Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

EWR Doom & Gloom Thread for the [11/12-Jan-2011] Snowstorm

EWR Doom & Gloom Thread for the [11/12-Jan-2011] Snowstorm

Old Jan 11, 11, 9:31 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
I feared bad things from the predicted weather but I'm at IAH having transited EWR on 811 this afternoon without delay. So far, so good...even the air has been relatively smooth and I have my BPs for the CCS sectors. Hopefully I can avoid the Chavezville tax by staying airside, as someone posted over on MR.
Old Jan 11, 11, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Hilton Gold, SPG lifetime Platinum, Maker's Mark Ambassador
Scheduled to leave China, connecting in EWR. What would you do?

What would you do?

I am currently in Shanghai, returning to Houston tomorrow. I am scheduled on CO 86 (PVG-EWR), then connecting to Houston, getting in about midnight, Thurs, Jan 13. I absolutely need to be in Houston on Friday, Jan 14. I am traveling business class.

What are the chances that snow will impact my travel at EWR? Should I keep this flight or look for alternatives? I spoke to the presidential platinum agent by phone, and they said to hang tight for a bit.

I have client meetings in Shanghai until mid-afternoon tomorrow, so I can’t leave here until around 5pm or later (meaning the 1.45 pm UA flight to SFO is out of the question). This means my options are:

1- Stay with the current flight. CO86 to EWR, then to IAH.

2- Switch to UA836 connecting in ORD. This is on a 777, and has, as best as I can tell, older non-lay flat seats, and no power at the seat. Not ideal from a comfort perspective, but should be out of any weather related issues. Likely that CO would transfer this ticket to UA.

3- Switch to AC26 (connecting in YVR, and then another stop in either Calgary, Denver, or Phoenix). The AC flight is great… but not a fan of the extra stops… and as a minor point, this doesn’t qualify as spending towards presidential platinum (not that it really matters). Not sure if CO will transfer this ticket to AC due to potential weather.

4- Switch to AA288 (connecting in ORD). I know nothing about AA long haul. Unlikely that CO would easily transfer this ticket to AA, but I might have some flexibility since I am a business class ticket.

What would you do?
Old Jan 11, 11, 9:42 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by paule123 View Post
According to the local Cleveland weather dude, the weather pattern miraculously changed in recent hours and CLE is only going to get about an inch overnight instead of the predicted ~10". Any word on DCA? From what I'm hearing DCA dodged the worst weather, so my flight Wed morning CLE-DCA should be ok?
Accuweather is still showing another 4-5" for CLE tonight... Still a piece of cake for CLE, last week I flew out of CLE and the tarmac was covered in 3-4 inches of snow with 1/4 visibility and yet everything continued as normal... I think your flight will be fine.

Originally Posted by Olton Hall View Post
They are expecting strong winds tomorrow which will cause delays by themselves. The fresh snow is likely to be blowing around in it since what is falling now is pretty dry and fluffy.
But if visibility is fine, it should be okay??? 40-50MPH wind gusts is pretty common, particularly at LAX.
Old Jan 11, 11, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by golfingboy View Post
But if visibility is fine, it should be okay??? 40-50MPH wind gusts is pretty common, particularly at LAX.
A 15 mph slight cross wind cause delays on a clear day at EWR. 40-50 would cause heavy delays. (only expecting 25 mph)
Old Jan 11, 11, 9:49 pm

IN EWR now...1 inch on the ground...looking good for the morning...CO hasn't canceled the 9am INTL bank...
Old Jan 11, 11, 9:51 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by Olton Hall View Post
A 15 mph slight cross wind cause delays on a clear day at EWR. 40-50 would cause heavy delays. (only expecting 25 mph)
Perhaps has something to do with the runaways being too close to each other thus reducing the # of departures/arrivals EWR can handle within a given hour?

What about LGA? I am flying there on Thursday AM...
Old Jan 11, 11, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by golfingboy View Post
Perhaps has something to do with the runaways being too close to each other thus reducing the # of departures/arrivals EWR can handle within a given hour?

What about LGA? I am flying there on Thursday AM...
That is the reason for EWR. Don't know about LGA and winds but things should be fine for Thursday provided the aircraft are in position to make the flight there.
Old Jan 12, 11, 6:01 am

Programs: UA PLT, Marriott PLT
bout 8 inches in ewr. if your flight hasnt been cancelled for this afternoon evening already, there is a fair chance it will go.
Old Jan 12, 11, 6:42 am

Personally I think CO got too cancel-happy...

Here's what EWR looks like now...

Everything looks good and CO did plan a contingency...spoke to my EWR Operations buddies...they want to get everything going by Noon and there's supposed to be light snow in a while but its all clear skies here!

Off to Curacao!

oh and WeatherBoy...Your so called Snomaggedon Doom and Gloom Forecast is wrong...Just like any WeatherMan or WeatherBoy...always getting it wrong

Last edited by usa18dca; Jan 12, 11 at 6:50 am
Old Jan 12, 11, 6:52 am

Programs: CO Plat, UA 1P, AA Plat (status matched)
Originally Posted by usa18dca View Post
CO is like baseball. They don't play in rain, snow or any incremental weather. CO's policy is to cancel and protect their operation/cost first rather than try their best to get the customers to the destinations first.
Old Jan 12, 11, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
The storm moved faster than expected, according to today show Central Park got a little over 8 inches, I am a few miles north of EWR and our total was 12.5
On my way to the office I saw what looked like a 737 making a turn for final approach into EWR.
Old Jan 12, 11, 8:08 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Rewards - LTPP

Everything looks good and CO did plan a contingency...spoke to my EWR Operations buddies...they want to get everything going by Noon and there's supposed to be light snow in a while but its all clear skies here!

Off to Curacao!
I clicked on the first photo before realizing it was from you. I saw Curacao as one of the few flights going and thought to myself, "hmm, usa18dca's flight is one of the few getting out". You must have some friends in high places

I then realized that CO only flies there twice a week so they have an incentive to get the flight out. Enjoy Curacao, I'm heading there in April!
Old Jan 12, 11, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Looking at flightaware.com right now, 11:30a EST, the only passengers flights that have taken off or landed this morning from EWR are CO and AC. Please draw your own conclusions.

Last edited by rkkwan; Jan 12, 11 at 11:19 am
Old Jan 12, 11, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat

Weird. UA446 was canceled! 443 too. And 7545. How could that be?
Old Jan 12, 11, 10:44 am

Programs: UA*S/Club, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by sweetkiddddo View Post
CO is like baseball. They don't play in rain, snow or any incremental weather. CO's policy is to cancel and protect their operation/cost first rather than try their best to get the customers to the destinations first.
Yes, CO is making a killing by cancelling flights And of course, losers whine about "their best." Winners on the other hand...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: