Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Is 30 min enough for transit at IAH for CO flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is 30 min enough for transit at IAH for CO flights?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K MM Hilton Diamond
Smile Is 30 min enough for transit at IAH for CO flights?

OK new year resolution to start using FlyerTalk forums . I am trying to fly from LAX to SJO in Costa Rica via IAH - CO website provides an option with a 30 min transit which would be great if it is workable since I am not able to leave LAX earlier (arriving from MEL on that day). Any experience with this short transit time. It will be domestic and so no customs and immigration clearance on arrival. Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:21 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Seems nice, but not advised....

IAH is a rather big airport, so if you arrive at C32 and your SJO flight departs from E17 then your screwed... Also, all it takes is a slight delay on LAX-IAH to result in a misconnect...

I would recommend at least 45 minutes, preferably 1 hour, for IAH...

Maybe other Fters have a different opinion...
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:54 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Seems nice, but not advised....

IAH is a rather big airport, so if you arrive at C32 and your SJO flight departs from E17 then your screwed... Also, all it takes is a slight delay on LAX-IAH to result in a misconnect...

I would recommend at least 45 minutes, preferably 1 hour, for IAH...

Maybe other Fters have a different opinion...
Oh, no! I recently booked a domestic flight with connection time of 30 min at IAH! I knew it was kind of a gamble, but it was either a tight connection or potential weather delay/cancellation.

LAX
Old Jan 29, 2011, 6:12 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
30 minute connection may be doable at IAH, especially mainline to mainline connections as in your case. However, as golfingboy suggested, 45 minutes will give you a great chance to make the connection. Is there another IAH-SJO flight later (in case you miss your flight)?
Old Jan 29, 2011, 7:21 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
I've done many 30-35 minute connections in IAH and was always nervous. Yet, I never missed a single one. The flight times of inbound flights seem to be a little padded to allow for delays in those flights getting airborne.

If you arrive late, grab one of the electric carts immediately and have them take you to you next departure gate. That is what they are there for.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 7:45 am

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
I've done it in 21 minutes, but it ain't pretty.

My personal rule for booking thru IAH is one hour. That way, I know I've got some cushion for weather, traffic, mechanical, etc etc etc.

IAH isn't terribly big, compared to certain other hub airport terminals, but still....
Can it be done in 30? Yeah. But I don't advise it.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 8:18 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Also keep in mind, since your connecting flight is an international flight, airlines generally require you to be at the gate earlier for international flights than domestic flights...
Old Jan 29, 2011, 9:33 am

Programs: UA-Perma Plat, Hyatt-Sucks, HHonors - Dia., Marriott - Gold
Originally Posted by Vulcan
If you arrive late, grab one of the electric carts immediately and have them take you to you next departure gate. That is what they are there for.
Actually, no, that is not what they are there for. With a few accidents last year, the proper use of the carts is for people with mobility problems. They are not supposed to go faster than walking speed, though obviously, at times they do.

Both flights will be in the C/E complex and end to end would be 15 minutes max for able walkers. Unfortunately, if you are sitting at the back of your incoming flight, it can take ten minutes to get out and oriented to your next gate. 30 minutes is doable 80% of the time. Have even a few minute delay though and you reduce those odds.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I prefer two (2) hours for CO COnnections because of how poorly they've handled IRROPS with me in the past.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 10:43 am

Programs: MP 1K/Onepass Plat 1MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Terminal C to Terminal E is doable, if your flight is on time and you are in F.
I made the trip from C43 to E19 in about 5 minutes from door open last night.
But I was in 1E (first off the plane) and I really move through the terminal.

If you are in coach from the middle back, it could be very close.

If you are going to/from Terminal B, you may need more time.

Terminal B is a horror show as are the little planes that frequent it.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
As has been said, 45 min to 1 hour is the best, but I would book the 30 min connect time if those are the flights that you need. I have done many connections in IAH and as long as you leave LAX on-time there should not be a problem.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA-Silver; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Gold
Adding a question to this.

I am traveling to MBJ in June from EWR through IAH and meeting my mother in IAH. She is coming from DAY so she will be on an RJ with a 45 min connection. I have never been to IAH before and by the look of the airport map getting from the RJ gates to E will be pretty far. She has some mobility problems and would never even be able to walk that far .

If I arrange a pick up for her how will that work since there is a terminal change ? It doesn't look like a cart can go from B to E.

Probably will not make a difference but she is on a purchased Z fare.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA-Perma Plat, Hyatt-Sucks, HHonors - Dia., Marriott - Gold
Originally Posted by TMOTEE
Adding a question to this.

If I arrange a pick up for her how will that work since there is a terminal change ? It doesn't look like a cart can go from B to E.

A cart, or obese (typically) wheelchair pusher will take her to the elevated train in terminal B. It is about a 4 minute ride to E/D where she will be met by another cart to get her to her gate. It is easy and fast. You are right, the fare makes no difference.

Tip for connecting from an ERJ... pack small squishy carry-on. If you have a tight connection, you don't want to be hanging around for gate checked bags.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA-Silver; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by GeoMedic
A cart, or obese (typically) wheelchair pusher will take her to the elevated train in terminal B. It is about a 4 minute ride to E/D where she will be met by another cart to get her to her gate. It is easy and fast. You are right, the fare makes no difference.

Tip for connecting from an ERJ... pack small squishy carry-on. If you have a tight connection, you don't want to be hanging around for gate checked bags.
Thanks for the tip on the carry on. That makes good sense.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 3:01 pm

Programs: 1K on United; MARR = PLAT; HIL = DIA; Avis = First; NAT = Ex Elite

Last edited by GoBucks27; Sep 21, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.