CO F upgrade = 2x miles

Old Dec 4, 10, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

CO F upgrade = 2x miles

Hi,

I'm sorry if I am posting in the wrong forum. It's my first time posting although I've read a bunch on these forums and it has really helped me, so thank you to you all!

A couple of months ago, I was flying EWR-SFO nonstop on CO, economy, and when I was checking in online the night before the flight, I was offered an upgrade to first class. There were two options: upgrade with miles or purchase an upgrade. The main difference was that if you upgraded with miles, you would receive the same mileage from the EWR-SFO flight as your original flight class, but if you bought it with money, you would then receive the new fareclass miles, or two times as much. I bought my upgrade with money.

When I received the miles, they were actually the old fare class miles! I called in to ask about this, and they said no such thing exists and that all their upgrades only get the original fare class miles, even though I am SURE I did not mis-see something because this was one of the main reasons I bought the upgrade (the price was really cheap).

Is anyone aware of this issue or know a place that lists this rule? I tried finding it online but was unsuccessful.

Thanks very much in advance!
Old Dec 4, 10, 6:41 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by teammelli8080 View Post
Hi,

I'm sorry if I am posting in the wrong forum. It's my first time posting although I've read a bunch on these forums and it has really helped me, so thank you to you all!

A couple of months ago, I was flying EWR-SFO nonstop on CO, economy, and when I was checking in online the night before the flight, I was offered an upgrade to first class. There were two options: upgrade with miles or purchase an upgrade. The main difference was that if you upgraded with miles, you would receive the same mileage from the EWR-SFO flight as your original flight class, but if you bought it with money, you would then receive the new fareclass miles, or two times as much. I bought my upgrade with money.

When I received the miles, they were actually the old fare class miles! I called in to ask about this, and they said no such thing exists and that all their upgrades only get the original fare class miles, even though I am SURE I did not mis-see something because this was one of the main reasons I bought the upgrade (the price was really cheap).

Is anyone aware of this issue or know a place that lists this rule? I tried finding it online but was unsuccessful.

Thanks very much in advance!
It would be nice for us to know what kind of money you paid for this upgrade and what was your original fare class.

At any rate, the up-sell upgrade usually earns the mileage of the original fare class purchased.
Old Dec 4, 10, 6:42 pm

Welcome to FT!
Old Dec 4, 10, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
When I received the miles, they were actually the old fare class miles!
Welcome to FT.

It depends on which fare class you actually bought-up into. If you're a Platinum Elite there is a chance you bought-up into an M fare which doesn't earn "extra" miles.

You might have also been confused by another promo they run when you check-in to buy extra miles for your trip, which is not bundled-in to the buy-up to F offer.
Old Dec 6, 10, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies!

My original fareclass was Y and I upgraded to F for ~$125. This made good sense for me as (1) baggage would be free, so I'd be paying $25 in economy anyways, (2) it was a transcontinental flight and (3) I'm relatively tall and have difficulty with flights period, much less on 6 hour nonstop ones!

I am positive that it was none of the things you mentioned. In fact, I was going to take a screenshot of it but imagined that they wouldn't deny something that is so plainly stated. Oh well, maybe my eyes need a checkup.
Old Dec 6, 10, 6:01 am

Thank you for your replies!

My original fareclass was Y and I upgraded to F for ~$125. This made good sense for me as (1) baggage would be free, so I'd be paying $25 in economy anyways, (2) it was a transcontinental flight and (3) I'm relatively tall and have difficulty with flights period, much less on 6 hour nonstop ones!

I am positive that it was none of the things you mentioned. In fact, I was going to take a screenshot of it but imagined that they wouldn't deny something that is so plainly stated. Oh well, maybe my eyes need a checkup.
Do you think you saw the "Elite Maximizer" screen? Which offers to sell you double miles and triple miles, etc.??

I think if you pay full Y fare, you wont pay the baggage fees.
Old Dec 6, 10, 6:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, PC AMB, Hyat Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold
The OP is correct, I've seen this myself when buying up. The fare classes concerned were both at 100%, so made no difference to me.
Old Dec 6, 10, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
You get 50% bonus EQM with both a Y fare and any F fare.

You get 50% bonus redeemable miles with the F fares.
Old Dec 6, 10, 8:30 am

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
did you actually have a Y class ticket or do you use the term Y to indicate coach; Y class is a full fare coach and for roundtrip transcontinental that could spell over 3,000.
When you say F class is that a full fare First class or you are using F as a term for First class?
Do you have any elite status with CO?

There are several ways of upgrading with money to first class;
you can buy up to a higher fare in coach and then get upgraded.
You can actually buy directly into a first class fare.
The amount of miles you get in each case many vary.

But I think that if you actually buy into a first class fare (any first class fare) and you pay with money (not miles/co-pay) then you should definitely get the miles that come with the first class fare.
If you kept good documentation of the entire purchase process and boarding passes, I would mail it in to CO onepass.
Old Dec 6, 10, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My original fareclass was Y and I upgraded to F for ~$125.
This is most definitely incorrect. The Y fare on this route is $2600 r/t. You can buy a first class D fare for less.

Search this Thread