My First Pres Platinum Experiences

Old Jan 18, 2011, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K x6yrs, Ex-AAExecPlat, Delta 360, Mariott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AMEX Centurion, Avis First
Originally Posted by sbm12
I'd love to see some documented examples of this.
I gave at least three examples of this in the "Should we be concerned..." thread ... Two (of many) for me personally and one for my contractor ... In each circumstance you lept to CO's defence and had a valid explanation as to why we got bypassed - to paraphrase "why shouldn't CO be allowed to sell ToD upgrades and manage their F inventory as they see fit" ... while each of your explanations was rooted in the T&C's and technically valid, they never address the simple fact that CO created an expectation for me and many many many others around upgrades and didn't deliver using every trick in the book ... With so many sophisticated travellers feeling duped, I don't think this is a matter of one person being unfamiliar with the program ... I feel that the program is intentionally deceptively marketed and advertised ... yes, the weasel words in the T&Cs support your analysis/statements (and I[m impressed with your mastery of the staggering nuance and complexity in these systems), but CO's active and covert manipulation of the EUA/ToD/fare class buckets has undermined my loyalty and created distrust ... I am spending my dollars elsewhere wherever possible

Last edited by circitmage; Jan 18, 2011 at 3:36 pm Reason: formatting
Old Jan 18, 2011, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Hilton Gold, SPG lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Maker's Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by channa
And like most things CO, this policy works perfectly fine for the vast majority of situations. The problem is the exceptions, or anything out the ordinary, which many of us high-volume flyers will encounter from time to time. This is where CO tends to fall flat on their face because they're unable to quickly react or adapt, or use logic to bend the rules, which results in the customer being put in a suboptimal position.

Most other carriers will work with you so long as they can find a reasonable justification.
I think this is the heart of the issue. When this happened, I was angry, disappointed and frustrated. I have a vested interest in seeing CO succeed, because I spent a lot of time and money with them. A better product/process benefits me. Since I am based in Houston, for the most part CO has me captive based on direct flights and schedule.

But overseas is a different ball game. Other carriers have better products (AC, SQ, NH), and the direct-flight advantage, at least to Asia, disappears. If I need to make a stop, it matters less to me where it is - YVR, SFO, ORD, EWR.

I didn't want to complain, and turn this into a trip report. But I felt angry and deceived based on how CO handled me and my needs in this instance. Months earlier, they were congratulating me for being one of their best customers (?), promised superior service and benefits. And then when I needed it, disappeared.

What I wanted, and why I asked the questions at the end of my post, is confirmation from other frequent travelers that I wasn't overreacting... that my frustration/disappointment was justified, and not an emotional reaction, but a rational one. That it was 'reasonable', in these circumstances (weather in EWR, traveling business class, being a presidential platinum customer, and having space available on other flights) to expect accommodation on a rerouting to get me to my final destination.

I am still angry. And when it comes time in a few weeks to book another trip to Asia, I'll remember. I have half a mind to send back the presidential platinum card, and request a downgrade to regular platinum - at least my expectations will be aligned with the service. But maybe thats the emotional reaction.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by timg
I am still angry. And when it comes time in a few weeks to book another trip to Asia, I'll remember. I have half a mind to send back the presidential platinum card, and request a downgrade to regular platinum - at least my expectations will be aligned with the service. But maybe thats the emotional reaction.
Be sure to report back here what you book. You may not have a great alternative choice of reasonable options domestically (and thus default to CO understandably), but if I was treated in your fashion at your level of spend, no way I'd be booking the airline again internationally in the future.

While I know that when I book UA internationally in paid C (of course looking to upgrade to F with SWUs) it will fall short of Asian/European carriers' soft product, I know for a fact that even as a *lowly 1K* UA would bend over backwards for me in the case of IRROPS/weather.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.