Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Secret Compartment on 772 ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2010, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hughw
Actually, the really coolest was the crew rest on the A380 we saw at SMD2. It's midship, and down a ship's ladder from the lower passenger level. Someone may correct me, but as I recall there were a total of 8 bunks, 4 upper and 4 lower, very much like you might find in a ship's cabin. And one of them was decorated beautifully with Melinda trying it out.
I actually think it is 12 bunks with 6 up and 6 below but I might be wrong. I've still got my video of that but it was so dark downstairs I don't think that part came out very well. I was in one of the bunks as well...

I'm not convinced that it is more comfortable than the overheads; they are pretty short for beds.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 7:55 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
[QUOTE=Harry IAH;15356169]It's CO's version of the mile-high club.QUOTE]

You think you'e joking. The Air France ones are placarded "only one person may occupy a bunk at any time."
Old Dec 1, 2010, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by sbm12
I actually think it is 12 bunks with 6 up and 6 below but I might be wrong. I've still got my video of that but it was so dark downstairs I don't think that part came out very well. I was in one of the bunks as well...

I'm not convinced that it is more comfortable than the overheads; they are pretty short for beds.
You don't make it look like that bunk was any more comfortable than the average 31" pitch economy seat.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Didn't realize the plane in the movie was supposed to be an A380 though.
It wasn't -- just a fictional jumbo that Jodie Foster's character had coincidentally helped design, which is how she knew her way around so well.

The "secret" / off-limits areas depicted in the movie were bigger than I think they could possibly be on a real plane, presumably for cinematic reasons.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by sbm12

I think you're right. there were 12. Here's another couple of pics including one with the lovely Melinda looking very comfortable.

Old Dec 1, 2010, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat
I think you're right. there were 12. Here's another couple of pics including one with the lovely Melinda looking very comfortable.

... Wow ... That's bigger than my bed at home ... And it's got a girl in it ! ...
Old Dec 1, 2010, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Actually, the really coolest was the crew rest on the A380 we saw at SMD2. It's midship, and down a ship's ladder from the lower passenger level. Someone may correct me, but as I recall there were a total of 8 bunks, 4 upper and 4 lower, very much like you might find in a ship's cabin. And one of them was decorated beautifully with Melinda trying it out.
Looking at sbm12's pictures, I see exactly what you mean, saying it look's like a ship's cabin. And those crew rests look roomy. I don't feel a 772 could get the same feel
Old Dec 1, 2010, 8:17 pm

Location: Lat. N41., Long. W-75, in the NJ foothills of the Poconos
Programs: Ex-Con Million Miler, UA MM, CO Plat dozen, Onepass member since 1988
Arrow Totally lie-flat. 100%.

Several of us got to go up into the crew rest bunks in a CO 772 parked at EWR during one of our Mini-DO's. I think there were 8. No chairs. Can't stand up there, either, unless your feet are halfway down the steep steps/ladder. I'd LOVE to book my next HKG flight in one of these! Alas, crew only. Boo.

Thank you XYZZY.

B7
Old Dec 1, 2010, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Those bunks are bigger than a room at the Palmer House.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 4:19 am

Programs: OnePass
Originally Posted by star_world
Actually they are, just like the rest of us. If crew rest is required based on the segment length, that number of seats will be blocked out from inventory.

It's for this reason that 21DEF on the 752 are never available for selection until approx. 2 days before a flight.
Row 21 is an Extra Legroom Row and may be blocked for Elites, but NEVER for crew rest. CO will not forego passenger revenue unless contractually obligated.

Last edited by guaCOmole; Dec 2, 2010 at 4:25 am
Old Dec 2, 2010, 6:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by guaCOmole
Row 21 is an Extra Legroom Row and may be blocked for Elites, but NEVER for crew rest. CO will not forego passenger revenue unless contractually obligated.
It's certainly not available for elites to select until almost exactly 48 hours before the flight. Prior to then it shows as occupied, not the way it shows bulkhead rows ("may be made available at checkin", etc)

I've seen it confirmed plenty of times here that it is in fact kept for crew rest but then released on virtually every flight as it is not needed. The blocked / available process I described above has happened on every single 752 transatlantic flight I've taken on CO.

Until very recently exit rows were not a source of revenue for CO.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 7:57 am

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
Originally Posted by belynch
Those bunks are bigger than a room at the Palmer House.
You must not have had the same room I did when I PLed a stay there back in 2001. Massive space, postage stamp TV.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Not true at all. On 752 flights that require crew rest seats, those seats are never available to customers. They do reserve ELR seats for crew rest on those flights.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 4:56 pm

Programs: OnePass
Originally Posted by ssullivan
Not true at all. On 752 flights that require crew rest seats, those seats are never available to customers. They do reserve ELR seats for crew rest on those flights.
Where are the curtains? Crew rest areas are always out of customer view. Very few flights over 8 hours on the 752 anyway, hence no crew rest.

The seats are held for Elites, then released 48 hours prior. Contractually, deadheading crewmembers are supposed to be assigned to exit row seats when available. When the seats don't sell, they're given to space-available pass-riders.

Last edited by guaCOmole; Dec 2, 2010 at 5:05 pm
Old Dec 2, 2010, 6:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Where are the curtains? Crew rest areas are always out of customer view.
Not on the 752.

The seats are held for Elites, then released 48 hours prior.
Nope.

They show as occupied on the new version of the seat map which is better than just not being visible, but they are definitely blocked as crew rest until the aircraft is assigned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.