Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible to use miles for half a flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2011, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Possible to use miles for half a flight?

We have ~ 150k miles and rather than booking 2 round trip europe tickets (MIA->LHR) and buying one outright, were wondering if we can use 52.5k miles for 3 first-class outgoing tickets, then pay the return flight.

Is that possible to do? (Using miles for outgoing - paying for the return)

Last edited by aphex; Jan 3, 2011 at 2:42 pm
Old Jan 3, 2011, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
Currently CO does not offer one-way awards so I don't believe what you're asking for is possible.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mackieman
Currently CO does not offer one-way awards so I don't believe what you're asking for is possible.
So even if its not a one-way flight, they would consider using an award for half as a one way? (I'm on hold with Onepass right now)

It's our first time booking reward travel
Old Jan 3, 2011, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by aphex
So even if its not a one-way flight, they would consider using an award for half as a one way? (I'm on hold with Onepass right now)

It's our first time booking reward travel
OnePass does not offer that option however one way tickets for international are a rip-off compared to roundtrip tickets.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA PPro/ 1MM+, Marriott LT Plat
AA allows you to book one way awards but I would think the one way return flight cost would be almost as much as the roundtrip so in effect you'd just be wasting miles for the most part
Old Jan 3, 2011, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by usa18dca
OnePass does not offer that option however one way tickets for international are a rip-off compared to roundtrip tickets.
Yikes, i just searched and I see what you mean. The one way flight is $100 less than Roundtrip

Oh well, thanks for the quick replies!

MIA to LHR is showing a direct flight on Virgin, but i've heard some pretty bad things about Virgin economy so we figured that maybe we would upgrade our flight out to first, then just take economy back on our own dime. Too bad they don't offer a premium economy w/ Virgin.

That being said, 90% our miles are with Amex, so we technically could move them to any airline so I'll look elsewhere as well. Thx again for the help!
Old Jan 3, 2011, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by geepmaley
AA allows you to book one way awards but I would think the one way return flight cost would be almost as much as the roundtrip so in effect you'd just be wasting miles for the most part
Yep, i'm seeing the same thing when i do one way on continental.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Based on the thread title, I thought that the OP was going to bail out with a parachute mid-flight.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

aphex, if you do find a FFP that accepts your Amex MR points and offers one-way redemptions, I would take a look at http://www.skyauction.com where you can occasionally find auctions for one-way tickets between the U.S. and Europe. If you decide to bid, make sure you take into account all of the (disclosed) taxes and fees before deciding on your maximum bid.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976

Based on the thread title, I thought that the OP was going to bail out with a parachute mid-flight.
lol
Old Jan 3, 2011, 4:56 pm

Programs: AAEXP, BASlv, UAGold, Hyatt Diam, IHG Plt, SPG Plt, HH Diam, MR Plat, CC Gold, Nat ExecElite
That being said, 90% our miles are with Amex, so we technically could move them to any airline so I'll look elsewhere as well. Thx again for the help!
If your points are with AMEX, depending on how many you have, a better option may be to open up (if you don't have one already) and transfer your miles to ANA's frequent flier program, where you can redeem miles on Star Alliance partners and/or Virgin Atlantic (as well as other partners). Since ANA's partner awards are all distance based, a MIA-LHR roundtrip (4437 miles each way) on Virgin Atlantic booked with ANA miles would only cost 68,000 miles (i.e. 68,000 AMEX points) in business class (which would also equate to Virgin's Upper Class). And if you redeem on Virgin Atlantic, they also don't charge the fuel surcharges and other fees that Virgin would charge if you redeemed the points for and booked the trip using Virgin miles (same Upper Class itinerary on Virgin would cost 100,000 miles or 100,000 AMEX points). See links below for ANA's partner airline award chart as well as Flyertalk thread explaining tax and fee differences.

http://www.ana.co.jp/eng/amc/referen...ikeiair_1.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-n...-tax-fuel.html
Old Jan 3, 2011, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KevinInRI
If your points are with AMEX, depending on how many you have, a better option may be to open up (if you don't have one already) and transfer your miles to ANA's frequent flier program, where you can redeem miles on Star Alliance partners and/or Virgin Atlantic (as well as other partners). Since ANA's partner awards are all distance based, a MIA-LHR roundtrip (4437 miles each way) on Virgin Atlantic booked with ANA miles would only cost 68,000 miles (i.e. 68,000 AMEX points) in business class (which would also equate to Virgin's Upper Class). And if you redeem on Virgin Atlantic, they also don't charge the fuel surcharges and other fees that Virgin would charge if you redeemed the points for and booked the trip using Virgin miles (same Upper Class itinerary on Virgin would cost 100,000 miles or 100,000 AMEX points). See links below for ANA's partner airline award chart as well as Flyertalk thread explaining tax and fee differences.

http://www.ana.co.jp/eng/amc/referen...ikeiair_1.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-n...-tax-fuel.html

Hmmmm, very interesting. Just searching the site though I see no option to fly from MIA --> LHR, is that only available when searching reward flights once a member of ANA's frequent flier program?
Old Jan 3, 2011, 6:25 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Hmmmm, very interesting. Just searching the site though I see no option to fly from MIA --> LHR, is that only available when searching reward flights once a member of ANA's frequent flier program?
You do have to become a member of their program (free to join). After that, Search for these words on FT: ANA Workaround.
(because ANA allows full search functionality on its website for its members who have miles with their program).

If you cant find it, basically here is what you do:
Search for some random mileage award route on ANA: e.g, ORD-NRT;
Then, on the results page, click on "search partner airlines". Then repeat the search for your route.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Good to know, thanks! I'll give it a try.

One additional question specific to continental - As the account holder, does one of the tickets have to be in my name? For example, can I book two reward tickets for my wife and mother with my onepass account, then just book myself a paid flight.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Good to know, thanks! I'll give it a try.

One additional question specific to continental - As the account holder, does one of the tickets have to be in my name? For example, can I book two reward tickets for my wife and mother with my onepass account, then just book myself a paid flight.
Well, you asked two differing questions, but here goes:

No (tickets need not be in your name)
Yes (you can book your wife and mother with your miles)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.