post in the thread you referenced. That regional business product (SIN-PVG) is apparently available for Star Alliance upgrade awards.....

but the OP here wants 77W or A380 seats in business class...and these are not available for star alliance upgrade or simple reward travel thro star partner miles.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 9:53 pm

IMHO if you want to fly business or first on Singapore, you'll need to buy a business or first class ticket, either with cash or miles if available
Old Feb 3, 2011, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by meFIRST
IMHO if you want to fly business or first on Singapore, you'll need to buy a business or first class ticket, either with cash or miles if available
If a ticket with miles is available, then a Star Alliance upgrade with miles will reportedly be available too. The problem is that the vast majority of SQ's long-haul J/F product is just completely off-limits for partner awards.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
If a ticket with miles is available, then a Star Alliance upgrade with miles will reportedly be available too. The problem is that the vast majority of SQ's long-haul J/F product is just completely off-limits for partner awards.
Sq doesn't believe in a frequent flyer program. If you want a seat in F and J pay for it.

Was PPS years back, I fully understand how SQ operates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.