FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Travel Discount Certificate 09CHFS (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/1169947-travel-discount-certificate-09chfs.html)

walkerci Jan 8, 2011 5:16 pm

Travel Discount Certificate 09CHFS

What good are they?

Can't fly on Friday or Sunday.
Saturday night stay and 14 day advance purchase required.
Fare class restrictions.

It appears that diabolical gnomes sat down and figured out how to offer something that appears valuable, but is nearly impossible to use, and if you do use it you end up spending more money than if you didn't.

Hey Chase and CO, why don't you stop teasing us and save a few trees.

I have a drawer full of these useless instruments, mostly expired.:mad:

Better yet, how about (2) 25% off travel certificates with no restrictions whatsoever.^

Xyzzy Jan 8, 2011 5:25 pm

Does CO/Chase still offer the dollar-off certificates with similar absurd restrictions and that are only good for $2:rolleyes: or so if used for flights from a CO hub?

dergon darkhelm Jan 8, 2011 7:16 pm

Yes. The last 2 years I have given mine away to non-hub FTers who have use for them. I am yet to use one.

eloraculo Jan 20, 2011 7:31 pm

Can anyone compare them to delta companion certificates?

UAPremierExec Jan 21, 2011 5:19 pm

Ooo.. are these discount certs off base fares from non-hubs??

dergon darkhelm Jan 21, 2011 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec (Post 15707672)
Ooo.. are these discount certs off base fares from non-hubs??

Yes... many restrictions. Up to $100 off a fare >$400...but total discount limited to $20 if you depart ex EWR/CLE/IAH

tanlines Jan 21, 2011 6:26 pm

The biggest waste of trees since the National Enquirer. :(

dergon darkhelm Jan 21, 2011 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by tanlines (Post 15708012)
The biggest waste of trees since the National Enquirer. :(

I don't know .....it usually takes about 1 min for me to successfuly give them away each year and make some FTer happy :)

tanlines Jan 21, 2011 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by dergon darkhelm (Post 15708055)
I don't know .....it usually takes about 1 min for me to successfuly give them away each year and make some FTer happy :)

I guess if you're a casual flyer, not in a hub, and you're very flexible with your travel plans, it could be a nice discount. But $20 from IAH....what's the point?!?

AUSshouldbeahub Jan 22, 2011 8:38 am

Id be happy to take one. I am getting ready to buy 2 tickets from AUS-HNL for 6-8 nights in Aug. Anyone have a cert that would help out there?

captain_starwood Jan 22, 2011 2:40 pm

I'd love one

How can I get my hands on one of these certificates?

LAX Jan 22, 2011 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by tanlines (Post 15708398)
I guess if you're a casual flyer, not in a hub, and you're very flexible with your travel plans, it could be a nice discount. But $20 from IAH....what's the point?!?

Maybe the point is for you to give these away to non-hub, casual, & very flexible flyers who otherwise would not fly CO to attract more business?:D

LAX

AUSshouldbeahub Jan 26, 2011 10:58 am

Can't fly on Friday or Sunday.
Saturday night stay and 14 day advance purchase required.
Fare class restrictions.
...I'm fine with that:D

JetAway Jan 26, 2011 11:34 am

Useful as kindling, not much else.

Ilove2fly Jan 26, 2011 1:07 pm

I think I saved $20 once using one of the many many I received from Chase. Continental gives away (or used to) a 10% off certificate they felt really guilty about irr ops that are not weather related. I used on of those which amounts to less than $100 on an international flight.