Crazy high fares ewr-pit

Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 2 million lifetime Marriott Titanium LiCo Plat Hertz Plat spg plat former Co Chairmans Circle
Crazy high fares ewr-pit

what's going on with fares from EWR-PIT. I am trying to fly Dec 26th-28th and there is plenty of availibility but Continental is only selling B fares for over $1000 Since US pulled out of the market the fares have gotten really excessive. $1000 on Colgen is absolutely ridiculous..Flying BOS-PIT through EWR is only $200..what's going to happen when there is less competition?

It's cheaper to fly to the West Coast those days
Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:26 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Have you checked fares out of phl?
Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Does US still fly LGA-PIT? Could be an option.

BTW, sub in any 1,000 mile or less destination (MSP, ATL, ORD, etc.) and you get the same $1,000 price. Ridiculous.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Lack of a 3/Saturday night stay causes this. Where there is no competition CO charges what the market will bear, and apparently the market will bear quite high fares on some routes.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 2 million lifetime Marriott Titanium LiCo Plat Hertz Plat spg plat former Co Chairmans Circle
Thats not right and is really taking advantage of the flying public....what happens when there is less competition?
Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
another alternative would be JetBlue. under 300$ rt from JFK. CO is in the business of charging what they can for flights. But yes US is too flying there from LGA
Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

I have an alternative..thanks for the suggestions...my concern is the premise that we are getting taken advantage of $1000 is ludicrous.What happens as more carriers such as US AIR pull out...air fares will go through the roof
Old Dec 13, 2010, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA*S/Club, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by hvnflyer
I have an alternative..thanks for the suggestions...my concern is the premise that we are getting taken advantage of $1000 is ludicrous.What happens as more carriers such as US AIR pull out...air fares will go through the roof
It would appear that some people value flying out of Newark as worth double or triple the cost of flying out of JFK/LGA. Or CO gets a lot of connecting traffic on the flight and wants to keep it open for last minute bookings. And 1 $1000 passenger is usually cheaper to fly then 3 $333 passengers.

And generally speaking, a dominant airline leaving or downsidizing a hub is good for price competition at that airport.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by hvnflyer
Thats not right and is really taking advantage of the flying public....what happens when there is less competition?
What is "wrong" with it? If the public cannot afford the flights then they won't pay or they'll choose alternate options that are less expensive. You do not have a right to a $NNN fare on any particular route and the airlines aren't charities (though they often do have rather significant charitable efforts).

Fares go up when there is less competition and when a new entrant believes they can make money in a market they show up and often charge less than the legacy on the route. Check out the change in EWR-BOS when B6 shows up in the market. The cheapest one-way fare went from $415 to $49.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
For January with a Saturday night stay CLE-EWR is up to $530.00 for a direct flight. A few years ago you could get a $218:00 fare. They offer CLE-MKE-EWR for $191.00. Usually the connections have a higher fare.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
For January with a Saturday night stay CLE-EWR is up to $530.00 for a direct flight. A few years ago you could get a $218:00 fare. They offer CLE-MKE-EWR for $191.00. Usually the connections have a higher fare.
I ran a couple of January weekend dates and I see CO pricing out at $250 or lower CLE-LGA, the same price as AA CLE-JFK/LGA and DL CLE-JFK. CLE-EWR was pricing out about $100 more. Plenty of competition on the route, with CO charging a EWR premium. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 6:13 pm

Usually the connections have a higher fare.
Not at all. Business passengers pay a premium for non-stop service, not for connections. Remember that airfares are not directly tied to the distance traveled.

At the cheapest end of the fare spectrum CO has absolutely implemented restrictive rules that make only non-stops available for the cheapest rates, but they also severely control that inventory and have restrictions, like advance purchase or minimum/maximum stay, to further limit them.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Yes, I have had to do LGA most of the time as the fare is much lower. But I prefer EWR
as I am a PC member and the EWR clubs are much nicer then the one at LGA. Also LGA has limited mainline flights for any upgrade potential athough was i was upgraded on the morning flight to LGA everytime I take it. I used to go to EWR all the time from 2003-2008 and they had the weekend special was as low as $68.00 RT but they have not offered this in more then 3 years, only LGA.
Speaking of PIT was have drive there a few times lately to get great last minunte fares, much lower then out of CLE. The PIT airport is very nice too.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 6:40 pm

Yes, I have had to do LGA most of the time as the fare is much lower. But I prefer EWR
as I am a PC member and the EWR clubs are much nicer then the one at LGA. Also LGA has limited mainline flights for any upgrade potential athough was i was upgraded on the morning flight to LGA everytime I take it. I used to go to EWR all the time from 2003-2008 and they had the weekend special was as low as $68.00 RT but they have not offered this in more then 3 years, only LGA.
Speaking of PIT was have drive there a few times lately to get great last minunte fares, much lower then out of CLE. The PIT airport is very nice too.
That's understandable, but you seem to value the cash in your pocket over the nicer airport/airplane experience. Someone who doesn't mind paying more to fly CLE-EWR gets those benefits, but CO gets more cash. While this trend limits your abilities to maximize your elite benefits at minimal costs, let's not forget that, at their core, frequent flyer programs are all about revenue generation, no matter what they ads may say

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.