CO 35 diverted to Gander

Old Jan 29, 11, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

CO 35 diverted to Gander

anybody know why CO 35 from LHR to IAH was diverted to Gander and held there for 8 hours on Jan 29, 2011?
Old Jan 29, 11, 9:44 pm

Not sure; checked with CO and they just told me it was diverted and not why. 8 hours divertion must have been mechanical, the flight was also late out of Heathrow.

Plane is now apparently going to Newark and not Houston.
Old Jan 30, 11, 2:39 am

It's now en route from EWR. Scheduled to land at IAH a little before 4:00AM (Sunday).
Old Jan 30, 11, 9:02 am

Programs: UA-Perma Plat, Hyatt-Sucks, HHonors - Dia., Marriott - Gold
It was a medical diversion... then crew timed out.
Old Jan 30, 11, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

First my apologies for originally posting this inquiry in the wrong forum. I am a newbie, and I wasn't sure where it belonged. (The Continental forum is located under the "Miles & Points" category, and my question is about neither miles nor points.)

Now on to the more fundamental question. CO chose to hide all information about this flight diversion (first to Gander and then to EWR) from its customers. Both online and telephone reps had no accurate information, even 8+ hours after the fact. Emergencies happen and so do crew timeouts. But don't they realize that folks get worried when their planes fall off the grid? (No cell service in gander.) I suppose that CO actually had no idea what happened to their 777, but that is an even a worse answer for customers. A little information would have been very reassuring. Remember this even occurred the same day Egypt was in turmoil. "Losing" a heavy jet was not outside the realm

Again, my apologies for the posting error.
Old Jan 30, 11, 9:25 pm

The A/C that flew CO35 and got diverted was supposed to head to NRT after that. Looks like they flew in another 772 from EWR. Doesnít appear to have affected CO7.
Old Jan 30, 11, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by douglowe View Post
happened to their 777, but that is an even a worse answer for customers. A little information would have been very reassuring. Remember this even occurred the same day Egypt was in turmoil. "Losing" a heavy jet was not outside the realm.

How did major civilian protests against a dictatorial government in the ME/Africa have anything to do with a LHR-IAH flight? I think that's a stretch even in this post 9/11 world.
Old Jan 30, 11, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by IAHRyan View Post
The A/C that flew CO35 and got diverted was supposed to head to NRT after that. Looks like they flew in another 772 from EWR. Doesnít appear to have affected CO7.
I thought they keep an extra 772 in IAH to prevent MX issues from happening on the NRT flight. Anyone know if they decided to utilize it somewhere else and play hot potato with 772 plane issues?
Old Jan 30, 11, 10:29 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k
Not sure how the crew could time out from that diversion. If they just landed and dropped off the patient they should have been fine. They could have filed to NYC VS HOU if they were pushing duty time. LHR to Gander can't be more then 3-4 hours. They should have had plenty of time to continue on.
Old Jan 30, 11, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
Originally Posted by douglowe View Post
First my apologies for originally posting this inquiry in the wrong forum. I am a newbie, and I wasn't sure where it belonged. (The Continental forum is located under the "Miles & Points" category, and my question is about neither miles nor points.)

Now on to the more fundamental question. CO chose to hide all information about this flight diversion (first to Gander and then to EWR) from its customers. Both online and telephone reps had no accurate information, even 8+ hours after the fact. Emergencies happen and so do crew timeouts. But don't they realize that folks get worried when their planes fall off the grid? (No cell service in gander.) I suppose that CO actually had no idea what happened to their 777, but that is an even a worse answer for customers. A little information would have been very reassuring. Remember this even occurred the same day Egypt was in turmoil. "Losing" a heavy jet was not outside the realm

Funny you mention this. I was watching CNN coverage of the unrest in Egypt and I caught a protester with a sign that read "Mubarak Must Go & CO Flight 35 Must Divert To Gander" :-)

Last edited by BigPoppaCO; Jan 30, 11 at 10:38 pm
Old Jan 30, 11, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO View Post
Funny you mention this. I was watching CNN coverage of the unrest in Egypt and I caught a protester with a sign that read "Mubarak Must Go & CO Flight 35 Must Divert To Gander"
That's pretty funny, but let's stop giving the guy a hard time. Everyone here in the C forum thirst for diversion info and the stories behind the stories.
Old Jan 30, 11, 11:03 pm

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
How did major civilian protests against a dictatorial government in the ME/Africa have anything to do with a LHR-IAH flight? I think that's a stretch even in this post 9/11 world.
+1

Especially since CO doesn't fly to CAI yet.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: