Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

EWR Doom & Gloom Thread for the [11/12-Jan-2011] Snowstorm

EWR Doom & Gloom Thread for the [11/12-Jan-2011] Snowstorm

 
Old Jan 10, 11, 7:43 pm
  #106  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: ROC/NYC/MSP/LAX/HKG/SIN
Programs: AA 1.75MM EXP EMD, UA 1.31MM 1K *G, DL SM, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott LT PLT(PP)/ICH AMB PLT/Hertz PC
Posts: 3,164
Originally Posted by njxbean View Post
well i CO has cancelled all flights from EWR to Portland maine on tuesday and wed. Cancelled all flights from DCA to EWR on Wednesday and a few on tuesday. Guess its amtrak for me. ANd i think Portland will have to wait. my chances of getting up there are looking slim
What's your plan schedule? Did you look IAD-PWM or PHL-PWM? Taking Amtrak from NJ to PWM would be awful.
PaulInTheSky is offline  
Old Jan 10, 11, 7:46 pm
  #107  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Jersey
Programs: UA PLT, Marriott PLT
Posts: 1,082
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010 View Post
What's your plan schedule? Did you look IAD-PWM or PHL-PWM? Taking Amtrak from NJ to PWM would be awful.
im probably going hop a flight up there tomorrow via US airways or reschedule it(which is most likely). Id be taking Amtrak back to NJ. Not to PWM. That would be awful!!!
njxbean is offline  
Old Jan 10, 11, 8:02 pm
  #108  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: IAH
Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, UA Credit Card Elite
Posts: 42
I'm flying iah-ewr flt 810 wednesday scheduled to get in at 5:35pm. Any guesses on what the likelihood of it operating as scheduled will be? It's a 777 which I'm hoping should increase the odds that it'll run as scheduled, but I'm still nervous as 2 iah-ewr flights tuesday evening have been canceled. All wednesday's flights are still showing on schedule though. I guess there's too many variables to really tell at this point whether they'll fly it or not.

Should I just hedge my bets and switch to a thursday flight now since I don't really need to be in the area until friday morning? That way at least I'll have a confirmed seat on a thursday flight if/when they start canceling more flights wednesday forcing everyone else to rebook anyway.
skushi is offline  
Old Jan 10, 11, 8:26 pm
  #109  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,541
I'm hedging here too and calling all bets off...
usa18dca is offline  
Old Jan 10, 11, 8:46 pm
  #110  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: New York / Hawaii
Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Posts: 4,204
Originally Posted by njxbean View Post
im probably going hop a flight up there tomorrow via US airways or reschedule it(which is most likely). Id be taking Amtrak back to NJ. Not to PWM. That would be awful!!!
Amtrak suspended service in the last storm, so you may not be much better off.
Weatherboy is offline  
Old Jan 10, 11, 9:02 pm
  #111  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: HNL
Programs: United 1K
Posts: 1,574
I've only recently (in the past 3 years) started traveling to the East Coast frequently, and living in Hawaii, I can't remember the last time I've had to deal with IRROPs, so this snowstorm that is affecting EWR really scares me, not only because of safety issues, but also because I have a crucial meeting in Manhattan on Friday.

I'm scheduled to leave HNL on the 12th on CO14 and arrive EWR at 10:10AM on the 13th. So far the CO website says my flight is "On Schedule", should I not take any action until it is actually canceled, or should I try to rebook on the flight that leaves HNL on the 13th and arrives on the 14th? The meeting is in the afternoon so I guess I could still make it, I'd just be very tired.

I really appreciate any advice you guys can give me. Thanks.
love_to_travel is offline  
Old Jan 10, 11, 9:13 pm
  #112  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,541
Your flight might not operate because of inbound equipment so it's a wait and see at this moment.
usa18dca is offline  
Old Jan 10, 11, 9:13 pm
  #113  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: EWR
Programs: Cattle Class
Posts: 492
Originally Posted by love_to_travel View Post
I've only recently (in the past 3 years) started traveling to the East Coast frequently, and living in Hawaii, I can't remember the last time I've had to deal with IRROPs, so this snowstorm that is affecting EWR really scares me, not only because of safety issues, but also because I have a crucial meeting in Manhattan on Friday.

