Wiki Posts
Search

EWR-Today 2-1

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2011, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
EWR-Today 2-1

Looks like most flights out of EWR are cancelled today. Weather is not that bad today, any reason why so many flights cancelled, affects alot of people.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Looks like most flights out of EWR are cancelled today. Weather is not that bad today, any reason why so many flights cancelled, affects alot of people.
Look at craz's post earlier today.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Offically EWR/JFK/LGA are CLOSED (= even if they wanted to have flights they cant) Noon 2/1 - Noon 2/2

ORD Closed 6pm 2/1 - Noon 2/3

that said as I posted elsewhere IMO CO paid dearly after the last storm, they had planes that were diverted and siting all over eg the 91 from TLV went to CLE where the crew timed out and thusly the flight didnt leave to EWR till 6:30pm. Im sure some passengers connecting onward from EWR were able to do so from CLE but most of the 91s passengers end is EWR. So CO had to supply Rooms and food all day long for a couple of hundred people , btw there was a 777 from India that went there as well

So it took awhile till CO was able to get everything planes , crews and passengers back where they should be

I think CO was smart in doing what it did thsi time this way they can be up and hopefully running as they should be once the storm passes

I saw US flew tonight PHL-TLV and to FRA didnt check other routes, yet LH CXed all its flights today to/from JFK/EWR/PHL B6 (Jet Blue) also Cxed all its flights today that went thru NY

Yea people were inconveninced but had they runned their flights many more would have been,IMO
Old Feb 1, 2011, 7:05 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by craz
Offically EWR/JFK/LGA are CLOSED (= even if they wanted to have flights they cant) Noon 2/1 - Noon 2/2
Ahh, I was wondering why everything from SFO-EWR was CX today!
Old Feb 1, 2011, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Ahh, I was wondering why everything from SFO-EWR was CX today!
Yep a heavenly day over by me = usuaully during this type of weather they reroute the flights right overhead. Today a pure Silence all day long, now only if therev werent 8' hills of snow (ice) all over the place

If I wanted to live like they do in Alaska I would have moved up there
Old Feb 1, 2011, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
There was zero precipitation in the NYC area from late morning until now. Maybe a continental over reaction?

Last edited by DL2SXM; Feb 1, 2011 at 8:52 pm
Old Feb 1, 2011, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
There was zero precipitation in the NYC area from late morning until now. Maybe a continental over reaction?
Old Feb 1, 2011, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by nypdLieu
The Airport Authority closed the airports so CO didn't get to overreact in this situation however the is very high...
Old Feb 2, 2011, 7:45 am

Programs: UA Global Services
It's not just conditions at the airport that matter. Think about the approach/departure routes for NYC metro. Planes heading to ewr begin their descent over Pennsylvania.

If there are ice storms... I would think it messes things up
Old Feb 2, 2011, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Is there really a need for another thread about this:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...l#post15779682
Old Feb 2, 2011, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA

ORD Closed 6pm 2/1 - Noon 2/3

that said as I posted elsewhere IMO CO paid dearly after the last storm, they had planes that were diverted and siting all over eg the 91 from TLV went to CLE where the crew timed out and thusly the flight didnt leave to EWR till 6:30pm. Im sure some passengers connecting onward from EWR were able to do so from CLE but most of the 91s passengers end is EWR. So CO had to supply Rooms and food all day long for a couple of hundred people , btw there was a 777 from India that went there as well

So it took awhile till CO was able to get everything planes , crews and passengers back where they should be

I think CO was smart in doing what it did thsi time this way they can be up and hopefully running as they should be once the storm passes

I saw US flew tonight PHL-TLV and to FRA didnt check other routes, yet LH CXed all its flights today to/from JFK/EWR/PHL B6 (Jet Blue) also Cxed all its flights today that went thru NY

Yea people were inconveninced but had they runned their flights many more would have been,IMO
I remember BA did a similar thing during the major snow storms there a couple of months back. They preemptively canceled tons of flights, so that once the storms ended, there were able to sort out stranded pax a lot easier than if they had had pax all across the world

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.