FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Buying 'Food for Purchase' in first class (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/1153913-buying-food-purchase-first-class.html)

belynch Nov 29, 2010 11:07 am

Originally Posted by channa (Post 15332107)
Now there's no mechanism to get free good stuff, but there's all you can drink Bud Light. :td: This change is not exactly positive either.

If someone gave you $100 you'd complain that $100s are too hard to break and would ask for $20s. If someone gave you 5, $20's you'd complain that it makes your wallet too fat and that you'd prefer two $50's.

channa Nov 29, 2010 11:17 am

Originally Posted by belynch (Post 15332289)
If someone gave you $100 you'd complain that $100s are too hard to break and would ask for $20s. If someone gave you 5, $20's you'd complain that it makes your wallet too fat and that you'd prefer two $50's.

Not quite.

Money is flexible and exchangeable. $100s can be broken into $20s, and $20s can be consolidated into $100s and so on.

Now if you can tell me how to convert the free Bud Lights and Smirnoff shots the RCC now offers into glasses of $50/bottle Tattinger champage (which is what I used to get with my chits), I'd really like to know.

sbm12 Nov 29, 2010 11:21 am

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40 (Post 15330671)
, this (no free drinks)

If your loyalty can be swayed by $3 for gawdawful mixers then you're probably not getting enough out of the rest of the program anyways.

jrzyshawn Nov 29, 2010 11:24 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 15332544)
If your loyalty can be swayed by $3 for gawdawful mixers then you're probably not getting enough out of the rest of the program anyways.

It is gawdawful crap. I only tried it because it was complimentary for me on my recent trip. I would Never, Ever pay for that low quality crap mix.

channa Nov 29, 2010 11:26 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 15332544)

Straw that breaks the camel's back my friend.

Nobody is leaving over $3 F drinks alone. $3 charges in F is just one part of the problem. Rock hard Y seats, poor upgrade rates, pay TV in back, selling of ELR seats, tens of dollars upgrades, F nuts in a bag, questionable IRROPS handling, and so on, they all add up.

CO has been chipping away at the value proposition for years now. At some point it's gonna bite them in the you know what.

entropy Nov 29, 2010 11:28 am

Ya'll will be so buzzed from free drinks in the RCC, doubt many will notice.
Like channa, I would use the drink chits for premium champagne (Tattinger, Vueve, Moet..), and I valued and enjoyed those drinks. Bud Light not so much, I would rather have 1 glass of premium champagne than 6 glasses of cheap beer.

sbm12 Nov 29, 2010 11:36 am

Originally Posted by channa (Post 15332621)

Nobody is leaving over $3 F drinks alone. $3 charges in F is just one part of the problem. Rock hard Y seats, poor upgrade rates, pay TV in back, selling of ELR seats, tens of dollars upgrades, F nuts in a bag, questionable IRROPS handling, and so on, they all add up.

And if you, as a customer, experience all those things with some frequency you should leave. There is no point in being loyal to a company if you get nothing in return. The brick will not love you back of its own volition. That said, not everyone experiences all those things or has a problem with them. Applying a blanket statement that "CO sucks because of X, Y & Z" where the X, Y and Z are subjective is a hard sell in many cases. And all of the things you've cited above are very much subjective in terms of impact.

If I never got upgraded, was routinely stranded in a random connecting city and was always in a non-reclining middle seat then I'd stop flying CO. But they seem to be doing enough right enough of the time to keep a few customers around. At least for now.

entropy Nov 29, 2010 11:40 am

y you should leave.
he did.

JetAway Nov 29, 2010 11:47 am

I nearly always choose the UA BOB sandwich package over the UA F lunch or dinner and, as late as last week, have never been charged. I wouldn't be surprised at a charge for a BOB in addition to the regular meal, however.

dan1431 Nov 29, 2010 11:52 am

I recently shared a free Coors light with a fellow FTer at the LAX RCC....reminded me of my college days...back then Coors light was premium (when compared to Natty light :) )

Dan

channa Nov 29, 2010 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 15332756)
And if you, as a customer, experience all those things with some frequency you should leave. There is no point in being loyal to a company if you get nothing in return. The brick will not love you back of its own volition. That said, not everyone experiences all those things or has a problem with them. Applying a blanket statement that "CO sucks because of X, Y & Z" where the X, Y and Z are subjective is a hard sell in many cases. And all of the things you've cited above are very much subjective in terms of impact.

If I never got upgraded, was routinely stranded in a random connecting city and was always in a non-reclining middle seat then I'd stop flying CO. But they seem to be doing enough right enough of the time to keep a few customers around. At least for now.

You're missing the point. You had attempted to trivialize the $3 F drink charge, and I said it's just a straw. Everyone has their own set of straws (some of us more than others). Obviously it's up to the individual to make their own decisions based on their experiences and knowledge of other options out there.

CAL PHL FLYER Nov 29, 2010 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by channa (Post 15332621)

CO has been chipping away at the value proposition for years now. At some point it's gonna bite them in the you know what.

Actually everything in FC that was available before is still free,you now have extra options that you can purchase..Nothing has been taken away except the nasty pillows that I would never use anyway.

warreng24 Nov 29, 2010 4:44 pm

This is a BAD sign.

On UA, F passengers are usually offered a (complimentary) Y BoB item if they reject the offerings in F.

IIRC this is a "published" benefit (posted to FT by a UA FA) and many FA's are aware of it.

channa Nov 29, 2010 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER (Post 15337285)
Actually everything in FC that was available before is still free,you now have extra options that you can purchase..Nothing has been taken away except the nasty pillows that I would never use anyway.

Depends on your perspective, really. When UA and DL had specialty drinks, they were comped in F. US still does, and they're comped in F.

Ysitincoach Nov 29, 2010 8:57 pm

Does this mean I can finally try a cheesecake on a stick?

Do they sell the pretzel bread in Y, I'd pay for that.