Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

new US policy - no reciprocal upgrades for CO Gold ??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

new US policy - no reciprocal upgrades for CO Gold ??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.975 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Counter agent and two GAs at RDU tonight said US no longer offers comp reciprocal upgrades to *A members (specifically Gold, but I sure got the impression that it was "all") ... not really a big deal since they gave me 5F on the 27-min flight to CLT and 4F for the 1+15 to BWI, but definitely not a good omen even though CO will match my DL Platinum for 2011
Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
been that way for some time. There are several threads discussing it.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:12 pm

Programs: US CP, CO PE, Avis First, National EE
No Longer = they never did offer this as a benefit. If you were upgraded in the past, you got very lucky.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I've never heard of any benefit that would allow a * Gold to be given a reciprocal upgrade on a partner airline.. UA used to offer E+ access to * Gold members, but that was a long time ago..
Old Dec 29, 2010, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by DCAMatt
No Longer = they never did offer this as a benefit. If you were upgraded in the past, you got very lucky.
If you wore a really nice sweater it was possible to be added to the list after all US elites.

It requires finding the right agent, a bit of luck, and banking on the fact that no one in their right mind actually purchases F on US and most VFF's have moved on to real airlines.

If they updated their system to no longer allow this I'm not surprised. It was a great little-known benefit while it lasted.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 5:46 am

Programs: UA 1K/COPlat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Platinum
I've had good luck with US upgrades...put on a happy face and give it a shot. Has worked for me about a dozen times this year out of about 2 dozen flights.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA Prem, DL Plat, CO Plat, Torrid Diva,Rascal House (free cookies!), TWA Ambassador 183506503
as a co plat...

I got an op-up on US once but only because I complained incessantly. You could say that US is the evil stepchild of the Star Alliance
Old Dec 29, 2010, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rggale
I've had good luck with US upgrades...put on a happy face and give it a shot. Has worked for me about a dozen times this year out of about 2 dozen flights.
Ditto here - always upgraded on US at the airport, always offered whatever Y seat I wanted without fee over the phone as a CO Platinum *A Gold. And even upgraded companions.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K/COPlat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Platinum
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9650/5.0.0.975 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by alison11
I got an op-up on US once but only because I complained incessantly. You could say that US is the evil stepchild of the Star Alliance
Or the "Ugly Girl"...that happens to have a beautiful new A320 that I flew on the other day. The updated A320 PSU is nice.

Can't believe I just complimented Airbus :td
Old Dec 29, 2010, 4:34 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9650/5.0.0.975 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Blackberry triple-post sorry

Last edited by rggale; Dec 29, 2010 at 4:45 pm
Old Dec 29, 2010, 4:44 pm

Blackberry triple-post sorry

Last edited by rggale; Dec 29, 2010 at 4:46 pm
Old Dec 29, 2010, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by DCAMatt
That's my experience as a UA Star Gold also. Never got an upgrade on US. Never got a choice seat and never got an exit row seat either.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by alison11
You could say that US is the evil stepchild of the Star Alliance

I just flew on one of their brand new A321s, which had Internet (not found on a single CO plane), pillows in F (not found on CO domestically), and free specialty drinks in F (also not found on CO domestically), and they had a cappuccino machine in their club (not found in CO clubs).

My return was IRROPed by some snow in CLT, and they rebooked me without hesitation on an alternate route (something I'd always have to fight for with CO).

If US is the evil stepchild, what does that make CO? The evil stepchild's turd?
Old Dec 29, 2010, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I didn't get upgraded on LAX-LAS as a CO Gold on US, flying earlier this year. I have occasionally gotten bulkhead without status, though, which on an A32X is almost as nice in terms of legroom.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 6:26 am

This isn't new policy...there has never been a policy in place...what people had was nice agents who went beyond their scope.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.