Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

EWR Doom & Gloom Thread for the [11/12-Jan-2011] Snowstorm

EWR Doom & Gloom Thread for the [11/12-Jan-2011] Snowstorm

Old Jan 11, 11, 8:41 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Any chance that CO90 from EWR-TLV tommorow night gets off? Am I better off switching to Thurs afternoon?
Old Jan 11, 11, 9:20 am

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, UA Credit Card Elite
Originally Posted by damaxer91 View Post
Any chance that CO90 from EWR-TLV tommorow night gets off? Am I better off switching to Thurs afternoon?
CO's operations website says that they have canceled over 75% of the flights at EWR from 7pm the 11th to 6pm the 12th (http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...perations.aspx). Not too sure how many if any have been canceled after 6pm so they may plan to have everything back and operational by wednesday evening.

FWIW during the last storm if I remember correctly they hoped to have things back up and running at EWR by around 6pm also, but the flights that did make it out didn't leave until closer to 11pm.
Old Jan 11, 11, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Originally Posted by skushi View Post
CO's operations website says that they have canceled over 75% of the flights at EWR from 7pm the 11th to 6pm the 12th (http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...perations.aspx). Not too sure how many if any have been canceled after 6pm so they may plan to have everything back and operational by wednesday evening.

FWIW during the last storm if I remember correctly they hoped to have things back up and running at EWR by around 6pm also, but the flights that did make it out didn't leave until closer to 11pm.
There were a few random flights that left after midnight, HKG, PEK, HAM and CPH from what I remember.
Old Jan 11, 11, 9:43 am

Programs: Cattle Class
bit confused what is the rationale behind it:
i.e. flight today CO 6854 (operated by UA) leaving EWR 7 PM shows on schedule, but flight CO 16 (landing in EWR 6:35 PM is cancelled).
Do they just randomly pick the flights that will get cancelled?
Old Jan 11, 11, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Awtas View Post
bit confused what is the rationale behind it:
i.e. flight today CO 6854 (operated by UA) leaving EWR 7 PM shows on schedule, but flight CO 16 (landing in EWR 6:35 PM is cancelled).
Do they just randomly pick the flights that will get cancelled?
UA has not cancelled that flight yet, perhaps they will operate it.
Im sure there are different factors used to determine which flights to CXL and which ones they want to attempt to operate.
Old Jan 11, 11, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 1MM+ - Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rolov View Post
UA has not cancelled that flight yet, perhaps they will operate it.
Im sure there are different factors used to determine which flights to CXL and which ones they want to attempt to operate.
I don't believe you can make a point using PMCO decisions about PMUA flights. I believe that the Operations are still separate so decisions are made (mostly) separately.

Also, the decisions to cancel flights differ when it is your hub that is getting hit verse an outstation. Meaning PMUA having one plane and one crew out of position while it is not good (or ideal) they can accommodate it much easier. PMCO (or UA if it was ORD or IAD) is going to shut down and make it easier to get back up and running quicker after the stop ends. A factor that should not be minimized is that over the xmas weekend here, the airport got opened back up but the employees had trouble getting to the airport.

Something that many don't agree with is that I believe that flight ops people don't want to risk any tarmac delays. re: DTW PMNW mess.
Old Jan 11, 11, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by koc1723 View Post
I don't believe you can make a point using PMCO decisions about PMUA flights. I believe that the Operations are still separate so decisions are made (mostly) separately.

Also, the decisions to cancel flights differ when it is your hub that is getting hit verse an outstation. Meaning PMUA having one plane and one crew out of position while it is not good (or ideal) they can accommodate it much easier. PMCO (or UA if it was ORD or IAD) is going to shut down and make it easier to get back up and running quicker after the stop ends. A factor that should not be minimized is that over the xmas weekend here, the airport got opened back up but the employees had trouble getting to the airport.

Something that many don't agree with is that I believe that flight ops people don't want to risk any tarmac delays. re: DTW PMNW mess.
I was not saying that the decision is made by combined carrier, one was a UA flight and the other a CO flight.
Old Jan 11, 11, 12:36 pm

I was the one who mentioned CO and UA flights.
My point is that if one can operate (will see how it goes) it means that airport is not impacted and CO cancelling the flight shouldn't be under the weather excuse and all appropriate compensations should be provided.
Old Jan 11, 11, 12:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My point is that if one can operate (will see how it goes) it means that airport is not impacted and CO cancelling the flight shouldn't be under the weather excuse and all appropriate compensations should be provided.
This is decidedly untrue.

