Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

EWR Doom & Gloom Thread for the [11/12-Jan-2011] Snowstorm

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EWR Doom & Gloom Thread for the [11/12-Jan-2011] Snowstorm

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2011, 6:48 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
I'm inbound on 98 on the 11th

I would like to know Weathboy's opinion if I will get into EWR at 1:45 PM. He is an expert in local micro-forcasts.

Of course, it does not look good for my connection on to TPA at 6 PM.

Last edited by Vulcan; Jan 8, 2011 at 6:54 pm
Old Jan 8, 2011, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Vulcan

I would like to know Weathboy's opinion if I will get into EWR at 1:45 PM. He is an expert in local micro-forcasts.

I'm waiting for UA & CO to post weather waivers for IAD/NYC Area...
Old Jan 8, 2011, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by usa18dca
I'm waiting for UA & CO to post weather waivers for IAD/NYC Area...
Me too. It's prbably about 24 hours too early for that, though.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by xyzzy
Me too. It's prbably about 24 hours too early for that, though.
Right Right, so if IAD's snowed out...I'm curious if I can get UA to give me MIA-DEN-EWR
Old Jan 8, 2011, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat

MBM3 will have his camera out at CLE taking picture of your 772 arriving. Don't forget to smile. And you can then fly CLE-xxx-TPA. Don't worry.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 8:19 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Originally Posted by rkkwan
MBM3 will have his camera out at CLE taking picture of your 772 arriving. Don't forget to smile. And you can then fly CLE-xxx-TPA. Don't worry.
My thoughts exactly! Anywhere but EWR! It took me an extra day to get to TPA after the last storm and I had to use points for an award ticket on UA. But that is what points are for.

Just in the case we do make it into EWR, I doubt that the 6:05PM to TPA will go, so I went ahead and booked (on separate reservations, 2 nights at the Sheraton at 4,000 SPG points each. If we don't make it EWR, my wife will monitor and cancel these.

One can't plan too much in advance.

I am currently at the WGS in BKK and heading back over to HKG tomorrow afternoon to overnight at the W (C&P), then early to the airport on the 11th.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA*S/Club, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
No contrarians yet? I vote for a light dusting. Your flight will be the only one cancelled though.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Bulldog83
No contrarians yet? I vote for a light dusting. Your flight will be the only one cancelled though.
Excellent, and I wish you the same Sir.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond

Right now, it looks like snow starts in EWR around noon on Tuesday and wraps up by Wednesday morning. Conservatively, probably a solid foot. Less in PHL, but not enough to make a huge difference in operations between the two. Snow moves into JFK/LGA after lunch, with heavier snow expected there...in the foot plus range.

I think you'd get into EWR for 1:45p but that 6pm is toast. I think with the practice of the Boxing Day Blizzard and probably lots of pre-emptive cancellations (like for yesterday's snow), operations will resume fine on Thursday. Wednesday is recovery & dig-out day... and will also feature some traffic-slowing stiff northwest winds.

I would guess CO puts up winter weather waivers for Tuesday/Wednesday on Sunday.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Other Hubs

On a related note, some other carrier hubs are going to be impacted with crippling snow/ice: DFW and ATL will have very heavy (by their local standards) wintry accumulations, which will impact AA and DL obviously. Even if EWR wasn't going to be impacted, I'd imagine significant disruptions on other carriers (especially DL's ATL hub) will be felt on CO with re-accommodated passenger traffic and re-routed folks. So the pain with Old Man Winter will be shared by the big carriers this week.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 12:37 am

Programs: UA-1K w/2MM & lifetime U-Club; Marriott-Lifetime Titanium; IHG-Diamond; National-Exec. Elite
So I guess the fact that I'm scheduled for ISP-PHL-DFW on Tuesday could be bad
Old Jan 9, 2011, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
On a related note, some other carrier hubs are going to be impacted with crippling snow/ice: DFW and ATL will have very heavy (by their local standards) wintry accumulations, which will impact AA and DL obviously. Even if EWR wasn't going to be impacted, I'd imagine significant disruptions on other carriers (especially DL's ATL hub) will be felt on CO with re-accommodated passenger traffic and re-routed folks. So the pain with Old Man Winter will be shared by the big carriers this week.
I know you don't control the weather and you're just a Meteorologist but man...what a great way to ruin people's vacations
Old Jan 9, 2011, 3:07 am

Programs: CO PresPlat, UA GS, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Fairmont Premier, BA Silver, AVIS PresCircle
I'm on CO 50 on the 11th - the "Direct FLight" from FRA-CLE that happens to stop in EWR and swap terminals and aircraft to one half its size.

Do you suppose this day they would just go ahead and "directly" fly to CLE as the flight is marketed?! That would make me
Old Jan 9, 2011, 3:09 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium

I am too. I'm not bothering changing to Jan 10 as we should be fine for our arrival

I just sent a pm to mr xyzzy as he appears to be here in hkg too

OT but I bought some of the Eqms offered for this trip
Old Jan 9, 2011, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by cruisr
I am too. I'm not bothering changing to Jan 10 as we should be fine for our arrival

I just sent a pm to mr xyzzy as he appears to be here in hkg too

OT but I bought some of the Eqms offered for this trip
Ouch -- sounds expensive!

YGPM ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.