Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2011, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Weather at IAH [3&4-Feb-2011]

Not looking good for tomorrow afternoon and Friday morning in Houston:

CO announcement tonight:

As of 10:14 p.m. Central, Wed., Feb. 2, 2011

DUE TO WINTRY CONDITIONS IN THE SOUTH - CONTINENTAL AIRLINES WILL SUSPEND MOST OF ITS OPERATIONS TO/FROM HOUSTON INTERCONTINENTAL TOMORROW FEBRUARY 3RD STARTING AT 1500CST UNTIL FEBRUARY 4TH AT 1200CST.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA MM, Marriott LT Plat
Hah! Glad I'm out in the morning (I hope)! Where did you get the announcement - heard it on the tv news but didn't see on the CO website. One of my colleagues is planning on a departure tomorrow evening... I sent him a note to reconsider his plans based on the tv news item but didn't have anything "hard" to point him to on the web.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:05 pm

Programs: Mariott Plat, *wood Plat, Hyatt Diamond, United 1K
How certain is CO of this?
It there any hope that the weather isn't that bad and they change this? Or is this announcement basically it?
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
It's on the website in the Operations Summary section of the Today's Operations page:

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...perations.aspx
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:11 pm

Programs: Mariott Plat, *wood Plat, Hyatt Diamond, United 1K
I'm trying to decide how SOL I am and whether I should risk trying to change to a Friday morning flight if/when my Thursday evening gets canceled? Will CO change their minds?
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA MM, Marriott LT Plat
Thanks, GeneDoc!
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:25 pm

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU

Going on vacation tomorrow on the 5:30 to Denver

The operations page said that they cancelled most of the flights that aren't going to go out. The tail number has switched to a different 763 coming from Orlando, so maybe they are going to try to get our plane out considering all but 5 seats are sold (and those people took the weather waiver I'm sure).
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:41 pm

Just checked all of the afternoon flights to Denver and it looks they are going to try mine.

8:54 PM departure cancelled
7:00 PM cancelled
5:35 PM On Sched
3:46 PM On Sched
2:26 PM Cancelled
1:04 PM Cancelled
11:50 AM On Sched

"So you're saying there's a chance..." haha

Also, I used miles to upgrade to first on this flight because it was so full and I'm going on vacation so why the hell not. Currently 41 people on the upgrade standby list after first is full. Snap.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
This is my 4th cancellation this week, today was rebooked to friday, and now, rebooked to sunday but have to contact them.

first call was 5 min long and perfection.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by wcalvert
Just checked all of the afternoon flights to Denver and it looks they are going to try mine.

8:54 PM departure cancelled
7:00 PM cancelled
5:35 PM On Sched
3:46 PM On Sched
2:26 PM Cancelled
1:04 PM Cancelled
11:50 AM On Sched

"So you're saying there's a chance..." haha

Also, I used miles to upgrade to first on this flight because it was so full and I'm going on vacation so why the hell not. Currently 41 people on the upgrade standby list after first is full. Snap.
Local Houston TV stations are now reporting that "Continental has announced they will suspend operations from 3:00 PM Thursday until 12:00 Noon Friday at their Intercontinental (IAH) hub."

Great- should be an absolute circus trying to get out of town before everything shuts down. ARGH!
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by tanlines
Local Houston TV stations are now reporting that "Continental has announced they will suspend operations from 3:00 PM Thursday until 12:00 Noon Friday at their Intercontinental (IAH) hub."

Great- should be an absolute circus trying to get out of town before everything shuts down. ARGH!
Quote from directly above says that they will be suspending most operations and not "suspending operations".

Looks like they've already cancelled a bunch of flights, so who knows.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA MP 2P, SPG
I was scheduled to fly from AUS-OAK on CO from AUS>IAH>DEN>OAK on the 4th. I've been on the phone with CO for almost an hour now and still nobody on the phone. I'm a UA 2P. Any ideas on what to do? Maybe they can route me from AUS>DEN directly? I still want my routing miles though, haha...
Old Feb 2, 2011, 11:55 pm

I'm supposed to fly SFO-IAH-EZE tomorrow, just got an email from CO saying flight 1669 was cancelled. I called the 800 number and got a recorded message telling me to check on the web. No useful information there, other than the fact that I could change my flight to an earlier flight (8:35 or 10:53 am instead of 2:40 pm) for free.

Not sure what to do. Taking an earlier flight with a significant chance of staying at Houston for 30 hours doesn't seem like a good idea. Any suggestions?
Old Feb 3, 2011, 12:45 am

Programs: CO One Pass Hipster, *G, Expedia Elite Plus, :rolleyes: Premier Exec.
Originally Posted by fsexman
I'm supposed to fly SFO-IAH-EZE tomorrow, just got an email from CO saying flight 1669 was cancelled. I called the 800 number and got a recorded message telling me to check on the web. No useful information there, other than the fact that I could change my flight to an earlier flight (8:35 or 10:53 am instead of 2:40 pm) for free.

Not sure what to do. Taking an earlier flight with a significant chance of staying at Houston for 30 hours doesn't seem like a good idea. Any suggestions?
Id try to reroute on UA via IAD. You may have to pull some teeth, but I think it is do-able. IAD-EZE departs around 10 pm daily.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 1:01 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Ouch... triple blow for CO- all of their hubs has been affected. What a mess, indeed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.