Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Upgrade awards using OnePass miles

Old Jan 24, 11, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5-star, Marriott Gold

Has anyone done this? I've searched and it is hard to find out a lot of information about these. Here are my questions:

1) From what I've gathered, you need to be booked in Y or B to upgrade from economy to business, correct? The return on my upcoming trip is in B so I'm hoping to use miles on that.

2) I've also seen it written that it is segment by segment so that if you have a connection you'd have to pay separately for each leg, is that correct?

3) Where is the award chart to figure out how many miles it would be?

4) No copays on these, right?

5) I've heard that there is no waitlisting for these, that there has to be availability or you have to call back, is that correct? If so, what's the easiest way to check for availability for LH metal?

6) Can one just call the elite line, or do you need to call the OPSC to book these?

Thanks for all of your help.
Old Jan 24, 11, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.591 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

All the assumptions are correct. The award chart is the regular award chart, just calculated per segment. You can call the regular rez line or just do it online.

To check for inventory on LH I would use the ANA site.
Old Jan 24, 11, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
To check for inventory on LH I would use the ANA site.
I've tried to do this several times, but the ANA site seems difficult to navigate (for this novice). Is there a brief guide somewhere with tips or help for learning how to use it?
Old Jan 24, 11, 1:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Start here: https://www.ana.co.jp/asw/AMCTopServlet?type=e.

On the left nav column at the top click on Award Reservation.

Assuming you are logged in to your account you should get a page offering you "ANA International Flight Awards" and "Using Star Alliance Member Airlines" as search options. If you have no ANA miles (and odds are you do not) then the partner option will be grayed out. To get past that you can either do a search on ANA flights (e.g. NRT-GMP) or follow the details here.

Put in the correct outbound date on the *A page (the return will change to 3 days later but it shouldn't matter) and the cities. Click search. If it comes back with the peach-ish "OK" then there is a seat available.

Or you can post the date/route here (or PM me) and I can check it, at least once. :-:
Old Jan 24, 11, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Thanks for the help!
Old Jan 24, 11, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL DM, EK PL
Why is it, that ANA is the only site of any *A partner that actually allows us to see everything available? Shouldn't this be a goal of all partners to allow us to see everyone's inventory? Aren't they trying to get us to use all of our miles??

Just sayin....
Old Feb 19, 11, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5-star, Marriott Gold
Okay, one key detail that's been left out here. If you book codeshare flights, you're of out luck. For example, if you book (as I did) on the CO a website a LH flight under a CO flight number, you can't upgrade it. Doesn't matter that you're in a qualifying fare bucket. In other words, just book the whole thing on the LH (or other carrier's website) and don't use the CO website for these types of trips. Guess I'm doing the whole thing in the back...
Old Feb 19, 11, 4:56 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by octopic View Post
Okay, one key detail that's been left out here. If you book codeshare flights, you're of out luck. For example, if you book (as I did) on the CO a website a LH flight under a CO flight number, you can't upgrade it. Doesn't matter that you're in a qualifying fare bucket. In other words, just book the whole thing on the LH (or other carrier's website) and don't use the CO website for these types of trips. Guess I'm doing the whole thing in the back...
Sorry, but its kind of a well known detail that codeshare flight numbers cannot be upgraded for Star Alliance Upgrade Award.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: