Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

BREAKING NEWS (joke)! New CO/UA Elite Strategy Detailed in Wikileaks Secret Document!

BREAKING NEWS (joke)! New CO/UA Elite Strategy Detailed in Wikileaks Secret Document!

Old Nov 28, 2010, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Was ABSOLUTELY SHOCKED to find a CONFIDENTIAL State Department analysis that included insight into CO/UA's new posture towards elites on Wikileaks!

Relevant excerpts:

¶4. THE REVERSE OF THIS PARTICULAR PSYCHOLOGICAL COIN...
IS A PERVASIVE UNEASE ABOUT THE NATURE OF THE WORLD IN
WHICH ONE LIVES.... THIS APPROACH UNDERLIES THE SOCALLED
"BAZAAR MENTALITY"...A
MIND-SET THAT OFTEN IGNORES LONGER TERM INTERESTS IN
FAVOR OF IMMEDIATELY OBTAINABLE ADVANTAGES

¶6. FINALLY, THERE ARE THE ... CONCEPTS OF INFLUENCE
AND OBLIGATION. EVERYONE PAYS OBEISANCE TO THE FORMER
AND THE LATTER IS USUALLY HONORED IN THE BREACH.
[THEY] ARE CONSUMED WITH DEVELOPING PARTI BAZI--THE
INFLUENCE THAT WILL HELP GET THINGS DONE--WHILE FAVORS
ARE ONLY GRUDGINGLY BESTOWED AND THEN JUST TO THE
EXTENT THAT A TANGIBLE QUID PRO QUO IS IMMEDIATELY
PRECEPTIBLE. FORGET ABOUT [LOYALTY] PROFERRED LAST
YEAR OR EVEN LAST WEEK; WHAT CAN BE OFFERED TODAY
?

SECOND, ONE SHOULD NOT EXPECT A [NEWLY-MINTED CO/UA EXEC] READILY
TO PERCEIVE THE ADVANTAGES OF A LONG-TERM RELATIONSHIP
BASED ON TRUST. HE WILL ASSUME THAT HIS [LOYAL FFER] IS ESSENTIALLY AN ADVERSARY. IN DEALING WITH
HIM HE WILL ATTEMPT TO MAXIMIZE THE BENEFITS TO HIMSELF
THAT ARE IMMEDIATELY OBTAINABLE. HE WILL BE PREPARED
TO GO TO GREAT LENGTHS TO ACHIEVE THIS GOAL, INCLUDING
RUNNING THE RISK OF SO ALIENATING WHOEVER HE IS DEALING
WITH THAT FUTURE BUSINESS WOULD BE UNTHINKABLE, AT
LEAST TO THE LATTER.

FIFTH, CULTIVATION OF GOODWILL FOR GOODWILL'S SAKE
IS A WASTE OF EFFORT.
THE OVERRIDING OBJECTIVE AT ALL
TIMES SHOULD BE IMPRESSING UPON THE PERSIAN ACROSS THE
TABLE THE MUTUALITY OF THE PROPOSED UNDERTAKINGS, HE
MUST BE MADE TO KNOW THAT A QUID PRO QUO IS INVOLVED
ON BOTH SIDES.

Oh, wait, my bad. NEVER MIND.

This is an internal State Department memo on negotiations strategy with Iranians, from 1979. A bizarre document in its own right. The full Wikileak cable is available here: http://cablegate.wikileaks.org/cable...EHRAN8980.html

Yes, Smisek is NOT Ahmedinejad--I am NOT even hinting at such a comparison. This is a post in good fun.

Reading these passages, though, I did have to wonder: Are these not the most concise and accurate articulations of what seems to be the new CO/UA's strategy regarding its once die-hard loyalists???

For shame...
Old Nov 29, 2010, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Talking

This was hysterical.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 10:49 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Onepass, Skywards
Accurate

While reading Laingen's statements, I was amazed by the accuracy of his observations. This is not a negative or hateful comment.

To me, Laingen merely explains the general way in which Persians do business and interact with the world (outside their immediate family).
It does not mean ALL Persian are like this. Nor does it imply that they have any negative behavior/traits. It merely points out another view point/perspective.

It gives an outsider a better understanding on how to interact with Persians in order to get a more positive outcome. Every country/ culture has habits and behaviors that can cause frustration and resentment to those unaware or unwilling to recognize those differences.

I find that interacting with (some) Persians is basically ......is equal to participating in a challenging mental chess game against a worth challenger.

Just my opinion.
Cheers,

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.