I'm scheduled to leave HNL on the 12th on CO14 and arrive EWR at 10:10AM on the 13th. So far the CO website says my flight is "On Schedule", should I not take any action until it is actually canceled, or should I try to rebook on the flight that leaves HNL on the 13th and arrives on the 14th? The meeting is in the afternoon so I guess I could still make it, I'd just be very tired.

I really appreciate any advice you guys can give me. Thanks.
I believe you should be ok coming to EWR on 13th.
I have a flight coming to EWR 12th late evening and strongly believe (expect ) to make it.
Awtas is offline  
Old Jan 10, 11, 9:54 pm
  #114  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Houston
Programs: UA MP
Posts: 68
Help!!

Can someone please offer any advice on what I should do next.

Had a flight from EWR - SFO on Wednesday, and just found out everything to SFO has been cancelled.

They rebooked me for Sunday (yikes!!!)..

Called the 1800 number and they say they are not accepting any calls.

Any advice, please.....should i just go to the airport tomorrow and try my luck...

TIA
OP_Fav1 is offline  
Old Jan 10, 11, 10:05 pm
  #115  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: IAD
Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Posts: 4,207
Originally Posted by OP_Fav1 View Post
Can someone please offer any advice on what I should do next.

Had a flight from EWR - SFO on Wednesday, and just found out everything to SFO has been cancelled.

They rebooked me for Sunday (yikes!!!)..

Called the 1800 number and they say they are not accepting any calls.

Any advice, please.....should i just go to the airport tomorrow and try my luck...

TIA
UA is selling seats for their Thursday night EWR-SFO flight as well as connecting flights. When you can get through, ask them to book you on that. I imagine these flights will go quickly, so you should try calling frequently until you can get through.
njcommodore is offline  
Old Jan 10, 11, 10:09 pm
  #116  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Houston
Programs: UA MP
Posts: 68
Originally Posted by njcommodore View Post
UA is selling seats for their Thursday night EWR-SFO flight as well as connecting flights. When you can get through, ask them to book you on that. I imagine these flights will go quickly, so you should try calling frequently until you can get through.
Thanks for that njcommodore. I will try that.

But when it's a weather situation do they rebook on other airline?
OP_Fav1 is offline  
Old Jan 10, 11, 10:15 pm
  #117  
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: BWI
Posts: 7,265
So I rebooked my DL flight, which is a part of the trip for SZG... Basically my original itinerary was leaving LAX at 9:30PM on 1/12 and arriving in JFK at 5:45AM on 1/13, then take the shuttle to LGA for my 2:30PM flight to YYZ on Air Canada...

Now I am rebooked onto this itinerary:

Dep LAX at 12:30AM on 1/13 arriving in MSP at 6:03AM on 1/13 then connect onward to the 7:05AM LGA flight that arrives in LGA on 1/13 at 10:56AM...

Did I make the right move?
golfingboy is offline  
Old Jan 10, 11, 10:28 pm
  #118  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,541
Originally Posted by OP_Fav1 View Post
Thanks for that njcommodore. I will try that.

But when it's a weather situation do they rebook on other airline?
So far I've got resistance from BOTH CO and UA about rebooking on either airline due to WX... Really lame when you think about it...
usa18dca is offline  
Old Jan 11, 11, 6:58 am
  #119  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Programs: UA Platinum Marriott Platinum
Posts: 274
Why would there be no information for CO #40 on Thursday available LAX-EWR when you click on status for that flight? Every other LAX-EWR has info status on it. Does this mean its likely to be cancelled?
krentzie is offline  
Old Jan 11, 11, 7:36 am
  #120  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NYC
Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Posts: 30
Flights cancelled already

EWR-DTW on 1/12 and already all flights for the day were cancelled. Looks like CO has cancelled most of them in preparation and rebooked for either 1/11 or 1/13. Good luck getting home or going where you need to go.
sjd2 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: