Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

EWR Doom & Gloom Thread for the [11/12-Jan-2011] Snowstorm

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EWR Doom & Gloom Thread for the [11/12-Jan-2011] Snowstorm

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2011, 5:15 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Originally Posted by cruisr
I am too. I'm not bothering changing to Jan 10 as we should be fine for our arrival

I just sent a pm to mr xyzzy as he appears to be here in hkg too

OT but I bought some of the Eqms offered for this trip
It would not be so bad if I was still at my house in NJ near Princeton, but I am now a Florida resident while the NJ house is up for sale. So I will be stranded. I also bought EQMs.

I am repeating the TPA-HKG trip on Jan 31-Feb 5 and I will then be at about 84,000 EQM for the year.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 5:59 am

Programs: CO Plat & MP 1K
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
On a related note, some other carrier hubs are going to be impacted with crippling snow/ice: DFW and ATL will have very heavy (by their local standards) wintry accumulations, which will impact AA and DL obviously. Even if EWR wasn't going to be impacted, I'd imagine significant disruptions on other carriers (especially DL's ATL hub) will be felt on CO with re-accommodated passenger traffic and re-routed folks. So the pain with Old Man Winter will be shared by the big carriers this week.
When is DFW likely to be affected? -- my daughter is supposed to fly from EWR to DFW on Jan. 10th, leaving at noon, arriving at 3 pm.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 6:18 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
I'm doing LX ZRH-ORD on the 11th. Hopefully ORD won't be as bad as EWR!
Old Jan 9, 2011, 6:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
If the weather waiver goes into effect, can I change my EWR-DFW to EWR-IAH-DFW?
Old Jan 9, 2011, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rlbmorton
When is DFW likely to be affected? -- my daughter is supposed to fly from EWR to DFW on Jan. 10th, leaving at noon, arriving at 3 pm.
The DFW situation unfolds any moment; there's already ice and snow just north of town and that should head to the airport by lunch today. There will be snow today, freezing rain tonight, and freezing drizzle/sleet tomorrow morning clearing out by lunch. I know Dallas roads have salt/sand trucks, but I don't know how quick the airport is nor how equipped it is to deal with this type of winter weather and get things back on track.

In any event, I can't stress just how significant of an event this is for the deep south...there's going to be widespread snow and ice accumulations in cities in LA/AL/MS/GA that have no snow/ice removal crews and probably some decent long-term power outages in parts of MS/AL and perhaps GA from accumulating ice which brings down lines & limbs onto lines. I'd imagine flights into the smaller airports are going to be disrupted for a while. (i.e.: JAN, MEI, MGM, etc.)
Old Jan 9, 2011, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
hey Weatherboy,

how far north does this storm travel? I am supposed to fly from dc to portland maine on wednesday via EWR. But im guessing i can switch to a direct on another airline and get up there on wednesday. Im concerned about coming back.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by njxbean
hey Weatherboy,

how far north does this storm travel? I am supposed to fly from dc to portland maine on wednesday via EWR. But im guessing i can switch to a direct on another airline and get up there on wednesday. Im concerned about coming back.
Local weather in NJ/NY is reporting the main punch of the storm to come through Wed. National weather reports are saying New England could get hammered, which will hit later in the week. I'm sure weatherboy can give more specifics, but I would be prepared for a frustrating week.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by njcommodore
Local weather in NJ/NY is reporting the main punch of the storm to come through Wed. National weather reports are saying New England could get hammered, which will hit later in the week. I'm sure weatherboy can give more specifics, but I would be prepared for a frustrating week.
sweet. call me crazy, but i enjoy a good challenge/adventure now and again. its me vs the Storm!
Old Jan 9, 2011, 9:49 am
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by love_to_travel
I'm traveling HNL-EWR arriving Thursday, January 13, 2011. The storm should be done by then right?
Doesn't matter if the storm is over. The unions refuse to do their jobs and plow the runways.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
There's a new snow total map up at facebook.com/theWeatherboy so you can use that as a guage to see how far north will the heavy snow spread. Looks like CT will be the jackpot with the heaviest snow from this system. The storm track will be refined as the event nears, so the latest maps/info will be posted there.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Bulldog83
No contrarians yet? I vote for a light dusting. Your flight will be the only one cancelled though.
Unlikely. The amount of snowfall is inversely proportional to the media hype. Before the last storm, I kept begging local news to come up with a stupid name like Christmas-blast 2010, or Winter Wonderland or some other absurd name. They didn't and look what happened. They haven't named this one yet, which means we are in deep trouble.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:46 am

Programs: Cattle Class
As of now no warnings for Jan 11-12th on CO.com.
And forecast doesn't look that bad for the 1th of Jan. Will be coming to EWR on Jan 11th late night, hopefully will make it.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:58 am

Checked the Forecast, doesn't look too bad so I'll pray to the Weather Gods or my local Weatherman for my Curacao Trip, would suck to miss an exotic tropic trip cuz of snow haz in NY Area.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Vulcan
My thoughts exactly! Anywhere but EWR! It took me an extra day to get to TPA after the last storm and I had to use points for an award ticket on UA. But that is what points are for.
Why'd you have to get an award ticket? CO wouldn't rebook you??
Old Jan 9, 2011, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
What storm? Partly sunny and mid 30's scheduled for Monday and Tuesday

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.