Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

EWR Doom & Gloom Thread for the [11/12-Jan-2011] Snowstorm

EWR Doom & Gloom Thread for the [11/12-Jan-2011] Snowstorm

 
Old Jan 10, 11, 10:43 am
  #76  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New York, NY USA
Programs: UA Gold = nothing, UA Million Miler
Posts: 279
Originally Posted by Awtas View Post
When do we expect for EWR to close tomorrow?
CO will issue the waiver after EWR closes.
FragranceMarketingGuy is offline  
Old Jan 10, 11, 10:47 am
  #77  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: 40 41' 45" N - 74 10' 18" W
Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Posts: 18,784
They were very proactive for Friday's snow in EWR which was not much, I think they are gonna hold off on this one. Snow is forecasted to start late tomorrow night so impact will be for Wed.
rolov is offline  
Old Jan 10, 11, 10:55 am
  #78  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NY Metro Area
Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Posts: 42,870
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by Awtas
When do we expect for EWR to close tomorrow?
For New York City they are predicting 6-12 with most of it late Tuesday through Wednesday morning as I understand it. That is a lot different than 24 and it looks like a fair amount of unpredictability. For most of the area 6 inches is a pretty short disruption, 12 not a lot worse. 24 is pushing the limit and things are likely out for a day or so around here. A bit more, like 30 and it jumps to about 3 days in my experience.
GadgetFreak is online now  
Old Jan 10, 11, 11:07 am
  #79  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Posts: 28,529
Originally Posted by redtailshark View Post
I anticipate being reaccommodated on some or other StarA service that avoids EWR if things look they're really bad before we take off. But - I need the ORC! If I print BPs now, so that I have them in hand, despite whatever rebooking may or may not appear by tomorrow, can I still claim ORC for CCS?
If you fly on a Star carrier you will receive credit for what you flew, NOT the originally-scheduled route you were supposed to take. Printing boarding passes will almost certainly nt change this.
Xyzzy is offline  
Old Jan 10, 11, 11:10 am
  #80  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: New York / Hawaii
Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Posts: 4,134
Originally Posted by Awtas View Post
When do we expect for EWR to close tomorrow?
I don't expect EWR to close tomorrow. There's a decent shot the runways will be closed for service early Wednesday...but I doubt there will be enough snow for a long-term closure. However, I do think there will be a significant amount of snow to disrupt schedules...and I'm nearly certain CO will cancel flights ahead of the storm.
Weatherboy is offline  
Old Jan 10, 11, 11:13 am
  #81  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,541
Originally Posted by redtailshark View Post
So, like everyone else, I'm landing at EWR @ 1.30pm local on Tues (65). On the way to IAH and CCS! Yeah, I know. You know.

I'm in LIS right now. I have an end-on-end from IAH to TUS on Wed. Proximate destination for this leg is IAH.

I anticipate being reaccommodated on some or other StarA service that avoids EWR if things look they're really bad before we take off. But - I need the ORC! If I print BPs now, so that I have them in hand, despite whatever rebooking may or may not appear by tomorrow, can I still claim ORC for CCS?
CCS is very overbooked, you probably could get a VDB IAH-CCS!
usa18dca is offline  
Old Jan 10, 11, 11:15 am
  #82  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,541
Originally Posted by Weatherboy View Post
I don't expect EWR to close tomorrow. There's a decent shot the runways will be closed for service early Wednesday...but I doubt there will be enough snow for a long-term closure. However, I do think there will be a significant amount of snow to disrupt schedules...and I'm nearly certain CO will cancel flights ahead of the storm.
As of now all of my flights are operating as scheduled.
usa18dca is offline  
Old Jan 10, 11, 11:18 am
  #83  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: With luck - 2E
Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Marriot Plat Prmr (Plat Life), Hilton Dia, Hertz Prez Circle
Posts: 382
Originally Posted by milesmilesmiles View Post
There is existing Weather Waiver for ATL through tomorrow. Does that help?
Yes it does, and I had already spotted it, but thanks for the heads up. However this is the second attempt at this trip, so I am going to try and make it.

With a bit of luck and premptive cancellations withstanding I can get out of town before it hits.
OnePass Since 87 is offline  
Old Jan 10, 11, 11:18 am
  #84  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Morris County, NJ
Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,674
I changed my flight LGA-ORD from Wednesday to tomorrow at 7am.

I'm also supposed to be flying ORD-LGA on Thursday bright and early... we'll see what happens with that.

They're UA flights booked through CO; if I need help, should I call CO Elite and have them work it, or reach out to UA directly?
dmurphynj is offline  
Old Jan 10, 11, 11:20 am
  #85  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,541
Originally Posted by dmurphynj View Post
I changed my flight LGA-ORD from Wednesday to tomorrow at 7am.

I'm also supposed to be flying ORD-LGA on Thursday bright and early... we'll see what happens with that.

They're UA flights booked through CO; if I need help, should I call CO Elite and have them work it, or reach out to UA directly?
Does any of them have a weather waiver for the Northeast yet?
usa18dca is offline  
Old Jan 10, 11, 11:25 am
  #86  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NYC
Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
Posts: 1,628
I'm flying EWR-BCN on Thurs evening, with a subsequent flight (long layover in BCN) on Spanair that's not part of the same ticket. Hopefully, things will be straightened by Thursday evening
Kate_Canuck is offline  
Old Jan 10, 11, 11:29 am
  #87  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Morris County, NJ
Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,674
Originally Posted by usa18dca View Post
Does any of them have a weather waiver for the Northeast yet?
Nothing yet... hoping I can fly around the storm ...
dmurphynj is offline  
Old Jan 10, 11, 11:30 am
  #88  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,541
Originally Posted by dmurphynj View Post
Nothing yet... hoping I can fly around the storm ...
Did UA let u change flights for free?
usa18dca is offline  
Old Jan 10, 11, 11:31 am
  #89  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: EWR
Programs: Cattle Class
Posts: 491
Originally Posted by Weatherboy View Post
and I'm nearly certain CO will cancel flights ahead of the storm.
That's my biggest concern, as I've seen in the past, while other carriers were able to make to the destination, CO cancelled most of the flights, going to the same airport, blaming the weather.
Awtas is offline  
Old Jan 10, 11, 11:32 am
  #90  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NY Metro Area
Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Posts: 42,870
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by Kate_Canuck
I'm flying EWR-BCN on Thurs evening, with a subsequent flight (long layover in BCN) on Spanair that's not part of the same ticket. Hopefully, things will be straightened by Thursday evening
Unless there is a big change in the predictions or some fairly specific equipment issue I think Thursday night should be back to normal. If the predictions hold I would expect Wednesday night to be pretty normal. Whatever that means for EWR.
GadgetFreak is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: