Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Report: HNL President's Club, AKA: The RCC

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
Report: HNL President's Club, AKA: The RCC

Flew to the mainland from HNL on CO2 last week and decided to wander down to the Red Carpet Club above Gate 10 in the Diamond Head concourse. Be aware that the club is located on the second level and there is currently only one escalator going up and one down in operation (multiple escalators at Gates 10 and 11 but only 2 working). RCC looks to be almost double the size of the old PC. The view is terrific since the whole side of the RCC facing the runway is glass. Plenty of chairs and tables. WiFi is free and PC members can get a card at the front desk to allow access. Maria Dos Santos, who operated the PC bar is now at the RCC and I saw one other CO front desk person there. Nice to know some of the staff avoided the ax. General decor of the RCC is in serious need of an upgrade. Faded, peeling paint on some of the walls and some of the furniture looked pretty tired. From gate 24, it was about a 15 minute walk but you can also take the Wiki-Wiki shuttle there. Fully stocked bar. Food was definitely a notch below the PC. Gorp mix, yogurt covered nuts, some cookies and cheese cubes and that was it. No grapes or other fruit and no chips. Pleasant enough place to spend a couple hours but hopefully the New United will clean it up.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Thank you for the report!

Here is my take:

"They'll be some changes in the months ahead, and we think you'll like them"

Translation: yogurt-covered nuts and cookies gone. Cheese cubes swapped for Tillamook packets. Pineapple chunks? Available for sale in the Dole shop out in the terminal

I am really sorry to hear about any of the HNL PC crew being let go - I hope positions were found for them elsewhere within the station. They were all pretty much amazing and CO would be foolish to let them go.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Aloha1
Food was definitely a notch below the PC.
Think (maybe) a majority of us would disagree with your food assessment - generally speaking.

Gorp mix, yogurt covered nuts, some cookies and cheese cubes and that was it. No grapes or other fruit and no chips.
No carrots, celery, and tomatoes in the afternoon/evening, to go along with crackers / cheese? I find those at RCCs whenver I travel.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 1:35 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold
I was there on Saturday. I was a little annoyed because they would only give me one free wifi card instead of one for me and my guest. Since it's upstairs and large, why do they bother with those cards?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 2:59 pm

There are more snack options now than there were in the former PClub. If you look carefully they moved some of the PClub furniture to the RCC. It would be nice if they moved all the CO operated flights to gates six through eleven as it wld allow eligible customers easier access to the RCC. Your case is a perfect example of this.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Think (maybe) a majority of us would disagree with your food assessment - generally speaking.
While you are correct for most clubs, the HNL PC was a notch above the typical CO club in terms of fare. They had fresh fruit (grapes and pineapple) above the usual prepackaged CO fare. Clearly that did not make it onto $misek's radar before the club was clo$ed, or we would have seen that eliminated much earlier.

I think that since the RCC is in HNL, they should offer free mai tais, just like UA does on the plane.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 3:15 pm
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
Flew to the mainland from HNL on CO2 last week and decided to wander down to the Red Carpet Club above Gate 10 in the Diamond Head concourse. ........ From gate 24, it was about a 15 minute walk ....
And from Gate 12, it is still a 10-min walk! (at Hawaiian speed ...)
Old Jan 19, 2011, 6:57 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by channa
While you are correct for most clubs, the HNL PC was a notch above the typical CO club in terms of fare. They had fresh fruit (grapes and pineapple) above the usual prepackaged CO fare. Clearly
^ Agree
Old Jan 19, 2011, 7:13 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
+1
Old Jan 19, 2011, 9:13 pm

Programs: Too Many
I agree they should move all of the COs flights over to the Diamond Head end of the terminal, so it is not necessary to walk anymore. There always seems to be gate space over there anyway.

I have always liked the HNL RCC. People are nice, nice views, and a slower atmosphere then the typical RCC. I agree that the former HNL PC was also better than the typical PC. The best would be if the RCC added more fruit choices at HNL like the former PC. But hey, I would like to see more fruit in all of the RCCs.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 9:45 pm

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
I'm heading out that way next week for the first time since the president's club closed. I'll definitely miss the fresh fruit as that was all I really ate. I hope to see some familiar faces at the RCC. I am not looking forward to the walk though.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:05 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by thebreezytraveler
I was there on Saturday. I was a little annoyed because they would only give me one free wifi card instead of one for me and my guest. Since it's upstairs and large, why do they bother with those cards?
I had the same problem in DEN at one lounge, but at the other I didn't. Depends on the person at the desk...
Old Jan 20, 2011, 1:23 am

Programs: United Global Services, Lifetime Hilton Diamond
CO App still lists HNL President Club Location

Was in HNL on Saturday. Before leaving, I updated my CO app. Searched for President's Club in HNL and it said right by gate 13 and had hours and phone number. Mentioned this at the United Club to the CO agent and they called Houston to report it. The rep in Houston did not believe it and they asked me to speak with them. As of today, my app still has the club listed. Considering it closed in November, you would think that someone would be able to document it.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by LHR Wannabee
The rep in Houston did not believe it and they asked me to speak with them.
This reaction is understandable. With CO's superiority culture, it's difficult for them to accept that they could make a mistake.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 9:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by channa
This reaction is understandable. With CO's superiority culture, it's difficult for them to accept that they could make a mistake.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.