Is Star Alliance Gold/Gold Elite Worth It

Old Dec 3, 2010, 9:16 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by ani90
Club membership does not equate to star gold. PC membership does not allow you entry into many lounges worldwide - I have both PC membership and star gold and outside the USA find myself using my star gold card far far more than the internationallly worthless PC card.
Right! Don't forget that elite status comes with RDM bonus and other benefits.

LAX
Old Dec 4, 2010, 3:52 am

Programs: OnePass Platinum, *G, Amex Plat, Priority Pass Prestige, Costa Coffee Loyalty Card
If you want lounge access, far more cost efficient to buy a Priority Pass membership. I have one and find it extremely useful internationally. Doesn't always get you the very best clubs, but certainly gives you access to good clubs in pretty much every city. Plus, gives you access on domestic itineraries (whereas *G only gives you access on int'l itineraries).
Old Dec 4, 2010, 4:57 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by ani90
Club membership does not equate to star gold. PC membership does not allow you entry into many lounges worldwide - I have both PC membership and star gold and outside the USA find myself using my star gold card far far more than the internationallly worthless PC card.
Yup and thank you ani90 for accurately articulating this situation. Paid lounge cards are basically worthless overseas, despite what the Star Alliance rules say. The concept of a paid lounge membership is not understood by the vast majority of the lounge dragons of member *A airlines. What they are looking for is a piece of plastic which says *G on it.

What the US based *A carriers really need to do is print something like Lounge *G on their club membership cards.

SunLover
Old Dec 4, 2010, 10:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Sonesta Elite, IHG Platinum, Frontier 100K
The thing is, lounge membership does not get you into all of the member airline *Gold lounges. LH is one of the best examples, as *Gold uses the Senator lounge while the club membership only gains access to the business lounge.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 11:50 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by MelesMeles
If you want lounge access, far more cost efficient to buy a Priority Pass membership. I have one and find it extremely useful internationally. Doesn't always get you the very best clubs, but certainly gives you access to good clubs in pretty much every city. Plus, gives you access on domestic itineraries (whereas *G only gives you access on int'l itineraries).
Minor correction. Only US-based *Gs have the restriction on lounge access travel on domestic itineraries. Even then, it's only applicable to lounges operated by US-based carriers (ie: SQ lounge at SFO & LH lounge at IAD & DTW are accessible by US-based *Gs on domestic itineraries).

LAX
Old Dec 4, 2010, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA - EXP, Marriott - Sil, SPG-Gold
Originally Posted by mowogo
The thing is, lounge membership does not get you into all of the member airline *Gold lounges. LH is one of the best examples, as *Gold uses the Senator lounge while the club membership only gains access to the business lounge.
This has been very interesting. I have booked the MRs based on my international travel. The mileage bonuses will be a great benefit as I tend to use miles to book international business/first class rewards. For instance, I am going to SA in business class and returning in F. That ticket would be $7-8K and although I would never pay for that ticket, I do get to enjoy the benefit of that seat so having the miles allows me to create an reality for myself (international business class travel) that would other wise be impossible. I am tall and wide. The seats make a difference to me .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.