Wiki Posts
Search

UA Codeshare on CO Metal - Upgrade Chances

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2011, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold, HH Dia, Hertz #1 5*
UA Codeshare on CO Metal - Upgrade Chances

I am CO Platinum, therefore *A Gold. Want to fly to Vegas late Feb. I have a free ticket voucher from UA. Checked the UA website and they show most EWR-LAS flights with UA flight numbers operated by CO.

If its a UA flight number, how am I considered in terms of upgradability? Am I *A Gold, CO Platinum, lower than whale dung? Since its a UA voucher ultimately it is what it is. I guess I'm asking would I be better off on a UA codeshare of CO metal as CO Platinum or am I better off on UA metal lets say through IAD or ORD as *A Gold?
Old Jan 7, 2011, 7:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

1) I am pretty sure that most UA vouchers will not work on CO metal.

2) If you are on CO metal then your CO status is what matters, assuming you have that number in your reservation. CO doesn't care what code it is booked as, only what you are in CO's eyes when on the CO side of the ticket.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold, HH Dia, Hertz #1 5*
Originally Posted by sbm12
1) I am pretty sure that most UA vouchers will not work on CO metal.
Even if its a UA flight number? The UA website lists the EWR-LAS nonstops with UA flight numbers but as operated by CO. Am I wrong in assuming its the flight number, not the livery? Or is the livery the determining factor?
Old Jan 7, 2011, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by JerseySlime
Even if its a UA flight number? The UA website lists the EWR-LAS nonstops with UA flight numbers but as operated by CO. Am I wrong in assuming its the flight number, not the livery? Or is the livery the determining factor?
It's based on the operating carrier but when you book a codeshare ticket UA1234 operated by Continental 5678, it will show you on CO5678 and put you on the EUA List at your respective status level.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JerseySlime
For the UA vouchers it is the metal in most cases that matters, not the code.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:37 pm

Programs: Lm silver / MileagePlus / Aadvantage / Amex platinum / stargold points silver
Great chances for upgrade.

I purchase on continental.com a ticket where flights were operated for united, I pay with a voucher that continental gave me a few months ago, and it did let me pay and I was also upgraded 1 leg, my surprise is when i went to the gate for the flight I wasnt upgraded by system I was the first one on the list as Platinum Elite on Continental on a United flight.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by sbm12
For the UA vouchers it is the metal in most cases that matters, not the code.
For UA vouchers it's both that matter. Must be UA metal and UA code.

Originally Posted by miranda.mario
I purchase on continental.com a ticket where flights were operated for united, I pay with a voucher that continental gave me a few months ago, and it did let me pay and I was also upgraded 1 leg, my surprise is when i went to the gate for the flight I wasnt upgraded by system I was the first one on the list as Platinum Elite on Continental on a United flight.
But that's a CO voucher on UA metal (which is permitted). UA voucher on CO metal is not permitted.

UA has historically been very protectionist when it comes to vouchers -- must fly UA metal, UA code.

CO historically didn't care for most vouchers.

This is one of those differences that hasn't been ironed out yet. Obviously allowing codeshares would be better. But if that COmes at the COst of being less generous vouchers (a la CO), I'd prefer the more restrictive policy, especially since the airline will be larger and there will lost of options to choose from.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.