It does not require that the airport be shut down for flight delays or cancellations to be weather-related.
Old Jan 11, 11, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
I'm not flying out until Thursday evening (EWR-BCN and then separate ticket on Spanair to Granada on Saturday) for a 10-day holiday. I'm so snowed under at work (figuratively) that part of me just wants to reschedule the trip (I'd just be out of pocket the very low Spanair ticket price and maybe a small rebooking fee for the course I'm taking in Granada). But on the other hand, my work life is not going to get any better in the next few months. I think I'm just going to take my chances. It's like seeing a fabulous but expensive dress (or gadget) and going back later to the store half-hoping that it will be there and half-hoping that it will be gone.

As long as I don't waste vacation days going nowhere, I think I'll be ok with going or not going on this trip.

Out of curiosity, though, does CO tend to prioritize its long-haul (e.g., trans-Atlantic) flights, especially where there is only one flight per day, in situations like this (assuming that some flights are getting out once the storm is over and the airport is just in clean-up mode)?
Old Jan 11, 11, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Kate_Canuck View Post
I'm not flying out until Thursday evening (EWR-BCN and then separate ticket on Spanair to Granada on Saturday) for a 10-day holiday. I'm so snowed under at work (figuratively) that part of me just wants to reschedule the trip (I'd just be out of pocket the very low Spanair ticket price and maybe a small rebooking fee for the course I'm taking in Granada). But on the other hand, my work life is not going to get any better in the next few months. I think I'm just going to take my chances. It's like seeing a fabulous but expensive dress (or gadget) and going back later to the store half-hoping that it will be there and half-hoping that it will be gone.

As long as I don't waste vacation days going nowhere, I think I'll be ok with going or not going on this trip.

Out of curiosity, though, does CO tend to prioritize its long-haul (e.g., trans-Atlantic) flights, especially where there is only one flight per day, in situations like this (assuming that some flights are getting out once the storm is over and the airport is just in clean-up mode)?
I think they do prioritize the long-hauls. I remember in the other snowpocalypse thread that the big flights were the first ones out.

As far as vacation or not, life is too short not to take your vacation!
Old Jan 11, 11, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
I was the one who mentioned CO and UA flights.
Fog will affect BA more than other airlines at LHR, typhoon CX more than others at HKG, and snow CO more than other airlines at EWR. That's the nature of a large hub. A lot more plane and crew positioning and connection problems for the hub.

An airport doesn't have to be 100% shut down for a hub to stop operating efficiently if at all. In fact, it will even affect the whole airline, even at far away locations.

Now, if you want to argue what should be legally/contractually "weather related" and what not, then that's a different story.
Old Jan 11, 11, 2:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by wcalvert View Post
As far as vacation or not, life is too short not to take your vacation!
It's not so much "whether" I take my vacation but "when". If I don't go now, I'll aim to go later this spring.
Old Jan 11, 11, 2:51 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Wanaque, NJ -UA-G; SPG-Plat (Lifetime Gold)
Thank goodness my 6:05 PM to TPA is on schedule and the plane is here. It has been a long trip on CO 98n from HKG and it looks good that I will get to TPA tonight. All fingers crossed.
Old Jan 11, 11, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by rkkwan View Post
Fog will affect BA more than other airlines at LHR, typhoon CX more than others at HKG, and snow CO more than other airlines at EWR. That's the nature of a large hub. A lot more plane and crew positioning and connection problems for the hub.

An airport doesn't have to be 100% shut down for a hub to stop operating efficiently if at all. In fact, it will even affect the whole airline, even at far away locations.

Now, if you want to argue what should be legally/contractually "weather related" and what not, then that's a different story.
In this case what happened, yesterday CO cancelled flights for today and tomorrow, they don't know how bad "the storm" will be and how it will impact operations as it is still possible that operations at EWR will not be impacted.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: