Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Plea to Continental to Retain Status or at least downgrade to Gold (but to no avail)

Plea to Continental to Retain Status or at least downgrade to Gold (but to no avail)

Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Continental
Unhappy Plea to Continental to Retain Status or at least downgrade to Gold (but to no avail)

Here is a email that I wrote to Continental OnePass. I was surprised at the result and now debating doing an AA challange. What would you do?

Dear Sir/Madam:

I am a long time Continental Airlines One Pass Elite Member, who has made Continental my primary airline of choice since 1996. I have had Platinum Elite status every year since 2001 except for one year. At the end of 2009, I moved to Los Angeles and started a new job. As a result beginning a new job, I travelled significantly less during 2010. Consequently, I was only able to earn enough elite qualification miles to qualify for Silver Elite status for 2011. Given my long-time loyalty to Continental Airlines, I am requesting that you let me keep my platinum elite status for 2011 (or at a minimum allow me to have to have Gold Elite status). I except to resume to my usual level of travel this year.

At this time, I have the choice of staying with Continental as my primary carrier or switching to American or Delta, either of which would match my Platinum Elite status. I would strongly prefer to stay with Continental. I am excited about the expected changes from the merger with United. However, if the decision is between Silver Elite on Continental/United or a higher elite status on another airline, I will have to think carefully about switching to the airline that provides the higher status.

Should you wish to further discuss, do not hesitate to contact me at ***-***-**** or at ****@*****.com. I am planning to book some flights soon, and waiting for your response before I do so.

Thanks again and I hope that we will find a mutually agreeable result.

RESPONSE

Dear Mr. *********:

Thank you for contacting the OnePass Service Center.

We regret we cannot upgrade your account to Gold or Platinum Elite status at this time as there are provisions in place to guarantee a particular Elite status for members who fell short of the Elite Mileage/Points required. However, promotions are sometimes created to acknowledge those who did not meet the Elite qualifications and have demonstrated their support of Continental Airlines. Should your account be included in any such promotion, you will be notified by e-mail by the end of February 2011.

Regards,

[Name deleted by moderator]
OnePass Service Center

Last edited by Xyzzy; Jan 15, 2011 at 6:56 am Reason: Personal info
Old Jan 14, 2011, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by jjnyc71
What would you do?
AA if you're gonna hit 100K EQM, DL if it's going to be less than that and primarily domestic.

Check in with us in a few months, you may think that CO did you a favor here.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Continental
I would be satisfied with Gold on Continental. American Platinum (their middle tier) has got to be better than Continental Silver.

JJ
Old Jan 14, 2011, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by channa
Check in with us in a few months, you may think that CO did you a favor here.
^

Old Jan 14, 2011, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
I would be satisfied with Gold on Continental. American Platinum (their middle tier) has got to be better than Continental Silver.

JJ

Now, why would AA or DL match you to Plat? They usually want your latest OnePass Statement (which would show you as silver), and DL used to never match to Plat (they might now, since it's not their top tier anymore).

Last edited by transportbiz; Jan 16, 2011 at 10:55 am Reason: Don't reply while on cold medicine...
Old Jan 14, 2011, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
Originally Posted by transportbiz
The OP said he'd be satisfied with Gold as well, but OnePass didn't offer that.

Now, why would AA or DL match you to Plat? They usually want your latest OnePass Statement (which would show you as silver), and DL used to never match to Plat (they might now, since it's not their top tier anymore).
AA won't match but OP can do a Plat or Gold challenge.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
...There are provisions in place to guarantee a particular Elite status for members who fell short of the Elite Mileage/Points required.
Did anyone else find this sentence dd? If there are provisions in place then they should use them. Instead, I'd guess that there are no provisions in place -- other than the buy-ups that are sometimes offered.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 5:19 pm

Could they have meant that there are provisions in place.. but that the OP didn't meet the requirements for that consideration either?

Too far off the target? Just a thought.....
Old Jan 14, 2011, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by xyzzy
Did anyone else find this sentence dd? If there are provisions in place then they should use them. Instead, I'd guess that there are no provisions in place -- other than the buy-ups that are sometimes offered.
I read the OP's text as saying "promotions" not "provisions". But maybe it was edited? Promotions would make sense, CO see they've lost too many Elite's they'll put together some "challange" type deal to for you to retain the next tier status, providing a soft(er) landing.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 5:50 pm

Programs: *
It is not clear to me why we tend to seek things we dont qualify for - the rules are clear, why dont we go along with them?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
Originally Posted by ani90
It is not clear to me why we tend to seek things we dont qualify for - the rules are clear, why dont we go along with them?
Because the answer to questions never asked is usually "no".
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by ani90
Soft landings are common place for long time customers that for some reason had a slow year. As stated before, what does it hurt to ask. Though, I personally, wouldn't have been as "threatening" with the AA, DL match talk.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:22 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Flyer_70
Because the answer to questions never asked is usually "no".
As it sould be.....unfortunately for those affected.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:45 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by transportbiz
Soft landings are common place for long time customers that for some reason had a slow year. As stated before, what does it hurt to ask. Though, I personally, wouldn't have been as "threatening" with the AA, DL match talk.
Well the email reads to me more like a threatening demand (for something one is entitiled to) ratheer than a kind request (for a favor or exemption). If I was CO I would not be enthused reading this sort of language as seems more suited to legal or military communications.

Some statements dont seem to help the cause and it surprises me that the OP is surprised at CO's response:
I am requesting that you let me keep my platinum elite status for 2011 (or at a minimum allow me to have to have Gold Elite status).
This sounds to me a very bold request indeed. How does someone asking a favor stipulate a minimum favor? Sounds rather forward to me.
Should you wish to further discuss, do not hesitate to contact me at ***-***-**** or at ****@*****.com. I am planning to book some flights soon, and waiting for your response before I do so. Thanks again and I hope that we will find a mutually agreeable result
Sounds to me like there is a dispute of some sort that needs to be resolved between two parties, but there is no dispute here. Why should they wish to discuss further?

Last edited by ani90; Jan 14, 2011 at 6:53 pm
Old Jan 14, 2011, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
My guess is you are Plat in 2010 solely because of the 2009 DEQM promotions. You need to go w/ the carrier that makes the most sense from where you're located and get back to status w/ them. CO isn't going to jump hoops for a Silver. Last thing CO Golds and Plats need is to have CO clog their ranks w/ people who haven't earned their status. It would be ludicrous for a 2011 Gold (or Plat on lower fare basis) who earned his status to lose out on an upgrade to a 2011 Silver qualifier who slimed their way to Plat.

Zero sympathy. You can still clog the Blue Carpet and occupy the tail of the upgrade list.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 14, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.