Beware the exploding mobile boarding pass

Old Dec 8, 2010, 5:04 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton: Gold, Starwood: Platinum, Hyatt: Platinum, AS: MVP Gold
Beware the exploding mobile boarding pass

I was flying EWR-PDX earlier this week. At some point between the time I entered the security line and showed my MBP verify elite status and me reaching the front of the security line (10-15 minutes), my upgrade cleared.

This caused my ticket to get out of synch. When I went to show the boarding pass to the TSA agent, it wouldn't come back up.

I called CO and while they synched the ticket, I still couldn't get the boarding pass back up. TSA insisted that I go back out and get a paper boarding pass. By this point, neither the mobile site or e-ticket machine would let me check in because it was too close to departure. Ended up having to race down to a staffed position to have them print one up for me.

If you find yourself in this position, call up electronic support and then use the original link to the boarding pass. (Versus trying to check in again.)

Or, just stick with paper until they work out these bugs. I almost missed my flight as a result.

(To any CO lurkers: if someone has already checked in, you should waive the 60 minute requirements on mobile check in.)

BTW, did they change the rules on President's Club card providing access to airside without a boarding pass? I remember at one point that was the case, but TSA refused to let me through with that.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 5:12 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by rocky

BTW, did they change the rules on President's Club card providing access to airside without a boarding pass? I remember at one point that was the case, but TSA refused to let me through with that.
WIth Pres clubs, you need to get a security pass from the check-in agents to clear TSA. Simply having the Pres Club card is not enough for TSA.

If the check-in agent does not know what you are talking about, ask them to check:
GG CHECKPOINT LINE 53

Therefore, yes, you can still get airside by using your PC membership.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 7:02 am

Programs: UA: MM
Originally Posted by snod08
WIth Pres clubs, you need to get a security pass from the check-in agents to clear TSA. Simply having the Pres Club card is not enough for TSA.

If the check-in agent does not know what you are talking about, ask them to check:
GG CHECKPOINT LINE 53

Therefore, yes, you can still get airside by using your PC membership.
That actually depends. At IAH Terminal C, TSA will SOMETIMES let you through with only the card and your photo ID. Also, SOMTIMES, the Red Coat will NOT issue a gate pass and tell you to go directly to the security line.

In Terminal E you ALWAYS need a gate pass.

I practice it is always best to get one, if the agent tries to send you through, tell them you already tried and the TSA wanted paper.

FWIW
DLM
Old Dec 8, 2010, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
Originally Posted by rocky
This caused my ticket to get out of synch. When I went to show the boarding pass to the TSA agent, it wouldn't come back up.

The new iPhone app lets you "Store" the boarding passes, and they do not blow up this way (unless you re-check in on the device).

The new iPhone app is actually pretty good overall, though it does have a few bugs (like sometimes showing the wrong travelor name on the reservation).
Old Dec 8, 2010, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Another iPhone tip: take a screenshot of your BP (by holding the Home button and pressing the standby button - you'll hear the camera's shutter sound and the screen will play an animation to signal the successful capture); then just go into the Photos app and bring up the screencap. Since the barcode will be recorded in the screencap at full-size, it should scan just fine.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 6:20 pm
cbg

Programs: UA 1k
I am a big believer in technology but have been making it a practice to print out a physical BP but then use the iphone app to see how the process actually works out. So far so good but I had to whip out my physical copy when the security scanner was freaked out. I think the system as a whole has a little maturing to do before I will put my faith in it.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 6:20 pm

I always save the page and save the image, works wonderfully.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Similar thing happened to me once. I was on a flight that returned to the gate, I left the secure area, and when I tried to reenter I could no longer access my MBP online. TSA did give me a "line jump" pass to use once I got a paper BP. The kiosks had already "shut down" for the night, and by this time the checkin line was completely packed with people trying to preemptively rebook missed connections. Almost thought I would miss my flight on its second try out.

This taught me to save the page as soon as I access it. Not a problem since then. But the tip to call the electronic desk is very helpful (didn't know they could do that) just in case I ever need to.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
I always save the page and save the image, works wonderfully.
an absolute must do!
Old Dec 8, 2010, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
I have never seen the mobile boarding passes work smoothly.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 7:53 pm

I'm still a little leary of those things.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold, HH.
I use my BB for mobile BP. I have a hard copy in the carry-on just in case.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by colpuck
I have never seen the mobile boarding passes work smoothly.
I've been using it almost every week for nearly three years now. I've had issues probably less than 5% of the time.

I have recently had this problem with last-minute upgrades getting my ticket out of sync. When that has happened, it's prevented me from being able to check in through any source. I've not had this problem until the last couple of months, but it has happened to me three times in recent weeks.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K/COPlat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Platinum
I have used MBP without fail 81 times this year...only had one problem with it BOS-EWR when I got a same day upgrade and couldn't reload the MBP on my blackberry due to res being out of sync. Called the elite desk, they couldn't get the BP to show up either, so I just ended up going to the counter.

With a 98%+ success rate, I am happy about the convenience and saving the earth, one boarding card at a time!
Old Dec 9, 2010, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, Gold everywhere else
I've also been using the pda boarding passes very successfully since they were first launched. And yes the page often breaks when you get the gate-upgrade. (I've had this happen several times over the last year or two). I always loaded up the page right after I checked in and left it open on my iPhone. Now that there is CO app, the page is cached on the phone so it becomes immune to the sync-breakage (though you will no longer be able to access the check-in option to reprint or change seats last minute).

Somewhat related, I hate the "feature" that you just have to shake the phone to refresh things in the CO app. On one occasion just as I'm about to scan the BP, the app interprets some phone movement as a shake and tries to reload (with a nice pop-up blocking the BP image). When you're in a spot with a bad signal it takes a while to give up and show you the BP image again...and this annoys TSA smurfs...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.