Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Presidential Plus Card Holders Need to Band Together!

Old Nov 21, 2010, 5:16 pm
RNE
Original Poster

Case in point. I just booked an Easter getaway to Maui for the Statuesque Mrs. RNE and me. I chose UA flights on united.com because they were cheaper than CO, were at better times with better connections, I got to use my $50 UA voucher, and I receive 3 x $ in miles via purchasing with my Chase United Mileage Plus Visa. ^

But, despite using a Chase card and holding the Chase Presidential Plus card, I'm liable for UA's baggage fees! Considering UA and CO have merged, and more and more PP card holders are going to book UA flights, the PP card's bag fee waiver should count for either carrier or it won't be worth a tinker's dam.

RNE, addressing Jamie and Jeff Baby directly: Gentlemen, as your lord and master, know that I shall be most displeased if this waiver is not in effect by April!
Old Nov 21, 2010, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by RNE
But, despite using a Chase card and holding the Chase Presidential Plus card, I'm liable for UA's baggage fees! Considering UA and CO have merged, and more and more PP card holders are going to book UA flights, the PP card's bag fee waiver should count for either carrier or it won't be worth a tinker's dam.
How many PP card holders are there that don't also have at least CO silver elite status?
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:03 pm
RNE
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
How many PP card holders are there that don't also have at least CO silver elite status?
Touché.

Apparently, however, there are enough non-elite PP card holders for Chase to offer them the benefit of bag fee waivers on CO. Now that CO is UA, the benefit should apply to both.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:26 pm

Programs: United: 1K
Originally Posted by RNE
Touché.

Apparently, however, there are enough non-elite PP card holders for Chase to offer them the benefit of bag fee waivers on CO. Now that CO is UA, the benefit should apply to both.
That would be true but CO isn't UA and UA isn't CO, yet.

You are in no worse a position than when you paid for the card.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by dweick
You are in no worse a position than when you paid for the card.
Correct. You're getting exactly what was promised to you.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:30 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
I can see RNE's issue here...I would think that UA/CO would merge these two entities soon and this will be a non-issue....however, you will be subject to the old rules until that time...
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Why don't you just book tsmrsrne in first class, then you could get a couple of bags free.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by theblakefish
I can see RNE's issue here...I would think that UA/CO would merge these two entities soon and this will be a non-issue....however, you will be subject to the old rules until that time...
That all makes sense, more or less.

It is still a little odd that you can fly on a CO flight, a company which has merged with United, on a plane operated by United Airlines, but still be held to Continental's rules...
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I agree. Heading out on UA tomorrow afternoon IAH-DEN, but am going to have to pay the stupid bag fee. But I think I'm going to pay the 100 bucks to upgrade to first tonight and then I wont have to pay the bag fees.

But I do hope they will move this to the new UA as well.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
That all makes sense, more or less.

It is still a little odd that you can fly on a CO flight, a company which has merged with United, on a plane operated by United Airlines, but still be held to Continental's rules...
The problem is, its not just as simple as CO now being part of the new United Holding Company. It has also to do with whatever agreement CO made with Chase with regards to the reimbursements, etc. It's probably going to take Chase and the new UHC agreeing to what cards they want going forward, including the terms/benefits before we'll see a unified card that has benefits across both operating companies.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CJ1120
The problem is, its not just as simple as CO now being part of the new United Holding Company. It has also to do with whatever agreement CO made with Chase with regards to the reimbursements, etc. It's probably going to take Chase and the new UHC agreeing to what cards they want going forward, including the terms/benefits before we'll see a unified card that has benefits across both operating companies.
Hogwash. They can just comp your bags as a gesture of goodwill...they can do it for anyone, and it certainly would be a small gesture for customers who have already spent a pretty penny (the card's annual fee) with the company.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:57 pm

Hogwash. They can just comp your bags as a gesture of goodwill...they can do it for anyone, and it certainly would be a small gesture for customers who have already spent a pretty penny (the card's annual fee) with the company.
It'll probably cost more than you think. And then the question of who should pay for it...Chase? CO? Both? And out of what budget should it come? The companies calculated a certain cost/profit/revenue balance when they created the card, and you can't just arbitrarily increase a benefit without doing the math, potentially taking another benefit away, and have both companies agree to the changes.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 8:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by CJ1120
It'll probably cost more than you think. And then the question of who should pay for it...Chase? CO? Both? And out of what budget should it come? The companies calculated a certain cost/profit/revenue balance when they created the card, and you can't just arbitrarily increase a benefit without doing the math, potentially taking another benefit away, and have both companies agree to the changes.
but this isnt the only card tied to the bags, its any Chase card, and many have cards even before the bag fees were implemented. So I'm not sure that there is a contractual agreement to split bag fees.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
They could certainly do that. And I'd have no problems with them doing it.

But it's yet another rule that all UA agents need to (temporarily) learn. I am sure they already get a ton of memos with changes due to the merger. I'd suspect the number of people who would benefit from this proposed change is relatively small, so maybe it's just not deemed worth rolling it out to the thousands of UA TAs.

Just look at all the threads in the UA forum (not sure about here) about access to the lounges, and the myriad of rules that agents are expected to apply. And often they get it wrong, going by the messages here.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
They could certainly do that. And I'd have no problems with them doing it.

But it's yet another rule that all UA agents need to (temporarily) learn. I am sure they already get a ton of memos with changes due to the merger. I'd suspect the number of people who would benefit from this proposed change is relatively small, so maybe it's just not deemed worth rolling it out to the thousands of UA TAs.

Just look at all the threads in the UA forum (not sure about here) about access to the lounges, and the myriad of rules that agents are expected to apply. And often they get it wrong, going by the messages here.
No question.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.