Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
A word of caution on [14-Feb-2011] Flights

Looks like employees may be getting ready to cause trouble.:

http://www.airlinecrew.net/vbulletin...d.php?t=225607
Old Jan 8, 2011, 11:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That would be an interesting decision considering that they actually got a contract just a couple days ago. Subject to ratification, of course, but they have one that the union leadership seems to think is reasonable.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 11:31 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
That would be an interesting decision considering that they actually got a contract just a couple days ago. Subject to ratification, of course, but they have one that the union leadership seems to think is reasonable.
Union leadership thought the last contract was acceptable and it was voted down so I don't really see your point.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by gawhite411
Union leadership thought the last contract was acceptable and it was voted down so I don't really see your point.
I would assume that they think the new one is better if they are willing to take it back to the union members. Do you think they decided to take a worse contract back just to waste time?
Old Jan 8, 2011, 11:55 am

I would assume that they think the new one is better if they are willing to take it back to the union members. Do you think they decided to take a worse contract back just to waste time?
Not to offend anyone but...whoever here is in any position to think what a contract is fair if they are not the recipients of said contract...only the employees have a real say in this matter, all we can do is speculate or hem and haw without a stake in this fight...

This thread isn't about the contract but the possibility of a work action affecting our flights.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by usa18dca
Not to offend anyone but...whoever here is in any position to think what a contract is fair if they are not the recipients of said contract.
I have no idea if it is fair or not; I have not seen any of the details of it and I really do not care to since, as you note, it isn't my contract. My point is simply that the union leadership took one version back to their members and it was rejected. If the same leadership took a second contract that they felt was worse back to their members then they wouldn't be very good union leadership, right? Hence my assumption that the union leadership believes this is a better deal for their members and that it might actually be ratified.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
My point is simply that the union leadership took one version back to their members and it was rejected. If the same leadership took a second contract that they felt was worse back to their members then they wouldn't be very good union leadership, right? Hence my assumption that the union leadership believes this is a better deal for their members and that it might actually be ratified.
Or maybe it's better but still not good enough.

I don't understand what your point is. Unless the employees go for it, it's not a done deal.

The union represents and negotiates, but they don't have the final say.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 12:04 pm

I have no idea if it is fair or not; I have not seen any of the details of it and I really do not care to since, as you note, it isn't my contract. My point is simply that the union leadership took one version back to their members and it was rejected. If the same leadership took a second contract that they felt was worse back to their members then they wouldn't be very good union leadership, right? Hence my assumption that the union leadership believes this is a better deal for their members and that it might actually be ratified.
I absolutely agree with you SBM, having served on the AFA Union we never got anything we really wanted from the company or did we stand on middle ground. Which is why the InFlight group at CO is frustrated because they did not get profit-sharing amidst other issues.

Union Leadership cannot get their agenda passed without the membership involved, and the membership is not liking this one.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by channa
I don't understand what your point is. Unless the employees go for it, it's not a done deal.
Didn't I say that in my initial reply??
Old Jan 8, 2011, 2:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by channa
Or maybe it's better but still not good enough.

The union represents and negotiates, but they don't have the final say.
EXACTLY.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 2:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Didn't I say that in my initial reply??
Be realistic. You tried to dismiss this thread and create the impression that there is no reason to worry. You wrote a reply that implies you believe that ratification is likely.

This is a potentially serious issue for CO flyers. People should be aware of it and making contingency plans.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 2:21 pm

This is a potentially serious issue for CO flyers. People should be aware of it and making contingency plans.
^ I'm on DL that day so...
Old Jan 8, 2011, 2:54 pm

Be realistic. You tried to dismiss this thread and create the impression that there is no reason to worry.
I did nothing of the sort. I simply provided more details to help fill in the details rather than just incite panic with partial information. Isn't more information better than less?
You wrote a reply that implies you believe that ratification is likely.
I believe there is a chance for such, yes. How is that dismissive?
I actually might be affected by this given the date. I'm glad that you've shared the potential for this and I'm also glad that I know more than just that the unfounded rumor exists.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 3:51 am

Programs: UA 1k & MillM
Looks like employees may be getting ready to cause trouble.:

http://www.airlinecrew.net/vbulletin...d.php?t=225607
My reading if various threads in that forum, is that there will NOT be a 2/14 sickout, eventhough another NO vote is not unlikely. The vast majority of posters (over there) are against the revised tentative agreement.

It is actually an interesting forum to browse around in. I saw a few crazy posts IMO that were left uncontested. Their forum could benefit from having a sbm12-kind-of-guy to keep things in perspective.

Their 'love' for Smisek is really flowing. All those praising words following the announcement of "Aviation Week's Person of the Year".
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:10 am

The stupidest thing an airline employee group can do is employ a sick out. You will end up in court and the fine will bankrupt the union. American pilots proved that nicely over ten years ago. Airline employees are subject to the Railway Labor Act and judicial interpretations. Lately judges have been kind of enough to tell me that if I chose not to work on my day off I am committing an illegal work action. Bottom line I wouldn't read too much into a internet employee forum which tend to get the vocal (but chicken) 5%. The airline will slug on as normal this Valentines Day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.