Book thru Orbitz?

Old Jan 19, 11, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Book thru Orbitz?

I need to go IAH-YYZ (on AC), then ORD-IAH (UA or CO). Using ITA, the cheapest option is a UA codeshare on the AC flight, then a CO flight number on CO metal ORD-IAH.

I can't purchase the itinerary on CO.com, as they don't have a codesahre on the AC flight I need.
When I try to purchase the flight on UA.com, it slaps a UA flight number on the CO flight I need and raises the price.

It all prices out fine on Orbitz/Travelocity/Expedia, with a UA # on the AC flight and a CO number on the CO flight. Is there any reason not to save ~$40 per ticket and book it this way? I wouldn't expect it should have any effect on AC's recognition of my CO status.

Thanks.
Old Jan 19, 11, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Should be fine. Only issues you typically have with agency tickets are if you have to change it, the airline may make you work directly with the agency.
Old Jan 19, 11, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by channa View Post
Should be fine. Only issues you typically have with agency tickets are if you have to change it, the airline may make you work directly with the agency.
I figured, but I thought I'd ask - just in case I was completely missing something. Thanks.
Old Jan 19, 11, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tvetter01 View Post
I figured, but I thought I'd ask - just in case I was completely missing something. Thanks.
Not a bad idea...couple years ago there would have been EQM implications for CO credit, but those days are fortunately behind us.
Old Jan 19, 11, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Not a bad idea...couple years ago there would have been EQM implications for CO credit, but those days are fortunately behind us.
Yeah, I think I'm about 15,000 lifetime EQMs lighter because of it (which isn't bad, actually). Interestingly (or not), I haven't had to book a single ticket through an agent since they restored the 100% EQM's on discount fares.
Old Jan 20, 11, 9:34 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
FWIW I have in the past held an itinerary on co.com missing a segment I couldn't book - then called co.com support and they added the non code-share flight and then I purchased online. This was about two years ago - dk if it still works.
Old Jan 20, 11, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mbreuer View Post
FWIW I have in the past held an itinerary on co.com missing a segment I couldn't book - then called co.com support and they added the non code-share flight and then I purchased online. This was about two years ago - dk if it still works.
Should still be possible, but no need to since you can now use a third party and still get the EQM.
Old Jan 20, 11, 11:06 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Should still be possible, but no need to since you can now use a third party and still get the EQM.
Travel Club

Search this Thread
Search Engine: