IRROP handeling by CO (UA took over)

Old Jan 27, 11, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Cattle Class
IRROP handeling by CO (UA took over)

Here's my story about IRROPS handeling by CO. Sorry if it's too long
Was scheduled on Wednesday's 4 PM flight SFO-EWR (original ticket ticketed and operated by CO).
Got to the airport on time, and flight got delayed by ~1.5 hrs and later cancelled.
Rebooked (Elite desk) to 10 PM (which was already delayed by 2 hrs) ok, I thought, stuff happens.
Stayed at the airport browsing CO.com and noticed that can do SFO(UA)LAS(CO)EWR, great and Elite desk changed my flights.
Got to LAS successfully and that's where all fun starts.
At LAS got to the CO gate and LAS-EWR flight is cancelled.
Person "working the CO gates" informs me, that the best she can do is to get me to EWR on Thursday late night, I ask her to check other options (other carriers).Her response - we can do only CO, UA and *A. I told her that she's wrong and she told me to go back to UA and talk to them maybe they can do anything.
On my way back to UA gates I give a call to CO Elite desk.
Elite desk has the same story (CO, UA and *A) but she's still looking....
I get to the UA gates and there's another pax same as me (missed EWR). To my surprise UA is booking him on AA flights to EWR. I ask elite desk on the phone to confirm that they cannot book me on non *A flights and she said yes, even they could there's nothing available, but when I pointed out that UA was able to find flights and CO isn't, there's something wrong, all I got was "I'm sorry" to which I responded "SO am I". I felt like CO really doesn't give a sh.. they just want you to go away with your problems.
So now talking to UA folks, and .oh boy,... I was really impressed the way they handled my case.
They looked at all possible options, decided that the best they could do was morning AA flight to JFK.
Since ticked was issued by CO they couldn'd complete their transaction (something didn't go through).
Thy called CO, I didn't hear the conversation, but after the call UA comment was "I cannot believe he said that" (UA agent said that to another UA agent, not me).
When I asked what happened, UA agent said that CO told her, that I got rebooked on 28th (Friday) and since it's WX they will not do anything else as it's not their problem.
I got surprised too, since I didn't change my flights to 28th.
Anyway, UA didn't give up. They(!) called AA to see if there's anything can be done to put me on the morning flight, AA suggested even better, to take red eye to Dallas and early morning to EWR. I said sure. So UA was working directly with AA and it took them ~30 minutes (since CO decided not to cooperate) to put me on those flights but they did an outstanding job.
I really hope that new UACO will keep UA's IRROPs handling. I really was impressed.
I have couple of questions:
Is it true that during IRROPS (WX) they cannot put me on other than *A? (source) I believe I read somewhere that *A would be first choice but if nothing available, then other carriers should be considered.
Should I shoot a note to "the most professional..." letting them know that there's some space for improvement or just accept that they do not care?
Will I get CO EQMs on the segments flown on AA?
Is there any UA.com/feedback? Would like to pass my thank you to them.

p.s. SFO-LAS was my very first UA flight and they treated me way better than "my own" CO.
Old Jan 27, 11, 9:40 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
i was at mht last saturday. the mht-iad went mechanical and was delayed for 2+ hours at least. one lady was upset that she couldnt arrive LHR on time for her family gathering. she was suggested to fly via mht-ord-lhr to arrive 6 hours later. she pressed on, and was told about mht-phl-lhr arriving 4 hours later.
i used expertflyer and found mht-phl-lhr where the last segment was on BA (as opposed to US). she went to the desk and got rebooked on to the flight. (she has no status.)

i am impressed.
Old Jan 27, 11, 9:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Sounds like the UA folks went above and beyond. Sounds like the CO gave you their typical treatment. I used to think that UA was better at IRROPS because it had SOOO much more practice than CO. Now I think the CO employees just enjoying torturing passengers and hiding behind rules.
Old Jan 27, 11, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Cattle Class
Originally Posted by gawhite411 View Post
Sounds like the UA folks went above and beyond.
100% agree, UA didn't give up even when CO refused to help UA so UA can help them (CO). They had difficulties to put me on AA flight (not sure what was the actual issue, but I think CO refused to reissue the ticked) so one UA agent instead of calling multiple times to AA coordinating all the transfer, went straight to AA agents and worked with them to make it happen.
Old Jan 27, 11, 10:07 pm

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
I had a UA Codeshare/CO Metal flight to GVA get Cancelled. CO didn't want anything besides CO metal, and they wanted me to wait 2 days at EWR and Standby or have a confirmed seat in 3 days. Call 1K line, they apologize (as they always do) and got me a night at a W in NYC, car 9 service from EWR and to JFK next morning, then JFK-IAD-GVA the next day, and an op-up from C > F.

For work I notified our travel office to put in my preferences NO CO flights for long haul.
Old Jan 27, 11, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I felt like CO really doesn't give a sh.. they just want you to go away with your problems.
no kidding. I guess shutting down the call center during WX helps them too, this way they don't even have to pretend to 'try to help'...
Old Jan 27, 11, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by entropy View Post
no kidding. I guess shutting down the call center during WX helps them too, this way they don't even have to pretend to 'try to help'...
Tell the truth please.

The Call Center isn't/wasn't shut down due to weather. They had too many calls to the Center and couldn't handle the volume.
Old Jan 27, 11, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Awtas View Post
Is it true that during IRROPS (WX) they cannot put me on other than *A? (source) I believe I read somewhere that *A would be first choice but if nothing available, then other carriers should be considered.
CO was inCOrrect. They can indeed book you on non-Star carriers if that works better for you. Star Alliance rebooking guidelines are here.

Should I shoot a note to "the most professional..." letting them know that there's some space for improvement or just accept that they do not care?
Absolutely. Might not get anything done, but they need to know they can improve in this regard.

Will I get CO EQMs on the segments flown on AA?
Not automatically. You'll have to write CO and request them and hope for the best.

Is there any UA.com/feedback? Would like to pass my thank you to them.
www.ualsurvey.com -- you can provide feedback and enter their contest once for every segment you fly with them.

p.s. SFO-LAS was my very first UA flight and they treated me way better than "my own" CO.
Glad to hear it. Hope UA-style IRROPS protection stands going forward. It's a shame that CO treated one of their Plats this way, but I've been in the same boat myself. Though people on this board have attempted to trivialize my issues by suggesting I'm not nice to the CO staff. I'm just as nice to CO staff as I am to UA or DL staff, but like you, I just find CO staff to be less COoperative.
Old Jan 27, 11, 10:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Sticking to the facts would really be a boost to your credibility ^
Old Jan 27, 11, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by star_world View Post
Sticking to the facts would really be a boost to your credibility ^

I think we're aware of CO's staffing issues and problems getting through on IRROP days. While saying the call center is "shut down" may be an exaggeration, there is merit to the point.
Old Jan 27, 11, 10:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by channa View Post
I think we're aware of CO's staffing issues and problems getting through on IRROP days. While saying the call center is "shut down" may be an exaggeration, there is merit to the point.
I think we're aware that you are (vastly) stretching the truth (again) to further the continuous melodrama and hyperbole you are so fond of

"shut down" and "every agent in every call center working with clients" are similar how, exactly?
Old Jan 27, 11, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by sfogate View Post
Tell the truth please.

The Call Center isn't/wasn't shut down due to weather. They had too many calls to the Center and couldn't handle the volume.
While I agree that it wasn’t simply shut down, from a customer’s perspective, especially one getting screwed around with, “shut down” and “can’t handle the volume” may as well be the same thing.

And that’s a perfectly justifiable perspective IMO.
Old Jan 27, 11, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Tell the truth please.

Umm, the TRUTH is that for SEVERAL DAYS, non-elites were not able to reach the call center. That's not "could not handle", in that some people could get through if they tried enough (that was true of the Elite line...). So the truth is that without elite status, a customer would not have been able to be re-accomodated for almost a week. Sorry sfogate .
Old Jan 27, 11, 11:01 pm
Suspended

Umm, the TRUTH is that for SEVERAL DAYS, non-elites were not able to reach the call center. That's not "could not handle", in that some people could get through if they tried enough (that was true of the Elite line...). So the truth is that without elite status, a customer would not have been able to be re-accomodated for almost a week. Sorry sfogate .
how on earth have you arrived at this conclusion? The fact is that plenty of non-elites were getting through to the call centers, which is what was causing all of the inbound call channels to be used. Are you seriously suggesting that the agents were just sitting back with empty phone lines because they were "shut down"? Are you basing your conclusion on the handful of posts you've read here? Come on

The elite line certainly is another story - in the past 2 major snowstorms a 2-3 minute wait was the longest I or anyone else I spoke to had.
Old Jan 27, 11, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfogate View Post
Tell the truth please.

From a customer perspective, what's the difference if one can't get through?

Originally Posted by star_world View Post
I think we're aware that you are (vastly) stretching the truth (again) to further the continuous melodrama and hyperbole you are so fond of
Since you said "(again)," where did I stretch the truth (again) in this thread? I said we're aware of CO's staffing issues of CO's call centers on IRROP days. It's been an ongoing problem for well over a year, no? I even agreed the "shut down" comment was an exaggeration, but I said there was merit to the message. Certainly you agree with the point the poster was making, which was that it's difficult to get through to CO's call centers in these situations?

As for melodrama and hyperbole, please identify where in this thread you see that. Or are those generic comments to attempt to discredit what I say because it makes CO look bad?

"shut down" and "every agent in every call center working with clients" are similar how, exactly?
From the example in this thread, they weren't exactly "working with" the customer. Maybe if they did work with the clients and spent less time telling them no, the lines would be less tied up. @:-)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: