Travel Discount Certificate 09CHFS

Old Jan 26, 2011, 1:34 pm

I'm a chase cardholder and have never received these. My anniversary date was in November. I see by the discussion they aren't worth much, but should I have already gotten them by now?
Old Jan 26, 2011, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by metermaid33
I'm a chase cardholder and have never received these. My anniversary date was in November. I see by the discussion they aren't worth much, but should I have already gotten them by now?
Whether you receive these or not depends on which Chase card you signed up fr. The $85/year card used to offer these certificates as well as two Presidents Club passes every year.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by JetAway
Useful as kindling, not much else.
Ah, an excellent idea. It's going to be quite cool here this evening, so I'll dig mine out and then use them to get the fireplace going....

And another "wonderful" Chase benefit is the two-for-one BF ticket offer (which appears to cost more than if you purchased two BF tickets)......
Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Pres? Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by jlemon
Ah, an excellent idea. It's going to be quite cool here this evening, so I'll dig mine out and then use them to get the fireplace going....

And another "wonderful" Chase benefit is the two-for-one BF ticket offer (which appears to cost more than if you purchased two BF tickets)......
AGAIN, for the kindling people, I will gladly send you some firewood if you send me the certs. I just don't know how to use them and can't access coupon connection due to my status.

Yes the 2fer BF tickets have to be FULL fare, and they aren't kidding. I prices AUS-HNL. Z fare was $2167 and called in for full fare and it was $4850
Old Jan 27, 2011, 12:18 pm
RETIRED ACCOUNT

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by AUSshouldbeahub
AGAIN, for the kindling people, I will gladly send you some firewood if you send me the certs. I just don't know how to use them and can't access coupon connection due to my status.

Yes the 2fer BF tickets have to be FULL fare, and they aren't kidding. I prices AUS-HNL. Z fare was $2167 and called in for full fare and it was $4850
They are only good "For travel within the 48 United States or from the 48 United States to Canada, Latin America or the Caribbean"

Further restrictions:

-Max discount of $20 to/from IAH, CLE or EWR
-Not valid Friday or Sunday. Blackout dates may apply.
-Round-trip purchase and a Saturday night stay are required.
-14 day advance purchase
-May not be combined with other offers
-May not be used on G/T/E/L/W/S or N class of service
-Not valid on codeshares.

These things are complete and absolute garbage. In 3 years of extensive travel I have not found one instance (hub, non-hub, etc.) in which using one of these certificates has offered any savings. In fact, entering the code forces the co.com to show only qualifying fare classes (or used to, not sure if it still does this) so that the fare available after the discount was HIGHER than the rack rate Economy fare.

Quite frankly, I would be surprised if someone hasn't tried to sue over these certificates. They are blatently used to to market the credit card by misleading people to believe that they will be receiving discounts of up to $200, but the fine print causes the value of these to be next to nothing (or even causes people not careful enough, or well-versed enough in the way fare classes work to pay more than they would without using a certificate) for an overwhelming majority of flyers.

I have every intention of returning my now expired 2010 certificates to Chase, thanking them for the dust-collection devices, and calmly requesting at $200 statement credit.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 1:13 pm

I assuming that means if you don't start or end at a hub you are ok connecting through one?
Wow, yes, the fare class thing hurts the odds, but it might work for some of my flights, but I fly a bunch.

Why did you get them? I can say I know Chase will give you nothing
Old Jan 27, 2011, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by benFlys
They are only good "For travel within the 48 United States or from the 48 United States to Canada, Latin America or the Caribbean"

Further restrictions:

-Not valid Friday or Sunday. Blackout dates may apply.
-Round-trip purchase and a Saturday night stay are required.
-14 day advance purchase
-May not be combined with other offers
-May not be used on G/T/E/L/W/S or N class of service
-Not valid on codeshares.

These things are complete and absolute garbage. In 3 years of extensive travel I have not found one instance (hub, non-hub, etc.) in which using one of these certificates has offered any savings. In fact, entering the code forces the co.com to show only qualifying fare classes (or used to, not sure if it still does this) so that the fare available after the discount was HIGHER than the rack rate Economy fare.

Quite frankly, I would be surprised if someone hasn't tried to sue over these certificates. They are blatently used to to market the credit card by misleading people to believe that they will be receiving discounts of up to $200, but the fine print causes the value of these to be next to nothing (or even causes people not careful enough, or well-versed enough in the way fare classes work to pay more than they would without using a certificate) for an overwhelming majority of flyers.

I have every intention of returning my now expired 2010 certificates to Chase, thanking them for the dust-collection devices, and calmly requesting at $200 statement credit.
I think the inability to use these certificates on G/T/E/L/W/S and N fares is truly outrageous. It's also the primary reason I've never tried to use them. They are a ripoff.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:59 pm
Suspended

They are completely worthless. I have tried to use them many times to no avail. I am sure there are company apologists on this board that think otherwise ( )....but, don't believe them.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:17 am

Confused. I actually found a fare that was eligible for the discount, and it reflected the discount on the corresponding webpages throughout the reservation process, but then on the final page, after the system accepted my CC info, price went back to original fare (up 20 dollars). Anybody have any insight on this?
Old Mar 2, 2011, 10:12 am

Programs: AAEXP, BASlv, UAGold, Hyatt Diam, IHG Plt, SPG Plt, HH Diam, MR Plat, CC Gold, Nat ExecElite
I have two of these certificates that I just received a couple months ago (valid Dec 2010 - Nov 2011). However, my certificates do not exclude G class fares:

"Not valid with fares booked in Q/T/S/L/I/W or X class of service. Not combinable with any other travel certificate, One Pass reward or other discounted fares"

When I search using the offer code on the certificate it does not bring up any G fares (which happen to be the lowest priced fares on the itinerary I'm searching).

If my itinerary meets all the other requirements, should they still have to honor this certificate for that itinerary?
Old Mar 2, 2011, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by KevinInRI
I have two of these certificates that I just received a couple months ago (valid Dec 2010 - Nov 2011). However, my certificates do not exclude G class fares:

"Not valid with fares booked in Q/T/S/L/I/W or X class of service. Not combinable with any other travel certificate, One Pass reward or other discounted fares"

When I search using the offer code on the certificate it does not bring up any G fares (which happen to be the lowest priced fares on the itinerary I'm searching).

If my itinerary meets all the other requirements, should they still have to honor this certificate for that itinerary?
The computers won't spit out the low fares using this voucher. We had this issue last year when CO went to WESTNL for the lowest rates, and the certs said Q/T/S/L/I/W or X.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:08 am

Programs: Continental Onepass
Arrow Travel Certificate - 09CHFS

Originally Posted by walkerci
What good are they?

Can't fly on Friday or Sunday.
Saturday night stay and 14 day advance purchase required.
Fare class restrictions.

It appears that diabolical gnomes sat down and figured out how to offer something that appears valuable, but is nearly impossible to use, and if you do use it you end up spending more money than if you didn't.

Hey Chase and CO, why don't you stop teasing us and save a few trees.

I have a drawer full of these useless instruments, mostly expired.

Better yet, how about (2) 25% off travel certificates with no restrictions whatsoever.^

Anyone have an email contact on who to complain and vent to pertaining to the useless waste of these things? Do we complain to Chase or Continental? It doesnt do anybody who travels to/from the restricted cities any good.

Have there been alternatives given to people who are flying out of the these hubs? As a loyal Elite member, I find it insulting to not give anything to people who use reside in Houston, Cleveland and Newwark.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:41 am

I would love to be PMed any certificates. I know you will be repaid in Karma. I think I am actually going to be able to use them on a flight in Feb.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:55 am

I got 2 of these worthless (to me) certs for my year anniversary using the CO OnePass Plus card. Guess they're not very helpful flying out of EWR.

If anyone wants them, PM me and when I get home, I'll reply back with the PIN.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 6:01 pm

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
yikes. I tossed the certs and kept the #s in an excel sheet. And i've tried randomly applying to a few flights I was booking.. never got the full TOS and what a disaster... a pain in BUTT.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.