Newbie help AUS-HNL

Old Jan 26, 11, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, CO Pres? Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton, Avis, Hertz
Newbie help AUS-HNL

I don't think I have access to the coupon connection. I am looking to book a trip from AUS to HNL in Aug for our 10th anniversary. Prefer earlier, but am flexible.

Background
I'm Platinum, my wife has no elite status. I have 140K miles and 4 SWU upgrades, my wife has like 40K miles. I wouldn't mind a stopover in SFO or LAX. I have a Pres Plus card if that matters. I would prefer to pay for my ticket(for status) and use miles for my wifes.

My questions are as follows
1.) Do I have to buy a ticket to use the SWU or miles to upgrade to F for my wife's ticket? I've heard you can upgrade a reward ticket, but get conflicting reports.
2.) Do I have to use mult. destinations for a stopover?
3.) How do stopovers usually work?
4.) Any coupons that aren't going to be used would be appreciated, do you actually have to have them or just a code.
5.) Fares and reward tickets seems to have changed drastically recently, should I wait or is it only going to get worse?

I would love any advice, since not knowing the answers to these question make it impossible to make any decisions. Obviously I have thrown a lot up here so even if you can only answer 1 of the questions, it would be appreciated.
Old Jan 26, 11, 10:29 am
Original Poster

6.) If I use miles or SWU, does that have to be CO metal? I know UA has a SFO-HNL 777 that has three classes. How would an upgrade work with that? Could I get F or would it be biz?
Old Jan 26, 11, 10:45 am
Original Poster

7.) How do I get on Coupon Connection?
Old Jan 26, 11, 11:46 am

Location: Lakeside, AZ, USA, in the beautiful White Mountains of Eastern Arizona (Home airport SOW; Major airports PHX/ABQ)
Programs: UA, MR
Originally Posted by AUSshouldbeahub View Post
7.) How do I get on Coupon Connection?
Won't venture to answer the rest, but the answer for this one is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coupo...-2010-246.html
Old Jan 26, 11, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
6.) If I use miles or SWU, does that have to be CO metal? I know UA has a SFO-HNL 777 that has three classes. How would an upgrade work with that? Could I get F or would it be biz?
SWUs need to be CO Metal.
Old Jan 26, 11, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Platinum
The UA 777s that go to Hawaii are all 2 class. It is domestic first. Same seats as on a 320 or 757 etc..
Old Jan 26, 11, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

OK, #6 and 7 asked and answered. Thanks, any help on 1-5
Old Jan 26, 11, 2:47 pm

5.) Fares and reward tickets seems to have changed drastically recently, should I wait or is it only going to get worse?
For a few hours yesterday I believe I saw AUS-HNL roundtrip in the $600 range. You just have to check frequently and hope that something is there, fares like that don't last long.

As for rewards, as a Plat you can book a reward ticket and then if a good fare comes along you can cancel the reward ticket and receive all of your miles back for no fee.

One thing to note about using miles to upgrade purchased tickets is that IAH-HNL is considered a BF market with copays on mileage upgrades. This is where those B fares may affect you as AUS-HNL are probably sky high now. If you choose a UA option (AUS-ORD/SFO/DEN/LAX-HNL) try for the flights on a 763 or 772, these flights are UDU eligible.
Old Jan 26, 11, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nova08 View Post
One thing to note about using miles to upgrade purchased tickets is that IAH-HNL is considered a BF market with copays on mileage upgrades.
If I flew on the BF IAH-HNL ones, I would definately use the SWU. Can I use those if I get a reward y ticket?

Sorry, I just see so many different ways to do this.
Old Jan 26, 11, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nova08 View Post
If you choose a UA option (AUS-ORD/SFO/DEN/LAX-HNL) try for the flights on a 763 or 772, these flights are UDU eligible.
Sorry, would I have to purchase a ticket for the UDU or can I use a reward Y ticket? What are the odds of getting companion upgrade?
Old Jan 26, 11, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
If I flew on the BF IAH-HNL ones, I would definately use the SWU. Can I use those if I get a reward y ticket?

Sorry, I just see so many different ways to do this.
nope, SWUs are revenue only.
Old Jan 26, 11, 4:09 pm

I don't think I have access to the coupon connection. I am looking to book a trip from AUS to HNL in Aug for our 10th anniversary. Prefer earlier, but am flexible.

Background
I'm Platinum, my wife has no elite status. I have 140K miles and 4 SWU upgrades, my wife has like 40K miles. I wouldn't mind a stopover in SFO or LAX. I have a Pres Plus card if that matters. I would prefer to pay for my ticket(for status) and use miles for my wifes.

My questions are as follows
1.) Do I have to buy a ticket to use the SWU or miles to upgrade to F for my wife's ticket? I've heard you can upgrade a reward ticket, but get conflicting reports.
2.) Do I have to use mult. destinations for a stopover?
3.) How do stopovers usually work?
4.) Any coupons that aren't going to be used would be appreciated, do you actually have to have them or just a code.

I would love any advice, since not knowing the answers to these question make it impossible to make any decisions. Obviously I have thrown a lot up here so even if you can only answer 1 of the questions, it would be appreciated.
You seem to have gotten some conflicting information here unfortunately - let's see if we can straighten this out for you.
1) MUST be a revenue ticket to use SWUs
2) Are you saying you actually WANT a stopover, or just that you will take one if that's all you can get? If you want a stopover, then you're going to end up on flights that are all eligible for elite upgrades for yourself. If you are still planning to use miles for your wife however, you would have to redeem the reward in first. There's a risk - will you get upgraded.. Who knows??? If however you end up on the IAH-HNL, then you're using your SWUs. This is a much preferred way to go, unless you actually want a stopover, as long as you can find first-class reward inventory.
3) You would have to use the multi-city search for flight availability involving a stopover. Or just search for the flights individually and call in.
4) Not sure what coupons you would want - I doubt too many people are letting go of SWUs, and you already have some. Not sure if I've ever seen any $$ off CO coupons that included Hawaii.
5) Find a reward now, make changes along the way, and/or waitlist for the flights you really want. Since presumably you're looking for a FC award, the miles will be coming out of your account based on your balances, so your Plat status should help.

If you can't find any availability on the IAH-HNL-IAH nonstops, and you're really itching to go ahead and book, I would suggest returning on CO172 - since it leaves at 1:45pm, so you're not doing an overnight on a 737 (and odds of an upgrade are very good). Then rest in LA and continue on. And as long as I'm throwing out suggestions - go anywhere BUT HNL on your Hawaii trip.
Old Jan 26, 11, 4:29 pm

How long were you planning on staying? I see a FC award for AUS-IAH-HNL on the 23rd. Returns via LAX are available most days (for example the 31st, with an overnight then continuing on the 1st, conceivably on a BF-equipped 757). Cost to purchase is $919, plus 1 SWU (or 2 if you want to lock in the return).
Old Jan 27, 11, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wx4caster View Post
4) Not sure what coupons you would want - I doubt too many people are letting go of SWUs, and you already have some. Not sure if I've ever seen any $$ off CO coupons that included Hawaii.
I was looking at this thread.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...te-09chfs.html
Old Jan 27, 11, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wx4caster View Post
How long were you planning on staying? I see a FC award for AUS-IAH-HNL on the 23rd. Returns via LAX are available most days (for example the 31st, with an overnight then continuing on the 1st, conceivably on a BF-equipped 757). Cost to purchase is $919, plus 1 SWU (or 2 if you want to lock in the return).
I was thinking anywhere from 5-10 days. I don't want to fly that late because school will be starting for my kiddos.

Search this Thread