Book thru Orbitz?

 
Old Jan 19, 11, 1:09 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 552
Book thru Orbitz?

I need to go IAH-YYZ (on AC), then ORD-IAH (UA or CO). Using ITA, the cheapest option is a UA codeshare on the AC flight, then a CO flight number on CO metal ORD-IAH.

I can't purchase the itinerary on CO.com, as they don't have a codesahre on the AC flight I need.
When I try to purchase the flight on UA.com, it slaps a UA flight number on the CO flight I need and raises the price.

It all prices out fine on Orbitz/Travelocity/Expedia, with a UA # on the AC flight and a CO number on the CO flight. Is there any reason not to save ~$40 per ticket and book it this way? I wouldn't expect it should have any effect on AC's recognition of my CO status.

Thanks.
tvetter01 is offline  
Old Jan 19, 11, 1:12 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Posts: 34,985
Should be fine. Only issues you typically have with agency tickets are if you have to change it, the airline may make you work directly with the agency.
channa is offline  
Old Jan 19, 11, 1:21 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 552
Originally Posted by channa View Post
Should be fine. Only issues you typically have with agency tickets are if you have to change it, the airline may make you work directly with the agency.
I figured, but I thought I'd ask - just in case I was completely missing something. Thanks.
tvetter01 is offline  
Old Jan 19, 11, 1:32 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Posts: 34,985
Originally Posted by tvetter01 View Post
I figured, but I thought I'd ask - just in case I was completely missing something. Thanks.
Not a bad idea...couple years ago there would have been EQM implications for CO credit, but those days are fortunately behind us.
channa is offline  
Old Jan 19, 11, 1:42 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 552
Originally Posted by channa View Post
Not a bad idea...couple years ago there would have been EQM implications for CO credit, but those days are fortunately behind us.
Yeah, I think I'm about 15,000 lifetime EQMs lighter because of it (which isn't bad, actually). Interestingly (or not), I haven't had to book a single ticket through an agent since they restored the 100% EQM's on discount fares.
tvetter01 is offline  
Old Jan 20, 11, 9:34 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Posts: 3,970
FWIW I have in the past held an itinerary on co.com missing a segment I couldn't book - then called co.com support and they added the non code-share flight and then I purchased online. This was about two years ago - dk if it still works.
mbreuer is offline  
Old Jan 20, 11, 10:22 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Posts: 34,985
Originally Posted by mbreuer View Post
FWIW I have in the past held an itinerary on co.com missing a segment I couldn't book - then called co.com support and they added the non code-share flight and then I purchased online. This was about two years ago - dk if it still works.
Should still be possible, but no need to since you can now use a third party and still get the EQM.
channa is offline  
Old Jan 20, 11, 11:06 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Posts: 3,970
Originally Posted by channa View Post
Should still be possible, but no need to since you can now use a third party and still get the EQM.
Travel Club
mbreuer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: